This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

dogsbody

Paint Question

While rooting around my paint stash, I came upon some Gunze Sangyo Aqueous paints. I've had them for a number of years now but have never opened the jars until today.

They are still liquid if maybe a little thick. My question(s) are:

1. Are the colour reasonably accurate for a 1/72 model?

2. Are they useable with a hairystick or more airbrushable?

3. What easily available ( non-propriety ) thinner would work with these paints.

46226056805_168d9dbc9f_b.jpg

Chris

Chris,

I’m definitely not claiming to be an authority on the subject however I think that Gunze’s H72 is probably one of the best examples of RAF Dark Earth model paint that is currently available today. The H73 Dark Green is more than adequate and (IMO) they both make a lovely combination when used together. I use an airbrush and thin my paints almost exclusively with Gunze’s Mr. Color Leveling thinner. This is the effect I achieved when these paints were applied over a primer coat of sprayed Mr. Surfacer 1000 and two layers of H20 Matt Clear. I’m afraid besides slight touch ups with a small brush, I cannot comment on their brushing characteristics. 

Cheers.. Dave 

20180612_101239

20180612_100158

20180721_141950

1, They'll do.

2. Easier to brush than Tamiya, but I'd strongly recommend airbrushing.

3. Drug store isopropyl alcohol has worked for me in a pinch. 

I would kill to get some Gunze paints Chris. I used to use them exclusively before my 10 year hiatus. Now ive been told by several shops & importers that i cant import them ? So im left with various acrylics and Tamiya’s acrylic lacquers. 

Chris, I've just used some that I bought in the last century, the bottle maybe a third full and I had to run the lid under very hot water in order to remove the lid. Brush paints better than Tamiya and sprays fantastic. I mix the paint with distilled water, 1:1 or 2:1 depending on my mood. As I mentioned in another thread, there is supposed to be a Canadian suppler and I believe the paint is now called Mr. Hobby Acrysion. The Dark Earth Bottle is still #72 and Dark Green is still #73 and the paint is $2.97CAN for a 10ml  bottle

http://www.meeplemart.com/acrysion-color-6073.aspx?sort=ItemIDDesc

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Chris,

I’m definitely not claiming to be an authority on the subject however I think that Gunze’s H72 is probably one of the best examples of RAF Dark Earth model paint that is currently available today. The H73 Dark Green is more than adequate and (IMO) they both make a lovely combination when used together. I use an airbrush and thin my paints almost exclusively with Gunze’s Mr. Color Leveling thinner. This is the effect I achieved when these paints were applied over a primer coat of sprayed Mr. Surfacer 1000 and two layers of H20 Matt Clear. I’m afraid besides slight touch ups with a small brush, I cannot comment on their brushing characteristics. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ooh! I do like the look of those colours. Some of the best looking DG & DE I've seen in a while. Thanks Dave.

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

1, They'll do.

2. Easier to brush than Tamiya, but I'd strongly recommend airbrushing.

3. Drug store isopropyl alcohol has worked for me in a pinch. 

I've got lots of the IPA, both 70% and 90%, so no worries. Thanks!

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I would kill to get some Gunze paints Chris. I used to use them exclusively before my 10 year hiatus. Now ive been told by several shops & importers that i cant import them ? So im left with various acrylics and Tamiya’s acrylic lacquers. 

Yeah, the store I bought these in closed a few years ago. It was one of the better shops in Edmonton. The Old guy that had owned it sold it to some younger people and they drove it into the dirt.

17 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Chris, I've just used some that I bought in the last century, the bottle maybe a third full and I had to run the lid under very hot water in order to remove the lid. Brush paints better than Tamiya and sprays fantastic. I mix the paint with distilled water, 1:1 or 2:1 depending on my mood. As I mentioned in another thread, there is supposed to be a Canadian suppler and I believe the paint is now called Mr. Hobby Acrysion. The Dark Earth Bottle is still #72 and Dark Green is still #73 and the paint is $2.97CAN for a 10ml  bottle

http://www.meeplemart.com/acrysion-color-6073.aspx?sort=ItemIDDesc

Ha ha! I too had to do the hot water trick to get the DE bottle open. I've got a big jug of distilled water so I'm good there. Thanks for the link.

Thank you, Gentlemen. You've been a great help. That's why this is the best model forum out there, because of people like you.

Chris

If you end up contacting them give me a shout if the paint is in stock yet

On 2/19/2019 at 12:39 AM, dogsbody said:

While rooting around my paint stash, I came upon some Gunze Sangyo Aqueous paints. I've had them for a number of years now but have never opened the jars until today.

They are still liquid if maybe a little thick. My question(s) are:

1. Are the colour reasonably accurate for a 1/72 model?

Chris

Theres are complete and utter crap: You should put them a jiffy bag and send them to me immediately and I'll "dispose" of them for you 👿

Seriously these are superb paints, opening the bottles is dead easy get one of these and its ten seconds:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suffering-Arthritis-Strength-Non-slip-Heavy-duty/dp/B01N97R6SO/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=jar+opener&qid=1552685224&s=gateway&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mr-Hobby-Cap-Opener-56/dp/B0010ZXS7Q

Lastly , try spraying them with lacquer thinners, especially Mr Leveling or Tamiya retarder lacquer, you won't believe how well they go on on, they and the lacquer version have been used on most of my builds that you have occasionally commented on in the last six months. And finish that bloody Hurricane!

Anil

Thanks you, Anil. I happen to have a bottle of Tamiya lacquer thinner. I'll give it a try.

04e95df0-8028-4460-abb9-745e59e4ce11.JPG

Oh! I see that it's not the retarder type. I'll either have to get some of that or get some Tamiya Lacquer retarder.

Whatever, it will have to wait a bit. My sister's eldest son has suddenly passed away after a short illness. I'll be flying across country to the East Coast next week and will be gone for at least a week.

Chris

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Whatever, it will have to wait a bit. My sister's eldest son has suddenly passed away after a short illness. I'll be flying across country to the East Coast next week and will be gone for at least a week.

I'm so sorry, Chris. Please accept my condolences.

Posted (edited)

I primarily use Mr Color lacquers, and they're without peer IMHO. If I can't find colors locally, I purchase them from an ebay store called animetropolis, they're in Taiwan. I just checked, and they do list Gunze Acqueous paints. They have fast service; I usually receive my orders in just over a week.

Edited by dnl42

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Thanks you, Anil. I happen to have a bottle of Tamiya lacquer thinner. I'll give it a try.

04e95df0-8028-4460-abb9-745e59e4ce11.JPG

Oh! I see that it's not the retarder type. I'll either have to get some of that or get some Tamiya Lacquer retarder.

Chris

Actually Chris, this will work very well too, try and you'll be pleasantly surprised. What are you using for priming first?

Posted (edited)

I've used the Gunze Sangye Aqueous paints.  Airbrush or hairy stick fine, I use car windscreen wash as thinners, also with Tamiya.  A touch of flow improver gives better working time with either make when brushing.

Gunze Dark Earth is a lovely colour, though different to say Xtracrylics.  I used both these to show overpainted markings as different in-theatre jobs.  Which is more "correct" is in the eye of the beholder.  Either is better than my experience of Humbrol 29 acrylics, which precipitated out into sludge + dust/grit when thinned even with their dedicated thinners.  Both the Japanese makes will thin right out to a wash without precipitating in my experience.

If my Tamiya or Gunze paint lids are stuck, putting on my washing up gloves (I'm so house-trained) easily gives sufficient grip to get them moving.

For what its worth Gunze takes slightly  more cleaning off the china palette than Tamiya, so maybe it "grips" the model better?

Edited by malpaso

10 hours ago, azureglo said:

Actually Chris, this will work very well too, try and you'll be pleasantly surprised. What are you using for priming first?

I'm not sure. I haven't used my airbrush since the early 90's and then only some practice and a bit on one kit. Since then, work and family just didn't allow time to get into it. I do have some Tamiya spray can primers ( grey and white ) if I do prime first.

So if I use the Tamiya Lacquer thinner, what would be a good retarder? I have some Tamiya acrylic retarder and three other retarder/flow enhancers.

2364b3f2-87b2-4982-a3c6-99a73c8a985b.jpg

968d5687-a58d-413a-90cb-8c52570a303c.JPG

That's if I even go this route, I'm still a bit nervous about airbrushing and I sometimes lean toward the hairystick.  Too many varibles with each choice. too many ways to F it up!

Chris

12 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I'm not sure. I haven't used my airbrush since the early 90's and then only some practice and a bit on one kit. Since then, work and family just didn't allow time to get into it. I do have some Tamiya spray can primers ( grey and white ) if I do prime first.

So if I use the Tamiya Lacquer thinner, what would be a good retarder? I have some Tamiya acrylic retarder and three other retarder/flow enhancers.

2364b3f2-87b2-4982-a3c6-99a73c8a985b.jpg

968d5687-a58d-413a-90cb-8c52570a303c.JPG

That's if I even go this route, I'm still a bit nervous about airbrushing and I sometimes lean toward the hairystick.  Too many varibles with each choice. too many ways to F it up!

Chris

Don't use any of those, they're acrylic retarders and to be honest the Tamiya lacquer thinner will be fine on its own so get rid of that variable. Get some disposable plastic spoons form the grocery store to practice on and if you can prime first, Alclad grey if you can get it readily or just a can of Tamiya own superfine/ordinary grey auto primer will do fine.

With lacquer thinned paints start at about 10-15 PSI about 2 inches away. Depress the trigger fully to get the air flowing ( check no paint is coming out at this stage) then pull back the trigger and trying get a spray pattern of about 1/4-1/2 inch going for priming & colour coats. Build up a couple of thin coats with about 15 mins between each one ( run a few ml of neat thinner through the brush when you're letting the model dry and it'll keep everything unblocked). Airbrushing is just practice and making sure all the equipment is clean and in good shape.

Have fun!

I finally got down to Edmonton last week and hit a few of the hobby shops. I picked up a bottle of this. Now I just need to get off my saggy ol' backside and try to paint my Hurc.

33930551818_57df0cb2e7_b.jpg

The warm weather seems to be finally here so I can open the window in my basement hideaway and vent to the outdoors. I may pick up a small fan to set in the window to help.

Chris