Boulton Paul Defiant.

stevej60

Hiya folk's.with one of these Airfix 1/48 kit's under the belt in the day fighter scheme I'm busy with the Nightfighter version and intend to weather

it quite heavily as seen in some original wartime photos,I assume metal wear should be on the wing to fuselage area and engine cover's only weren't

these aircraft mainly wood and fabric?Help appreciated.

Hi

Just to add info from a copy the AP 1592 manual i have 

the fairings fore and aft of the turret were wood, as were the undercarriage fairing doors 

rudder, elevators and ailerons were fabric covered

everything else all metal construction

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Just to add info from a copy the AP 1592 manual i have 

the fairings fore and aft of the turret were wood, as were the undercarriage fairing doors 

rudder, elevators and ailerons were fabric covered

everything else all metal construction

cheers

jerry

Thank's Jerry,I'm about to prime her but brush painted the forward fuselage and wing root's enamel aluminium.once the final coat is on

I can scuff back on the walked on area and chip the fasteners on the engine panel's,looking at photo's it was more the paint finish that

weathered a great deal.

If the aircraft was painted in standard Night then it weathered quite well.  However in 1941 many (if not all)  were painted in Special Night (RDM 2) which was basically lamp black (used for the interiors of cameras) which had such poor adhesion it reputedly would come off if you brushed your hand along it.  Obviously this wouldn't stay neat for long under the tender care of RAF boots and the British weather.

14 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Nightfighter version and intend to weather

it quite heavily as seen in some original wartime photos,

As always, have a read here 

Boulton%20Paul%20Defiant%208%20(01)-960.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/08-Boulton-Paul-Defiant

eg 

Boulton%20Paul%20Defiant%208%20(14)-960.

and

Boulton%20Paul%20Defiant%208%20(20)-960.

but have a read of the whole thing....

and this

Boulton-Paul-Defiant-NFII-AA370-England-

On 08/05/2017 at 23:57, Nick Millman said:

An old method used to simulate the RDM2 finish on models was to apply an enamel blue-black Night then a poster paint black over that (Pelikan Plaka was favoured) but it resulted in a pristine looking, albeit dead matt black finish unless roughed up. The primer paint applied under the Night intermediate coat on the real aircraft was grey and would be revealed in extreme cases of weathering or damage to the paint surface.

Surface chalking can be simulated by lightly spraying a heavily thinned down pale grey over the black but I don't think that would work with the poster paint!

HTH

T

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

If the aircraft was painted in standard Night then it weathered quite well.  However in 1941 many (if not all)  were painted in Special Night (RDM 2) which was basically lamp black (used for the interiors of cameras) which had such poor adhesion it reputedly would come off if you brushed your hand along it.  Obviously this wouldn't stay neat for long under the tender care of RAF boots and the British weather.

Thank's again Graham that has changed the direction on the painting as the Aircraft scheme is a November 1940 one so a more restrained weathered finish is in order.

Looking at the Ducimus text Troy has posted, RDM2A was standard in 1940 too, so I'm not sure you can (historically) get away with that.  Unless it says more on the next page...  However as long as you do a dead matt finish you can always claim it was freshly painted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

HTH

As alway's Troy many thank's,while I was trawling for photo's I came across a fellow modeller's site of interest is the coloured photo on the left

at the bottom of the page not sure if it's been colourised if not we've been getting the Defiant's exhaust finishes very wrong🙁

https://forgottenhobby.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/boulton-paul-defiant-mk-1/

Edited by stevej60