Tamiya 1/16 Sengoku Period Samurai Warrior

Hi all

Testing out options to post photos (via Google Photos) and also posting this WIP on the Samurai. kit  I have had this kit for ages and wanted to try to build a large scale figure and use Vallejo paints on a figure for the first time.

Here is the obligatory kit post.  Not many parts as you can see. The painting instructions suggest using colours of your own choice.

7YbSVGxtmoTaQQP5_JW5LlOIduJ4blgv-XmKxyU7

yL1n6VgqIxMm8383_ziUwbTctKTxOArMQQwWnKI2

Edited by Anthony Kesterton
Fixed bad sentence
  • Like 6

Hi,

I really like most of the kit. Frankly, everything but the face. I cant help it but I really dislike the face. It looks like a 75 years old retired (not asian) man dressing up in one of his collections 😉 Other than that, a really cool kit! 

Personally, I probably would cover his face with a mask. But anyway, I will check this thread for updates 😉 

btw. I cant open the pictures, there will be a Stop-like Sign. I was hoping for a better look at the details. 

Stefan

If you want to grab a few references I'd recommend anything by Stephen Turnbull - he's very much the "go-to" man that Osprey Publishing use for their Samurai books. By the looks of it the Mon or badge on the back of his Jinbaori seems to be that of the Tokugawa Clan, although the shape seems a bit off.

Mike.

I started this kit some time ago - and spent a lot of time trying to get rid of seam lines and fill gaps.  Then a coat of Tamiya Fine Primer to see what more work was needed.  Some filling/sanding, and finally got to the point where it looks ok. 

I do need to sand back a few places where there is a primer run, or other blemishes. Photos to follow.

6 hours ago, andmarsh said:

I wouldn't mind having a go at this - so used to painting 28mm miniatures

Where did you buy the kit from?

Excellent question - I had to dig a little.  It turns out that I bought the kit from the US in 2008 on eBay.  I clearly like my kits to "ripen" by leaving them unbuilt for a bit 🙂

I suspect they are hard to find in the UK (a quick search did not turn up anything).  Might still be available from overseas.  I did notice a Miniart kit in the same scale that seems to be more freely available.

3 hours ago, MikeR said:

If you want to grab a few references I'd recommend anything by Stephen Turnbull - he's very much the "go-to" man that Osprey Publishing use for their Samurai books. By the looks of it the Mon or badge on the back of his Jinbaori seems to be that of the Tokugawa Clan, although the shape seems a bit off.

I will definitely bear that in mind (Stephen Turnbull/Osprey).  Thanks for the recommendations Mike.

Meant to add - the instructions say the armour is called tosei-gusoko and is from the last [sic] 16th century. I assume they mean late 16th century.

Edited by Anthony Kesterton

11 hours ago, andmarsh said:

I wouldn't mind having a go at this - so used to painting 28mm miniatures

Where did you buy the kit from?

Tamiya ones out of production now, next best would be Miniart I would think

https://hlj.com/1-16-scale-13th-century-samurai-mna16028

4 hours ago, andmarsh said:

bought these https://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/tamiya-135-samurai-figures-x4/

something different to paint 😁

I have those too (unbuilt - there is a pattern emerging here). I think they are nice 1/35 figures.   There is a story around those people that is included in the instructions.

22 minutes ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

I have those too (unbuilt - there is a pattern emerging here). I think they are nice 1/35 figures.   There is a story around those people that is included in the instructions.

edit.....Order cancelled not in stock apparently..

so i took a gamble on these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000C0X9OW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1