Frog(spawn) Martin Baltimore as FA435, Hal Far 1946.

20190218-131511-Copy.jpg

20190218-131631-Copy.jpg

20190218-131619-Copy.jpg

20190218-131705-Copy.jpg

FA435 served in RAAF 454 squadron during the last year of the war.  Post WW2, she was assigned to the Fleet Air Arm and based at Hal Far in Malta.   Sadly, at the end of her service, in 1946, she was disposed of by rolling her over the cliffs there into the sea below.

This is the old Frog mould issued by Novo and using Kits At War decals to represent FA435.   I had some trouble with a few of the decals drying wrinkled and it took several rounds of solvent to get them to an acceptable level.

Inquiring here produced a consensus that the cowlings were definitely a dark colour, probably green.  So that's what I put on there.  With green cowlings, she was possibly an Admiral's Barge, so I left her pretty clean.

David

• Like 38

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Lovely work David

Great to see another Frog kit getting built.

We have a Frog Group Build here on BM coming up, if you are interested ?

cheers Pat

I'm afraid the timing won't work for me.  I spend summer away from home up in Canada.

David

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Womby said:

I'm afraid the timing won't work for me.  I spend summer away from home up in Canada.

David

You could sneak a small one in your case, it will help while away the hours in the log cabin sitting in front of a roaring fire in the evenings...

Obviously no stereotypes here about everyone in Canada living in log cabins making Maple syrup ;)

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

You could sneak a small one in your case, it will help while away the hours in the log cabin sitting in front of a roaring fire in the evenings...

Obviously no stereotypes here about everyone in Canada living in log cabins making Maple syrup ;)

cheers Pat

Yes, clearly no stereotyping in your post.   

I could make a model there but we choose not to have access to the internet at our summer home.  I get email on my sporadic visits to the the local library.  So participating in the GB would be VERY intermittent.

David

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, David Womby said:

Yes, clearly no stereotyping in your post.   

I could make a model there but we choose not to have access to the internet at our summer home.  I get email on my sporadic visits to the the local library.  So participating in the GB would be VERY intermittent.

David

Good for you David

Enjoy the break, very envious 

cheers Pat

Nice work!

I'm often surprised how many Frog kits are still out there to be built.

When I was a young'un the Airfix kits were ubiquitous, while the Frog kits were less so.

Glad to see the Frogs still build into a nice model, under hands as skilled as yours.

👍👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

You have made a nice job of that. I just completed a Frog/Novo Blenheim kit. It was a nightmare of flash and hard plastic. How was yours? 

Greg,   this one was a Novo mould like your Blenheim and the plastic was a weird tan colour, brittle and very hard.   At first I had doubts that cement would work on it but it was fine.   Not much flash thankfully.

Most Novo issues that I have are a soft grey plastic which I like.   Then there's some other kits from the post Novo era of Fragspawn that come in weird coloured plastics like yellow and orange and I had one Canberra that needed scrubbing to get the sticky dark brown layer of oil (mould release oil?) off it!

Anyway, I love the old Frog moulds - they may lack detail but they are often pretty accurate in outline.

David

16 hours ago, David Womby said:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Greg,   this one was a Novo mould like your Blenheim and the plastic was a weird tan colour, brittle and very hard.   At first I had doubts that cement would work on it but it was fine.   Not much flash thankfully.

Most Novo issues that I have are a soft grey plastic which I like.   Then there's some other kits from the post Novo era of Fragspawn that come in weird coloured plastics like yellow and orange and I had one Canberra that needed scrubbing to get the sticky dark brown layer of oil (mould release oil?) off it!

Anyway, I love the old Frog moulds - they may lack detail but they are often pretty accurate in outline.

David

You are lucky you didn't try and scribe it. I did with the Blenheim and it was a nightmare trying to keep the scriber on track.  I had to fill it and do it several time. It was also my first attempt with scribing. I should have chosen a different model to learn on.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:32 AM, David Womby said:

I could make a model there but we choose not to have access to the internet at our summer home. 

Good on you Dave.. that sounds like something people would have done over 100 years ago these days. I often think about these pre-internet / wifi days and do believe that life was both simpler and almost happier. It’s not that I’m knocking technology, how would we all survive without this great website, but times have changed completely since this information revolution and not always for the better IMO

Cheers and enjoy the holiday... Dave 

Oh, lovely Frog Baltimore as well and nice to see one painted in a post war and somewhat different scheme. 

My philososphy with FROG kits and their descendants is to try and build kits that were actually moulded by FROG themselves. The post FROG collapse Novo branded kits are fine reagrding the plastic although the plastic is softer and the decals included with those Novo releases were never very usable - even when brand new.

The later Soviet issued kits are a different matter as the plastic, as well as coming in the oddest variety of colours, can be very inconsistent regarding how it accepts polystyrene cement, fillers etc.