Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1

Hello Everyone,

Please see my Airfix 1/24 scale Spit Mk1A. Some of you may have been see the Work in Progress thread and are aware that his taken me nigh on 3 months to complete this!

The age and general condition of the kit meant that there were very few parts that did not need shaping or filling. 

I am cheating a little since I still plan to put it in a diorama with ground crew, but I may take a break before I get to that! The aircraft itself is complete.😉

Feel free to point out all my mistakes!

Dave

46403441824_faefcfbb38_b.jpg

33251710188_6b2b145018_b.jpg

40162118003_c7348ac5c1_b.jpg

40162118053_bc09841d47_b.jpg

33262058578_4fe8813ef9_b.jpg

• Like 46

37 minutes ago, David Womby said:

I love that.

Perhaps, for such a well worn Spitfire,  you might consider a bit more gunstaining on the wings?   here's a pic:  http://users.telenet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/fgun/spiti-b.jpg

David

Yeah, I did have a think about that. 

As I wanted to show it under maintenance I ended up with lmuch less gun and exhaust staining than I would have used otherwise.

You’re probably right, though. I’ll work on that for the diorama.

Dave

Edited by Cloudman1961
Typo

Fantastic treatment of the ancient Airfix kit, transforming it into a convincing Spitfire!

I assume the markings are masked and airbrushed? They look totally 'right', not like pasted-on decals.

Perhaps it's the photo angle, but the main gear looks a bit odd, as if the legs are splayed instead of being virtually perpendicular viewd from straight ahead. This is a similar angle:

https://www.alamy.com/raf-fighter-command-1940-supermarine-spitfire-mk-i-r6800-lz-n-flown-by-the-co-of-no-66-squadron-sqn-ldr-rupert-leigh-running-up-its-engine-at-gravesend-september-1940-image178241089.html

Superb modelling!. Now waiting for the diorama… 😉

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spitfire31 said:

I assume the markings are masked and airbrushed? They look totally 'right', not like pasted-on decals.

Perhaps it's the photo angle, but the main gear looks a bit odd, as if the legs are splayed instead of being virtually perpendicular viewd from straight ahead. This is a similar angle:

The markings are a Montex mask set (LO-A) 602 Sqn August 1940. I’ve used masks a few times and I much prefer them on larger kits.

I’m afraid you’re right about the gear although the photo angle makes it look worse than it is. I spent a lot of  time wrestling with the inside structure of the wings, but in the end neither dihedral nor the under carriage angle came out as intended. Unfortunately, at that point I was committed. 

So I accepted the compromise and moved on🤫

Edited by Cloudman1961
Typo

1 hour ago, Cloudman1961 said:

The markings are a Montex mask set (LO-A) 602 Sqn August 1940.

Hi Dave

it's come out really well, but how come the spinner is sky?  I couldn't find the actual mask set so not sure what the instructions say.

Anyway, great to one of these old beasts given some actual modelling :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

...how come the spinner is sky?

Thanks Troy, 

This is one reason why I picked this aircraft. It is, at least, what the instructions say and I could find no reason to assume they were incorrect. 

As always, I’m happy to be corrected.

😀

Dave

Looks really good from that old kit. The colours look pretty well spot on to me which is something which spoils many a Spit in my opinion.

Might it be possible to move one of the wheels slightly and pose the model on jack stands with the U/C partly retracted - may need an erk in the cockpit or at least leaning into the cockpit. Don't like the flaps down but if it was under maintenance it is possible - I always think it spoils the lines of the wing. The surface detail looks really nice - will have to dust down my old (very very old) kit and take a serious look.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Baldy said:

The colours look pretty well spot on...

Might it be possible to move one of the wheels slightly and pose the model on jack stands with the U/C partly retracted - may need an erk in the cockpit or at least leaning into the cockpit.

I used Mr Hobby acrylics having referenced the IPMS website. Not always right, but it came out well. The roundel colours were mixed from Tamiya acrylics and if anyone wants the mixes let me know.

I’m afraid the undercarriage doesn’t move, as I say I committed myself when I completed the wing.

1/24 scale erks are few an far between, unfortunately. If anyone can help with that, I’d welcome being pointed in the right direction. I have a Tamiya Rally Car maintenance team that looks useful.

57 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

how come the spinner is sky?  I couldn't find the actual mask set so not sure what the instructions say.

This is the Mask set.

The second aircraft is intriguing - 19 Squadron from May 1940 'QV'. The wing underside is black/white while the fuselage is painted aluminium.

Montex mask L1027

43 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

This is one reason why I picked this aircraft. It is, at least, what the instructions say and I could find no reason to assume they were incorrect. 

it would be unusual,  and I've not seen a photo of the plane in question.  there are example of coloured BoB spinners, but they are well documented exceptions, and the practice was unofficial and disapproved of. 

Is there a serial and /or pilot for the plane? 

OK, got it

Spitfire I, L1027 LOoA of 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron - as you can tell from the serial the aircraft is an early one, but I believe that (at least some and probably all of) the original 602 Squadron Spitfires were refitted to 1a standards in May 1940 - L1027 is portrayed in August when they were based at Westhampnett, one of Tangmere's satellite stations. L1027 carried a cartoon of a flying toilet as its nose art (and had an unflattering nickname to match... there is a fine photo of the artwork and a brief story of L1027 in Douglas McRoberts' book on 602 Squadron "Lions Rampant"). Ellis Aries flew it to shoot down a Do17 on 26 August and Nigel Rose was shot down and wounded by a Bf110 while flying it on 11 September. It was subsequently repaired/rebuilt and went to 53 OTU, stalled and crash-landed at Llandow on 28 September 1941 and was struck off charge a few days later. Anyway here is my representation of "The Flying Outhouse"*

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't black....

11 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

1/24 scale erks are few an far between, unfortunately. If anyone can help with that, I’d welcome being pointed in the right direction. I have a Tamiya Rally Car maintenance team that looks useful.

They are probably your best bet, I don't know of anything else really of use.   One oif the figures from the Airfix Mosquito perhaps,  but for erks they do at least have coveralls

cheers

T

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

The second aircraft is intriguing - 19 Squadron from May 1940 'QV'. The wing underside is black/white while the fuselage is painted aluminium.

it's not intriguing, it's standard!  Sky only came in in June 1940, before that...

Supermarine%20Spitfire%20Camo%20&%20Mark

note 3rd  image on right with caption "standard factory finish on underside, 23 feb to 11th june, Night ,White,  Aluminium "

Aluminium paint, not bare metal, under nose and rear fuselage

see here for the full story

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/01-Supermarine-Spitfire

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Cloudman1961 said:

I used Mr Hobby acrylics having referenced the IPMS website. Not always right, but it came out well. The roundel colours were mixed from Tamiya acrylics and if anyone wants the mixes let me know.

I’m afraid the undercarriage doesn’t move, as I say I committed myself when I completed the wing.

Doh! - Never thought of that - 1/24 figures is not something I've liked at. 

Cheers

Malcolm

I bought the original back in 1973 or so. I don't remember any problems building it. It cost me £2.75, a lot of money for a 13 year old back then. But the moulds were new so it went together well.

I have the later Airfix reissue and acquired actual Airfix Mk 1 decals off eBay. So I want to build the original Al Deere markings.

Thanks for your model. Relives my youth.

12 hours ago, noelh said:

I bought the original back in 1973 or so. I don't remember any problems building it. It cost me £2.75, a lot of money for a 13 year old back then. But the moulds were new so it went together well.

I have the later Airfix reissue and acquired actual Airfix Mk 1 decals off eBay. So I want to build the original Al Deere markings.

Thanks for your model. Relives my youth.

Guess you should go for some new roundels. Especially the red will be far from reality. Best probably to get some masks for them. 

• Thanks 1