The Gannet, the airbrush, the etch and its' folding tool.

Hi All

On 4/2/2019 at 3:17 PM, CedB said:

Berna clamp problems? I think the jaws might be on the wrong way around… mine have the flat bits on the outside?

Hi Ced, do you mean the yellow rubbery bits on the ends? They are reversible to grip either flat or convex surfaces. The trouble I had was the legs swinging around whilst trying to get them in position, then them gradually weaselling themselves off just as I thought they were in a good spot.

No more of that, thanks to the Miracle Of LEGO!

Anyhoo, the results are in from the Dark Sea Grey mini-experimental sideline.

I must admit it's not what I was expecting, even after watching hours of YouTube tutorials.

There again, I nearly drowned when I was young because I rushed straight into a swimming pool thinking I could swim after watching the Rolf Harris series "Learn To Swim".

So, the contenders are Vallejo Model Air 71.048 Dark Sea Grey and Tamiya XF-54 Dark Sea Grey.

Vallejo tried mixed with about 20% of their Matt Medium 70.540 and a drop of Airbrush Thinners 71.261 to try to get it translucent like I've seen done, but it proved so thick that it wouldn't spray at all, so it was abandoned and just sprayed neat from the bottle with a drop of Thinners.

The Tamiya was diluted about 30% with their X-20A.

Here they are on the Light Grey

DSCF7859.jpg

And here on the NATO Black / Black

DSCF7860.jpg

And the Vallejo on both

DSCF7861.jpg

Not much of a waistline.

So where does that leave me?

Well, the Vallejo is the darker one and closer to the Dark Sea Grey I've seen in the photos of the 1:1 aircraft, so that's the one I'll be using, the Tamiya seems like an ordinary grey.

They both sprayed about the same, oddly slightly thick, though each being drops as opposed to a mist, and yet wet and runny.

It's a mystery, swimming is much easier.

Right, less pontificating about the bush, and on with the build proper.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Hi Ced, do you mean the yellow rubbery bits on the ends? They are reversible to grip either flat or convex surfaces. The trouble I had was the legs swinging around whilst trying to get them in position, then them gradually weaselling themselves off just as I thought they were in a good spot.

Yep, that's what I meant. The inventor has posted here to much, er, reaction. That said, I like them for their 'gentle grip'.

That said they are a bit 'Marmite'.

I like 'em! :) 

• Like 2

Hi All

Hi @CedB, the trouble I was having with them was getting them in position in the first place, one hand holds the kit, one hand holds one jaw, and another hand is needed to catch the other jaw swinging around and clamp it snug.

Now I can maneuver them single handedly and I like 'em again too!

Anyhoo, I bit the bullet and over a couple of snatched sessions managed to get a coat of light Sky on all the undersides parts

DSCF7863.jpg

The props are Tamiya XF-3 Flat Yellow, masked up waiting for some sort of black.

Also got the wheels done

DSCF7864.jpg

The photos I've seen of her don't show her nose wheels in colour, so I've painted Port Red and Starboard Green for a bit of interest.

I dabbed on some wash that seemed to flow everywhere, need to be more sparing if I'm to use it on the surfaces.

Little steps.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Now I can maneuver them single handedly and I like 'em again too!

Good news Steve :) 

Looking good in the Sky.

• Thanks 1

Great work with an undercarriage and wheels, Steve! :like:

16 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

The photos I've seen of her don't show her nose wheels in colour, so I've painted Port Red and Starboard Green for a bit of interest.

The photos I’ve seen shows that you’re done it absolutely right.

Cheers! 😎

• Thanks 1

Hi All

Quite a mixed bag these past couple of days, involving realisation, frustration, resignation, trepidation, and elation with a liquid almost, but not entirely unlike, Guinness.

First up, I realised that to fit the flaps the fully deployed as I had previously planned, I'd have to alter the wing trailing edge slots for the adapted brackets to fit.

Secondly, I became frustrated at the mess I was making of the also previously applied Sky finish while doing the remedial work (yes I know I should have done the work and sorted out a solution before spraying, but what can I say?). No photos obvs.

Thirdly I became resigned to mounting the flaps retracted to hide the scar tissue, and also as I'd snapped three brackets and lost a fourth to the Carpet Monster.

I've no idea why Revell supply parts to have the flaps half way, there seems to be scant photographic record of them this way in operation.

Anyhoo, it was with great trepidation that I masked off and prepped for spraying the Vallejo Model Air 71.048 Dark Sea Grey

The result?

DSCF7865.jpg

I'm so happy.

So, so, happy.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11

9 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

Quite a mixed bag these past couple of days, involving realisation, frustration, resignation, trepidation, and elation with a liquid almost, but not entirely unlike, Guinness.

There's a frood who really knows where his towel is. :D 

Looking very cool Steve.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looking awfully good already, you are right to paint the nose wheels to show port / starboard

I've seen that on almost every Gannet I have looked at

I suspect its to assist the deck crews in unpacking and towing around the ships, there's a long unwieldy hookyclampysteery device that was used to handle Gannets with the big whizzy things spinning about just above their heads

Colour coding the wheels would ensure they were put on the plane quickly, in the right orientation maybe

At any minute now James will pop in, I hope, to tell us the real reason

🍻

• Like 3

Steve, this is a great narration of a very entertaining build! Neither a subject nor scale that I would necessarily build, but nevertheless I'm hooked*

Alan

9 hours ago, CedB said:

There's a frood who really knows where his towel is. :D 

Can't beat a good HGTTG reference 👏👏👏

*(sophisticated flight deck related wordplay, yeah?) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, perdu said:

I suspect its to assist the deck crews in unpacking and towing around the ships, there's a long unwieldy hookyclampysteery device that was used to handle Gannets with the big whizzy things spinning about just above their heads

Colour coding the wheels would ensure they were put on the plane quickly, in the right orientation maybe

At any minute now James will pop in, I hope, to tell us the real reason

The nosewheels had colour coded cover discs because they were different internally.  The port wheel had a clutch mechanism which enable the two wheels to lock together over a certain speed so to reduce shimy on take-off landing etc, but able to disengage for ground handling reasons.  You wouldn't want to mix the wheels up!

Lovely work on your Gannet Steve.  Flaps half way down was take-off, if I remember right the positions were housed, slow handling flight, take-off, and landing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

You know what it is, occasionally a blinding flash of "YES! EXCELLENT! WHY WOULD IT BE ANY OTHER WAY!?!" comes along, and it all make sense.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, 71chally said:

The nosewheels had colour coded cover discs because they were different internally.  The port wheel had a clutch mechanism which enable the two wheels to lock together over a certain speed so to reduce shimy on take-off landing etc, but able to disengage for ground handling reasons.  You wouldn't want to mix the wheels up!

Brilliant, thanks!

And then, to crown it all

On 4/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, 71chally said:

Flaps half way down was take-off, if I remember right the positions were housed, slow handling flight, take-off, and landing.

Looking with renewed purpose through t'Interweb photos, I can now see the blurred grainy pattern appearing.

I missed them all first time around, @71chally frood and no mistake!

On 4/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, perdu said:

a long unwieldy hookyclampysteery device

I used to have a bright yellow one of those for the steering wheel on my Fiat 126 as an Anti-Theft Device. One night someone broke in and stole it, left the car.

Anyhoo, time to assemble the motly collection of parts

DSCF7866.jpg

Tail dry fitted

DSCF7867.jpg

Wings just as good

DSCF7868.jpg

Underside has a slight gap

DSCF7870.jpg

Here's where the Hudson Experiment comes in

A drop of Tamiya XF-21 Sky in with the PPP

DSCF7871.jpg

Aaand...

DSCF7872.jpg

Might give them a second application if they niggle me, might not.

So, after a couple of sessions

DSCF7873.jpg

Flaps and, er... flaps to add to the wings, then let's see what happens.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

A drop of Tamiya XF-21 Sky in with the PPP

DSCF7871.jpg

Aaand...

DSCF7872.jpg

😮 Why have I never seen this technique before? Simple but genius.

Alan

• Like 3

Great tip for colouring the PPP Steve - the Prof's science helps us again!

Looking really good and I love the smooth finish :) 

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 4/16/2019 at 11:10 AM, 71chally said:

However just noticed the belly shots, there is a ruddy great line down the middle on real Gannets to separate the bomb doors

Yeah... I know... and there's the split down the join of the two large nose wheel doors too... After reading about the horror fit issues I was going for less filler at the expense of accuracy. However, as I now know it's just down to the internal floor being too wide in the first place, my future self Gannet build will have that seen to.

The final push now with the canopies. They have 'tails' on them to indicate the rails when they are closed, so they came off

DSCF7875.jpg

The Eduard masks for these are a bit vague, elongated horse-shoe affairs filled in with Maskol

DSCF7876.jpg

The spinners got some masking love too

DSCF7877.jpg

And also the aerial post

DSCF7878.jpg

Removing the nose masking was slightly underwhelming

DSCF7879.jpg

I've a feeling the forward white stripe starts from behind the blade opening and not the base of the nose cap.

I'll see if I'm still niggled once the blades are in

DSCF7880.jpg

DSCF7881.jpg

Hmm...

I'll give it a clean up and dwell on it.

Anyhoo, next up Stickers!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

Hi All

Stickers on!

DSCF7883.jpg

They've gone on really well and have settled down mostly with an application on Micro Sol.

A couple of areas to note are the lines indicating the step holes up to the front cockpit

DSCF7884.jpg

They should stop on the perimeter of the step opening, so I'll have to carefully cut them back.

They should be trimmed shorter before putting them on, so now you know.

Also requiring some attention are the teeny little yellow marks to the sliding canopy corners

DSCF7885.jpg

I'm going to run my sharpest blade round them and hope they don't dissolve.

I don't know if slicing the outside edge off before putting them on would have helped, as that would make them smaller than the very small thing they already are, but it might be worth a try if you have an electron microscope.

Anyhoo, matt varnish next on the list, then cockpit internals and legs on.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Hi All

1st step backwards:

I left out the arrester hook from when joining the halves together because of the high likelyhood of me snapping it during the rest of the build, so after much careful sanding

DSCF7886.jpg

Ok, now spliced back together and drying.

2nd step backwards:

I gave everything a light coat of Vallejo 70.520 Matt Varnish, cut with about 30% of their Airbrush Thinners as I didn't want it looking thick like I seem to get with the Windsor & Newton matt

DSCF7887.jpg

Anyone else see the faint greying of the black?

Almost like a fog?

No?

Just me then?

It looks like it's on the main airframe too, but at this stage I'm just going to put it down to Colour Scale Effect and press on.

1st step forwards:

Unmasking the canopies without shattering them!

DSCF7889.jpg

The rear one is still cracked, but at least the corner decals didn't come off with the masks.

2nd step forwards, and this is a biggie...

DSCF7890.jpg

There's a light line around where the masks came off, might try toning it down with dilute EDSG if it continues to draw my eye.

The last final push approaches with the seats and PE seatbelts, and these little handle critters that go on the insides of the sliding canopy sections

DSCF7895.jpg

Take a good look, this might be the last time anyone ever sees them (except the Carpet Monster who is licking his lips)

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, ProfSparks said:

Anyone else see the faint greying of the black?

I can just see it on the prop, but only just. Can't really tell on the main airframe. Definitely a cleverly applied filter of Colour Scale effect .....😉

She is certainly looking great.

Terry

• Thanks 1