The Gannet, the airbrush, the etch and its' folding tool.

James also forgot to mention, most naval aircraft in the FAA get their wheel wells painted  the same colour as the outer surface colour so yours will be Sky if you are building an AS Gannet

Which might mean the nose wheel bay stays Sky too

Check carefully which Gannet you are gong to build

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProfSparks said:

Advice appreciated and taken on board for the next one.

Can't offer advice I'm afraid, but like the idea that there will be more Gannet's ............................😁

Great work so far!

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I likes it. Good technique for the wires.

Don't get me started on excessive sprue gates... but...

On 3/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, ProfSparks said:

DSCF7728.jpg

Is it worth scratching a replacement. The original looks a little thick and blobby anyhow. Worth a crack and it will go well with all the other details you're adding.

• Thanks 1

Hi All

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just be wary that the rear portholes only appear on some Gannets (from memory earlier production examples), worth checking references to choose to have them or not.

Thanks, don't know how I forgot about these, but yes the pics I've found of XA321 are decidedly porthole free.

Duly filled with scrap card, and will be painted on the inside / filled on the outside in due course

DSCF7745.jpg

Complete this sentence to win no prize:-

I was going to use the kit parts as blanks, but...

1) they didn't fit

2) even after sanding down they didn't fit

3) I dropped one and found sanding card was easier.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

James also forgot to mention, most naval aircraft in the FAA get their wheel wells painted  the same colour as the outer surface colour so yours will be Sky if you are building an AS Gannet

Which might mean the nose wheel bay stays Sky too

Check carefully which Gannet you are gong to build

The couple of shots I found are in B&W, an none show the wheel wells, so I figure I'll do the main ones in Aluminium and the nose in black just to add a bit of variety.

There's then going to be  a sudden trove of information unearthed with specific information on paint.

Anyhoo, anyone spot my (obviously intentional) undercarriage geometry gaff?

Comments, suggestions, and answers on a Post Card to

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Hi All

Bit of a nose / leg job!

I made a new cross brace for the leg to stand on, and cut off the blobby bits that should be the rams

DSCF7750.jpg

A couple of short lengths of plastic rod and that's just about all you'll see

DSCF7751.jpg

DSCF7752.jpg

There's wire pipework to go in too, but it'll wait until after the paint and everything gets jammed together.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

* answer to the geometry gaff:- I lined the leg square transversally with regard to the lower wing surface, but as everyone knows, the Gannet has a gull wing.

Should have been forward / aft square.

Leeway on those struts, and still would have been too long anyway.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 6

Hi All

I lined the nose with some plastic bag and layered in some PVA glue and ballast

DSCF7753.jpg

So that I could still get the halves apart

DSCF7761.jpg

And get the nose wheel bay in with a bit of wriggle room for a decent fit

DSCF7762.jpg

It's slightly forward of the kit locating shoulders, but lets the bomb bay doors wrap smoothly round the sides.

While this dried I gave the main gear bays a coat of Stynylrez Grey and a quick squirt of VA 71.062 Aluminium

DSCF7764.jpg

They should grubby up / dull down slightly, but not too much as these were kept nice and clean.

Hopefully get the wings together tonight, and even possibly the fuselage sides!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Hi All

While the fuselage is being clamped in sections, I moved on to the flaps.

There are many period photos of them with the flaps retracted thus

DSCF7775.jpg

But those shown with the flaps in the half way position, as Revell has an option for, are mostly museum / derelict.

I'd like to do half the flaps at half mast, and the outer ones fully out

DSCF7778.jpg

This requires cutting the supplied hinge arm thingies, and as Mr Revell saw fit to include an extra set of arms in my box, it's almost like an invitation and it would be rude not to.

From this

DSCF7776.jpg

DSCF7777.jpg

Through this

DSCF7780.jpg

DSCF7781.jpg

DSCF7782.jpg

To hopefully removing the remnants of the short lower bracket.

Back after more playing experimenting

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

Hi All

I think this will work. Cut like this

DSCF7783.jpg

The actuator mechanism slot needs to be enlarged slightly

DSCF7784.jpg

And it should all sit in like this

DSCF7785.jpg

I'll put some rod on the end of the lower arm as it disappears into the wing, possibly a bit that was cut from the bracket in the first place.

This is more of a memory aide, as it could be a little while before I get to fitting them.

Anyhoo, theory confirmed.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

Hi All

Moving down to the dust bin, I wanted to paint it out of the fuselage, so off with its' end stops and most of it's length (depth?)

DSCF7788.jpg

It looked to need to lose about this much

DSCF7791.jpg

DSCF7792.jpg

It's sitting low to allow for the internal brace to stop it from dropping through to the inside

DSCF7794.jpg

DSCF7795.jpg

DSCF7796.jpg

Some placement adjustment and a line of PPP should see it right.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Hi All

A couple of sessions sanding my parts, including this

DSCF7798.jpg

The edge of the front spinner needed to be thinned down quite a bit for it to sit flush with its' backplate

The body seam also saw some attention with Mr Surfacer 500

DSCF7799.jpg

Then on to one of the mission critical parts that I wasn't looking forward to, the canopies

DSCF7800.jpg

There is a mould seam down the centre of each one, and one of them is fractured.

I had the dreads about working my way through nine grades of Micromesh with the area ever expanding, so gave the mystery bargain bag blue sanding stick a go.

DSCF7801.jpg

Must say I'm impressed! The light blue side took the seams off with nary a scuff, and the white side polished them up a treat.

Not even enough pressure needed to split the cracked one.

They've just gone through a pledge dip to give them a bit shine, hopefully it'll ease that split appearance.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 12

6 hours ago, ProfSparks said:

DSCF7799.jpg

Some excellent work going on here but I think that you may have misinterpreted the Gannet's wing fold geometry a tad.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

Hi All

On 3/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, Martian Hale said:

Some excellent work going on here but I think that you may have misinterpreted the Gannet's wing fold geometry a tad.

Martian 👽

Hmm, I did wonder what all the fuss was about!

At least if it does all go South in the final reel I can paint it white (it's still a Revell kit)

06716_smw_imperial_shuttle.jpg

Anyhoo, some light sabre fiddling.

The wings are a pretty good fit once about 1mm is taken from the front edge of the underside locating tab

DSCF7807.jpg

DSCF7808.jpg

Also been snuggling the control surfaces into their pockets

DSCF7809.jpg

DSCF7811.jpg

Yes, apparently it does stick out past the wing trailing edge. Had me wondering for a while too.

DSCF7812.jpg

The rudder needed the most work on reshaping the bulb on the lower front, but fits ok now too

DSCF7813.jpg

Actually I'm just putting off starting the paint until I've completed a current experiment.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

Hi All

Eduard masks applied to the fixed clear sections, insides painted roughly with interior NATO Black, should be ok when the top coat is applied.

DSCF7815.jpg

I wanted to clamp it lightly on while drying, but these BERNA clamps do my head in with them spinning around, so it's about time some LEGO made an appearance on this WIP

DSCF7816.jpg

A couple of blobs of CA and

DSCF7817.jpg

The two plates are fixed to one of the jaws leaving the other one to slide and lock as usual

DSCF7818.jpg

Once dry, some PPP to seal the edge while the windscreen sets

DSCF7819.jpg

Getting closer to paint time, putting it off a little longer for further experimentation.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11

just noticed the thread now. I built the Trainer Gannet from Revell into a dark blue COD Gannet. it must be one of the most awful new Revell builds ever, I can't remember how much I sweared during the build. On of the kits which look nice on the first glance, but were terrible to make.

Alex

• Like 2

Hi All

On 3/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, alex said:

just noticed the thread now. I built the Trainer Gannet from Revell into a dark blue COD Gannet. it must be one of the most awful new Revell builds ever, I can't remember how much I sweared during the build. On of the kits which look nice on the first glance, but were terrible to make.

Alex

Hi Alex, yes it's promising more than it's delivering so far, at least the Swear Jar looks like it will be able to fund a decent kit by time it's finished!

On the subject of swearing, I made a couple of dozen of these in varying sizes

DSCF7834.jpg

They are the handles along the starboard side

DSCF7835.jpg

If anyone wants some of the ones I didn't use, you're free to come wrestle them from the carpet monster.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, ProfSparks said:

If anyone wants some of the ones I didn't use, you're free to come wrestle them from the carpet monster.

Carpet Monster? Another swearing adventure - no-no, thanks! 😹 It’s not an easiest task, as we all knew...

Nice progress so far, Steve! 👍

Cheers! 🙃

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Thanks 1

Looking good, although the flaps were always stowed at the end of each flight, it does look good with them deployed. Yes the elevator does protrude past the end of the wing, looks odd but interesting at the same time. Happy to have worked on them for a short time.

Colin

• Like 2

Hi All

A bit more work on the Gannet

DSCF7858.jpg

Yes I know it's a Walrus, I can explain...

I needed to try a paint experiment, as I was still unsure of what I wanted to use, and the only EDSG uppers / Sky undersides in my wardrobe were a Revell MkI and an Airfix MkII Walrus.

I'm going to try Vallejo on the Airfix and Tamiya on the Revell.

Here's the result of the Sky Phase

DSCF7853.jpg

Top is Vallejo Model Air 71.302 Sky Type S mixed about 25% with white, bottom is Tamiya XF-21 Sky mixed again with about 25% white, then thinned with about 50% X-20A thinners.

The Vallejo is a bit on the grey side, but I like the Tamiya, it sprayed better too.

So that's the Sky I'm going to use.

I've some Dark Sea Grey that I'm trying next over a black base to see if it darkens down a bit, but not so Extra Dark that I'd want to add white to, if you see what I mean.

The first image is the Airfix hull that has Dark and Extra Dark, so half of it is black for the Extra Dark and half light grey primer for the basic Dark.

I know it's convoluted, but I'm curious (and New Airbrush Inept).

Anyhoo, back on the main build, careful as you attach the launch sling hooks to the sides as they might fall through the locating slot

DSCF7854.jpg

At least only one did.

Underside closed up

DSCF7855.jpg

All fitting flush without the internals pushing the sides out.

Back soon as I've done the Dark Sea Grey Saga .

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Wow! This looks so much better than my stalled attempt 🤩

I really like what you did with the cockpit detailing, that was superb!

All extra bits of detailing sure brings it to the next level too. Keep it up!

• Thanks 1

Just found this Steve and caught up. 

Great stuff going on - that cockpit looks really good.

Berna clamp problems? I think the jaws might be on the wrong way around… mine have the flat bits on the outside?

Following now :) 

• Thanks 1