The Gannet, the airbrush, the etch and its' folding tool.

Hi All

This was earmarked to be done in the Maritime Patrol and Coastal Command GB, but realistically will outlive it.

I thought it's time I moved on to a more modern kit, so the subject of this session is the regular Revell 1/72 Fairey Gannet AS Mk.1/4

DSCF7419.jpg

Also upgraded will be this!

DSCF7421.jpg

Hopefully it will make throwing the paint around that little bit more refined.

More refinements will be

DSCF7420.jpg

The Airwaves etch says it's for the Revell/Frog Gannet, but turns out to be for the old old (solid cockpit) Frog so I don't know how much of it will be applicable.

I got the Eduard interior PE set to make up the postage on the masks, so that'll be a first time experience.

However, I'm going to begin with this experience, the RB Productions Flip-R10 Folding Tool

DSCF7422.jpg

Parts writhed from the frames and filed smooth

DSCF7423.jpg

Yes the instructions look like they're from the 60s with dot-matrix photos, but onward.

Step 1 fold up the 'ears'

DSCF7424.jpg

Not sitting flat, but that's ok, more later.

Step 2 has you put two of the little round pieces in the ear recesses, and slot in the tabs on part 2

DSCF7425.jpg

However, this proved quite tricky, so I put the two round pieces on part 2

DSCF7426.jpg

And slotted them in

DSCF7427.jpg

Hmm, something not quite right, the ears are bent outwards and the plate is bowed. The instructions aren't much help either

DSCF7431.jpg

I took one off each end and it seated better, nice and flat

DSCF7428.jpg

I put the errant pieces on the outside and added a drop of CA to secure them

All that was left was to slot in piece 3 and Robert's your dads' brother

DSCF7429.jpg

The clips raise the back of the tool so it's level, a nice touch

DSCF7430.jpg

Anyhoo, with the hardest part of the build out of the way, the rest should be a doddle...

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 13

Wow, it looked as though this might be a nice simple build... Well, a mini brake press to fold the PE parts, interesting because, you haven't shown us the kit parts yet. I worked on Gannets on 849 NAS back in 1964/5 so you have me hooked.

Colin

Hi All

20 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow, it looked as though this might be a nice simple build... Well, a mini brake press to fold the PE parts, interesting because, you haven't shown us the kit parts yet. I worked on Gannets on 849 NAS back in 1964/5 so you have me hooked.

Colin

Hi Colin, perhaps you should look away now, the kit parts are on their way...

But first I scanned through the etch diagrams and highlighted the parts that would need adjusting.

DSCF7453.jpg

As it's an interior Zoom set, most of the parts to alter are in the cockpit.

Putting off losing the tiny metal parts for as long as possible, I turned to the Revell build sequence and was soon off to a flying stop.

The roof of the front wheel well (on my thumb) is to be attached to the roof of the bomb bay (the comb thing on the right) but there is no definitive location

DSCF7455.jpg

So I got out the fuselage halves to see if there was anything to help there

DSCF7456.jpg

That's an interesting sprue gate, careful now!

There was a fair amount of flash on some parts

DSCF7457.jpg

And fitting the bomb bay brought up the first of I suspect many fit issues. That's the rear bulkhead and our old friend the Careful Sprue Gate.

DSCF7458.jpg

*sigh*

I was going to leave the bay doors closed, but if it's going to be a chew on to get it all lined up, I might as well split them and have them open.

The nose section fits a little better, but not exactly where I thought

DSCF7459.jpg

The main spar section (of which there are numerous tales of fitting woe) went in no bother once some flash had been moved on

DSCF7460.jpg

DSCF7461.jpg

Thso, initial thoughts are that 90% of the tricky build is sorting internal locations, and once the halves are buttoned up it should be fairly plain sailing (or flying)

With this in mind, I may keep each of the internal sections separate and fit them individually.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 12

This is my kind of build, I'll be watching with interest.

I built this kit a few years back, it was a bit of a challenge, I just couldn't get the fit how I wanted. I got there in the end though. My canopy parts were completely pancaked, they fell victim to Revell's end opening box. To Revell's credit they sent replacements.

• Like 2

It's also an incredible tail sitter. I filled the front of mine with enormous amounts of liquid lead. And it sat on its tail!  I found the same with the Trumpeter AS4 and Sword AEW as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

Thanks DAG058 and 825, I'd read I'd need a small horse in the nose to keep it on its' front leg, and so far the canopies remain unscathed!

As a mater of interest, is RAN XA334 in the walkarounds section prototypical for what I should be aiming for?

If not, are there photos of XA321 on t'interweb?

Cheers

Steve

Hi All

I only ask because, back in The Lab...

I drilled out the control column and had a look at the supplied pedals

DSCF7575.jpg

There's etch for the pedals and the centre wheel, so instead of filing them off I just used a scrap piece

DSCF7576.jpg

First etch, BOOOM!

However, it may have been premature.

I sanded off the cockpit wall detail

DSCF7578.jpg

It wasn't that special, and Revell supplied a duplicate sprue anyway as an apology.

They required fitting and sanding and fitting to get to fit without pinging orf, made tricky by the glued on column and pedal board.

Anyhoo, all fitting so far, even with Eduard telling you to shave off the locating lugs from the bulkheads

DSCF7581.jpg

However, as the rear ones' are locating for the side walls, I may wait and see if I can adjust the etch round them

DSCF7583.jpg

I opened up the holes in part 15

DSCF7587.jpg

And may be tempted to do a touch of wiring on the backs of the IPs

DSCF7589.jpg

Cheers

Steve

• Like 10

Hi All

As some of the rear of the IP will be visible I drilled out and fitted some wire from a phone charger

DSCF7596.jpg

DSCF7597.jpg

While that was setting, I had my first go at bending

DSCF7598.jpg

Success!

The hardest part was finding it again when it pinged out of the Folding Tool.

I ended up not using the clips, just holding the former down with my finger.

The current crop of internals were given a blast of Vallejo Air 71.251 NATO black from my new airbrush

DSCF7599.jpg

I'll have to adjust my technique, as this Infinity is a wholly different beast to the weighty, clunky, seal-free copy I've been using so far.

Those seatbelt strap hangers were almost as small as I could see, and couldn't really feel them, but they're on

DSCF7600.jpg

Continuing with the etch, I put the pieces on the panels

DSCF7601.jpg

And gave the dials a blob of Kristal Klear

DSCF7602.jpg

A quick question for those further along the etch line, how do you blend the edge of the part in with the surface it's mounted on, getting rid of the shiny edge?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 11

Hi All

That's canny stuff!

DSCF7603.jpg

So I started on the side walls

DSCF7604.jpg

And as you can see, the rear bulkhead locating tab fouls the etch.

Eduard would have you file the plastic away, but I thought I'd rather have the locating tab, so cut away the etch instead

DSCF7605.jpg

I doubt anyone will notice once it's all tucked away inside.

The sides completed

DSCF7608.jpg

DSCF7609.jpg

The Eduard colour is decidedly on the blue side of dark grey/black, and the glue backing is awkward to remove from the edges as it all just slides around, but it should all be ok with a thin wash.

Parts washed with the same NATO Black thinned, and ready for assembly.

DSCF7610.jpg

I'll give them another wash with something else once they're all together.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 15

On 24/02/2019 at 14:44, ProfSparks said:

As some of the rear of the IP will be visible I drilled out and fitted some wire from a phone charger

Oh, Steve! And how do you going to charge it now?! 😂

DSCF7598.jpg

Superb!

Continuing with the etch, I put the pieces on the panels

Excellent work with a PE! 👍 I’m not a fan of the pre-painted etch, but looks like you’re get the best from them.

A quick question for those further along the etch line, how do you blend the edge of the part in with the surface it's mounted on, getting rid of the shiny edge?

I think the better way is to match or mix the same color and accurate apply the paint on an edge, then spray (it’s a true purism, sounds strange) it with a semi-gloss clear to imitate the «grain» of the original «print» (not necessary action). I have some (all the) colored PE sets for my Voodoos, so I’ll have to try it someday...

Excellent work, Steve! Looking forward for your next updates.

Cheers! 😎 

Edited by Nikolay Polyakov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good , love that panel wiring .. I knew there was a reason I've kept a stack of PC wiring

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, ProfSparks said:

Folding Tool

Did make me laugh , a folding tool that could use a folding tool to make it and if you do it without a folding tool …. Do you actually need a folding tool ?

Just saying . I looks good though. How much are they ?

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 2

Hi All

23 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Looking good , love that panel wiring .. I knew there was a reason I've kept a stack of PC wiring

Did make me laugh , a folding tool that could use a folding tool to make it and if you do it without a folding tool …. Do you actually need a folding tool ?

Just saying . I looks good though. How much are they ?

Well, I don't know if I'll need it until I need it... It was about £20 years ago, and as I was getting a set of £7 Micro Saw Blades and the postage was about £10, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyhoo, Adventures In Fitting PE Part 1

I got the pedals in (without the aid of The Tool) and gave it a wash with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colour Brown

DSCF7629.jpg

The rest was dry fitted to check the fit

DSCF7630.jpg

DSCF7631.jpg

DSCF7634.jpg

DSCF7632.jpg

As you can see, the edge of the PE stands proud of the cockpit tub, so it's off with it and thin down the walls a touch more

DSCF7637.jpg

Good job it's Self Adhesive and the glue's a bit claggy

Very careful not to wreck the forward section as it fits ok

DSCF7640.jpg

I've touched up the scratches and whatnot, and as they're drying I fitted the forward rear bulkhead as a datum

DSCF7641.jpg

I'll leave that to set too, and go and do something else.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 13

Hi All

After several tries the sidewalls were secured

DSCF7644.jpg

DSCF7645.jpg

They look a bit agricultural out in the open, but are ok when enclosed

DSCF7642.jpg

DSCF7643.jpg

The gaps along the upper edges where they meet the fuselage will squeeze flush with a drop of CA.

I dot the instrument clusters on, and hey-presto a cockpit!

DSCF7647.jpg

DSCF7648.jpg

DSCF7649.jpg

DSCF7650.jpg

It's had a thin wash of Tamiya Panel Accent Colour Brown to tie it all together

DSCF7651.jpg

DSCF7652.jpg

And should be acceptable once the canopy and centre section covers go on

DSCF7653.jpg

Back to the rear soon.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 21

Hi All

And so to the single seat cockpit

DSCF7654.jpg

Guess what I'm going to have to do here?

Yup, file the kit part right back so the etch sits flush

DSCF7655.jpg

Even filed right down, the kit part is still proud of the sill

What it needs to be is thus

DSCF7656.jpg

So basically the top section of the kit side wall needs to come off

DSCF7658.jpg

With the etch perched over it

DSCF7657.jpg

The kit sides were glued to the floor, and when set, the etch was placed on and a drop of CA seeped under it

DSCF7660.jpg

Fits nice and snug now, they'll nip up once the halves are joined

DSCF7661.jpg

I got the upper panels on after checking they fitted

DSCF7665.jpg

DSCF7666.jpg

You'll not see much of them anyway.

You know when you take something apart and put it back together again there's sometimes a little part left over?

DSCF7662.jpg

I found a place for it, and gave the whole assembly a quick wash with the usual

DSCF7663.jpg

DSCF7664.jpg

I've since removed the cotton bud hairs and general detritus.

That's about it as far as the internals go, I'll have to load the nose with some home made scones and close it up next.

I'm probably going to leave the portholes and fill them with Kristal Klear later, and now I'm tempted to open up the bomb bay doors and nose gear and wing flaps too, depending on how the next etch episode goes.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 13

Hi All

A slightly truncated Lab Session today, on account of the Airbrush content of this WIP.

I sprayed the interior with Vallejo Model Air 71.251 NATO Black as the rest of the cockpit, and found it difficult to control as before.

DSCF7675.jpg

It's not come out too bad, 15psi with the 0.2 setup in my newly acquired 2-in-1

DSCF7676.jpg

There's more to it, I've just taken it apart to see why it wasn't behaving as the online video would suggest.

I found this is why

DSCF7677.jpg

There seems to be no lower half on the needle actuator on the trigger assembly, so it was wobbling around in the body and not doing what it should.

New trigger ordered, should be here in a couple of days, but until then it's removing and cleaning up parts for me.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

56 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

That's odd, you'd expect that to be picked up before it left the factory.

Well, it's not exactly factory fresh, came as part of an online auction win that included many 1/72 heavy bombers, 1/32 and 1/24 Spitfires, Mustangs, Mosquitos, a compressor, tools, and enough Tamiya paints to make Josephs' tailor pause and re consider.

Don't know whether to WIP them eBay them, or keep them as a retirement fund :huh:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3