PE for Aoshima 1/700 HMS Illustrious

Exkiwiforces

I’ve managed to get hold of a bundle of 1/700 models on EBay for $35 Aus

x1 HMS Illustrious by Aoshima

x1 E Class Destroyer by Tamiya 

x2 O Class Destroyers by Tamiya and 

x1JapaneseDestroyer which I’ll flog off to some

As the heading says, I’m a PE set for my HMS Illustrious. So is there a PE set out there in our dark art of Ship Modeling World?

P.S The other ships that I’m building are on hold as the Northern Australia wet season Monsoon rains have disappeared, so I’m outside a lot more working or down at my bush estate getting ready for this years fire season during our Northern Dry Season.

How about:

Toms Modelworks #793 Illustrious Class Carriers

For the new Aoshima HMS Illustrious and HMS Victorious kits but will work perfectly well on the HP resin kits or the old Aoshima kits. Contains parts to detail the kits as built and also as fitted for service with the British Eastern and Pacific Fleets in 1944 and 1945.

Illustrious_PE_1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1525955

If Exkiwiforces has the old-tool Illustrious I'd agree but if it's the new one it should be worth the effort to upgrade. It's a better starting point anyway whilst we're still waiting for Flyhawk to release the one they announced a few years back.

Mike.

21 hours ago, MikeR said:

If Exkiwiforces has the old-tool Illustrious I'd agree but if it's the new one it should be worth the effort to upgrade. It's a better starting point anyway whilst we're still waiting for Flyhawk to release the one they announced a few years back.

Mike.

Cheers for the feedback,

I’m going for Toms Modelworks PE and a new weapons fit out from 3D Model Parts at this stage. I’m not sure about the Aircarft atm or who does good quality aftermarket models and can anyone point me in the right direction? 

As for the Kit it self, I really haven’t got a clue if’s the old tool or the new tool? But since I got it almost at Mates rates, it could very well the old tool one?  Either way with a bit of PE, a new weapons fit out and some good quality aftermarket aircraft should make it good a lot better than coming straight out of the box.

My reference books are going to be from David Hobbs, Neil McCart and Alan Raven

Best thing to do is check the box art, if you have it, or the picture on the instructions. If it matches the pic in my first link, it's the old one, but if it matches that in the second, it's the new one. As an extra here are the box arts for the OLD and NEW versions of the Victorious model, just in case it's that one and not the Illustrious.

Mike.

• 1 month later...
On 20/02/2019 at 23:35, MikeR said:

Best thing to do is check the box art, if you have it, or the picture on the instructions. If it matches the pic in my first link, it's the old one, but if it matches that in the second, it's the new one. As an extra here are the box arts for the OLD and NEW versions of the Victorious model, just in case it's that one and not the Illustrious.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

According to Scalemates a late 90’s box Art? Got a heap of reference books and camouflage plans, but I could do the full Monty and do a HMS Formidable or a HMS Indomitable instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/03/2019 at 04:15, MikeR said:

This one?

323893-12155-15-pristine.jpg

Definitely the old tool - be prepared to expend a lot of elbow grease! Crude just about covers it.

Mike.

Mike,

Cheers for the advice and I might put it last in the stash then for a wet season build???

11 hours ago, gamevender said:

Here's that same "pig" with Toms PE lipstick and some Shapeways Carley floats on it. 

DSCN4975

DSCN4980

DSCN4976

DSCN4981

DSCN4970

Looks a beauty there mate, I’ve ordered a weapons kit from 3D models, sometime this I’ll order the PE set from my supplier from Melbourne and I’m still deciding on what Air Wing I’ll have atm. Paints will be Sovereign Colourcoats as a, they can handle the extreme conditions up here in the Darwin unlike Tamiya paints (Humbrol do alright up here) and b, I don’t have to mix paints which I hate doing.