Rifle Brigade Officer Crimean War 1854 120mm

I've just finished this model that I found at the Poole Vikings model show in Spring 2018.  I've found out that the sculptor was Maurice Corry in 120mm.  A Rifle Brigade officer from the Crimean War of 1854.  I must admit, I'm quite happy with this one.  This is the first figure model I've completed for a number of years - well, 35 years to be exact.  I used to spend all my schoolboy pocket money on Historex 54mm models in the mid-1980s and now, as my teenage son has got into Airfix, I've found the bug again and really enjoying it.  I used Windsor and Newton acrylics for the colours and the Vallejo Model Colour face painting set.  I now have a growing set of Vallejo Model Colours as I think they are great acrylics for brush work.  I have invested in a good set of sable brushes, but the best investment has been the head-mounted LED magnifying glasses - eyesight not what it was when I was 16 years old!  I struggled with the eyes for a while and will try and work on not having such a startled look.  Only practice will help here, I think!  Have a look at Dan Capuano's site for an amazing example that I used for reference and inspiration!  http://dancapuanofineminiatures.blogspot.com

fullsizeoutput_143f

fullsizeoutput_1445

fullsizeoutput_1449fullsizeoutput_144c

fullsizeoutput_144f

fullsizeoutput_1450

fullsizeoutput_1452

fullsizeoutput_145e

fullsizeoutput_1463

I also saw this photo from the Royal Collections Trust of a Major Woodford in the Crimean War.  His pose and uniform look a great reference for the sculptor.

MajorWoodford-RifleBrigade

• Like 7

Well done, I think it is really good.  

I struggle with eyes too there is a quick tutorial from @Roger Newsome which I intend to use next time I venture into figures.  It might help the eyes technique - otherwise I think it is just practice...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045732-painting-a-54mm-face-with-acrylics/&tab=comments#comment-3177845