This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

RidgeRunner

U.S. AIR FORCE and USAF decals 1/72

Martin,

The Ink Freeze looks a lot like baking soda.  Not being a chemist, I can;t say for certain.  You might try a small non-critical trial run...

Ed

Sorry, Martin- just got back in town. I can't help you with the images you need, but if you tell me what decals you need for the project you're working on, send me a pm- I'm pretty sure I have enough spares that I can send you some. Just give me the titles/colors/sizes you are needing, and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to have to learn how to make decals, especially lettering, at some point, as I have a few Korean War aircraft I'd love to do, but there are no decals/lettering for. Ain't that the way it always goes?

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Sorry, Martin- just got back in town. I can't help you with the images you need, but if you tell me what decals you need for the project you're working on, send me a pm- I'm pretty sure I have enough spares that I can send you some. Just give me the titles/colors/sizes you are needing, and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to have to learn how to make decals, especially lettering, at some point, as I have a few Korean War aircraft I'd love to do, but here are no decals/lettering for. Ain't that the way it always goes?

Mike

That's a kind offer, Mike. Thanks a lot. Let me get the current ones done and I will get back to you.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

13 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I'm going to have to learn how to make decals, especially lettering, at some point, as I have a few Korean War aircraft I'd love to do, but here are no decals/lettering for. Ain't that the way it always goes?

I suggest you start learning decal design today 🙂 Vector graphics are not too difficult to learn, and once you master the basicss, it is a blast to do.

Rob

On 2/20/2019 at 3:22 AM, TheRealMrEd said:

Martin,

Do a search for this product : Papilio Ink Freeze Pigment Drying Agent     It is a fine powder than you sprinkle atop the just-printed ink jet decal, and let set for about 15 seconds, then wipe off with a artist's foam pad.  You can then spray a fixative over the top. I use the Papilio fixative as it is flexible and clear and goes on with a very fine mist.  Their own website is not fun to navigate, but there is a lot of detailed info on printing decals there.

A couple of years back, Papilio offered a trial kit which had paper and everything you needed to do the job.  I have used their products with other manufacturer's decal paper with good results.  While not perfect, it does a good job of keeping the ink from smearing or running. That being said, I often print four or 5 of each figure, as some will inevitably be better than others. I used this stuff for the special decals on my Laven F-84B and the YA-7F models earlier.

Ed

Hi Ed! @TheRealMrEd

Thank you! I got hold of some Papilio fixative and bingo, it worked a treat!

40107 decalling

An additional thanks to Rob de Bie @Rob de Bie for help with the USAF decals, including the colour. I'll be honest that these are printed using Photoshop but they are great. I simply used the same images that I used for my previous build (58-1155) and modified the colour a little. Today, as you can see, I got the various blue letterig and numbers, the star-and -bar (red stripes to do), the break point red stripe and the badges. I have noticed that when I took the image I had moved the ARDC badge under the port wing - rectified now ;)

Martin