28mm British Union Brigade

These 28mm plastic figures are WarLord,they Represent the British Union Brigade Scots Greys.after taking the pics I found a pic of the Greys and I noticed 2 of them I have painted their helmet shades gold and that should be black,and the shoulder pad should have a touch of blue with gold edge,I will fix these,but if you see any other errors please feel free to tell me,Other than that I hope you enjoy.Cheers.

tn_b372c78e-b3a5-481a-b4f1-00e6c97162f9.tn_e73856c8-0bf0-48e4-9dc6-806ec1d522a8.tn_39471c7d-9be1-4143-989b-bccb17dd5278.tn_9dd32d4f-7d8e-4bad-819d-fc45d74f9688.tn_a8b199ce-af86-433d-a741-3272067d6fb0.

• Like 10

Those figures look really nice, You are really consistent with your great finishing.  

I think the majority of your North British Dragoons have oilskin covers over there bearskins whereas the other two have not hence the brass badge plate and the plumes are visible.  Being a Royal Regiment the RNBD (Scots Greys) should have Dark Blue facings.  Can you get some Enniskillen Dragoons to make up the rest of the Brigade?

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Thanks 1

Up to your high standards as always Jim.

For the Waterloo period of the Napoleonic Wars there is a concise book called Uniforms of Waterloo by Philip Haythornthwaite. It was published in the 1970's but it has yet to be surpassed as a primer on the subject in IMHO. I have bought loads of books on the period since and yet it is still the first one I turn to. It is usually available cheaply on ABE or Amazon.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Can you get some Enniskillen Dragoons to make up the rest of the Brigade?

And what about the 1st Royals? :hobbyhorse:

You could try some mottling on the greys by spotting with nuln oil Jim. I've tried it on some 1.72 amd it looks ok. You'd just have to practice a bit.

I'm planning to revamp and expand on my Greys this year so only a hundred or so horses to play with 🤔

Oh there will be a few 1st and 6th there too :hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse:

Edited by FredG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FredG said:

And what about the 1st Royals? :hobbyhorse:

You could try some mottling on the greys by spotting with nuln oil Jim. I've tried it on some 1.72 amd it looks ok. You'd just have to practice a bit.

I'm planning to revamp and expand on my Greys this year so only a hundred or so horses to play with 🤔

Oh there will be a few 1st and 6th there too :hobbyhorse::hobbyhorse:

Thanks Fred,my greys are a spent force,only a few survivors after the charge,BUT I do have some reserves in the way of another box of Brithish Household Brigade(The Blues),with black horses,and my grey spotting just did not show up well on the pics,I lose a lot of detail when I put my pics up,but I did over expose one shot still not true to its original,I even have some pink on the noses of my horses and that is not very visible,but thanks for the clues on the oils.Cheers.P.S thanks for more info that came.

tn_c98b3fc3-7aba-4cfe-9c87-04226c86ae31.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Those figures look really nice, You are really consistent with your great finishing.  

I think the majority of your North British Dragoons have oilskin covers over there bearskins whereas the other two have not hence the brass badge plate and the plumes are visible.  Being a Royal Regiment the RNBD (Scots Greys) should have Dark Blue facings.  Can you get some Enniskillen Dragoons to make up the rest of the Brigade?

Thanks for all that info.Cheers.

18 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Up to your high standards as always Jim.

For the Waterloo period of the Napoleonic Wars there is a concise book called Uniforms of Waterloo by Philip Haythornthwaite. It was published in the 1970's but it has yet to be surpassed as a primer on the subject in IMHO. I have bought loads of books on the period since and yet it is still the first one I turn to. It is usually available cheaply on ABE or Amazon.

Cheers thanks mate.Will look into that book,Fred was good enough to send me some great info on all things Napoleonic.

14 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Fantastic job as always Jim....

Thanks Francis.Cheers.

18 hours ago, andmarsh said:

They look really good 👍

I might buy these myself,   yet to try painting horse's... Can I ask how you do your basing? 

Thanks,Everything I do is very simple I try to source what I can locally(no model shops or art shops in my area)I first spray grey primer from a rattle can,then spray a light coat of flat white also from a rattle can,just enough as to show some of the grey through,then I start to add my grey acrylic washes building up as I go,adding a drop or 2 of black to give a tonal value until I'm pleased with the results,I keep everything wet so I can wash more or less,let this dry then come back and pick out spots I think may need more,Now some may read this and say there are other ways and I am sure there are many,There are some very talented guys out there, but this works for me,I have been spraying and painting for more than 55 years,I'm not trying to paint master pieces just something I'm happy with,So just try everything and find what works for you,at the end of the day as long as you have enjoyed and had fun at what you do.Sorry for prattling on having a seniors moment.Cheers.

• Like 1

Well said Jim. Paint for yourself, you're the one that looks at the figures most. If others like your efforts it's a bonus.

As for painting horses, I just go with what I feel like doing at the time. I have no fixed sequence.

• Like 1

Just now, FredG said:

Well said Jim. Paint for yourself, you're the one that looks at the figures most. If others like your efforts it's a bonus.

As for painting horses, I just go with what I feel like doing at the time. I have no fixed sequence.

DITTO...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just added some black horses to my greys,from the same WarLord kits,really the same horses just soldiers with different heads,I painted these up as the House Guard Blues,I based the horses with a flat black and then gave them to coats of different blues,a flat varnish,then I also went over them with some black pastels to tone down the colour,they still look like some have a shine but this is just the lighting.Cheers

tn_4c1ec6ca-1975-4701-ab58-5ba144d99e89.tn_c94f9d06-9a93-485d-b3b3-21c3e910b7e8.tn_d5e61bd0-bf17-4031-934f-e550c8e4ee78.tn_04c6fc66-bcfe-497e-a00b-fe336447f74d.

• Like 2

Hi Jim,

beautiful figures -  I like the figures on the black horses as it gives a good contrast to the uniforms. I love the picture of them charging over the bridge,

Cheers,

Andrew

• Thanks 1

You're piling on the need to paint list Jim

You already had the 2nd Brigade (Union Bigade) to finish 1st , 2nd and 6th Dragoons, now you've added the 1st Brigade (Household Brigade) of 1st and 2nd Life Guards, the Royal Horse Guards (the Blues), and the 1st (King's) Dragoon Guards. 😃

Good luck 👍

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sancho Panzer said:

Hi Jim,

beautiful figures -  I like the figures on the black horses as it gives a good contrast to the uniforms. I love the picture of them charging over the bridge,

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,yes these are nice figures,I do have to base them yet,and the bridge was just for pic display,but one could imagine them thundering at full charge.Cheers.