1/48 Hobby Boss Me 262A-1 (In Flight Build)

Hello folks!

I've gone ahead and bumped this post with new photos showing the display stand which I just finished. I also deleted some of my self-criticism... It's not a perfect build and that's that!

A Messerschmitt Me 262 is not a usual subject for me, as I generally prefer prewar or early war aircraft. However, two of my uncles are aircraft enthusiasts and build and fly large RC reproductions of WWII planes, and the older brother turned 70 recently. I decided to build him a kit of one of his favorite aircraft, which, after asking my other uncle for advice, turned out to be the 262. I regularly do 1/72 scale but I wanted to put a bit more effort into this present, and ended up settling on the Hobby Boss 1/48 Me 262 A-1a. The kit includes a wonderful set of accessories to display inside the fuselage, as well as rockets and racks, etc. I kept things to a minimum with the in-flight display and did not build many of these options.

The kit is beautiful, and goes together virtually without complaint - only a tiny bit of filler was used. Building it in flight was rather challenging, and having the landing gear down would be ideal for fitting. I enjoyed detailing the cockpit, which was a treat since I'm used to sparse 1/72 kits. I used a marvelous resin BF-109 pilot kit from Aires (highly recommended) and cut him out of the seat, placing him inside the kit's seat with super glue. I used acrylics and brush painted the model, as usual... The scheme was borrowed from a surviving aircraft (or reproduction?) in a museum, so I did not use the squadron decal provided and put the "5" markings back by the Balkenkreuzes for a typical theme.

The display stand is a wooden round from the local hobby shop, with some uprights cut from a dowel and a bit of scrap shaped into the placard. It's stained with dark brown leather dye and finished with a matte clear coat and red craft felt.

Cheers!

-Gregory

IMG_9017

IMG_9018

IMG_9019

IMG_9021

IMG_9029

IMG_9023

IMG_9027

IMG_9030

IMG_9032

IMG_9034

IMG_9036

IMG_9038

Edited by Kilroy1988
  • Like 6

I'm sure your friend will be happy with that. Good to read it was an easy build.   

Just a tip for to help. You need to spend a bit more sanding time on your fuselage joints. The lower ones look a bit untidy. I have a good modelling friend that is an expert at getting clean joints. I have learnt from him the almost right is not good enough. Go back and keep going back until it is clean. I have done this on my latest build. I almost let a small depression go, but thought of my friends work and went back and sanded and filled it again. Now it is perfect. The extra time is worth it in the end.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Just a tip for to help. You need to spend a bit more sanding time on your fuselage joints. The lower ones look a bit untidy.

Hello Greg! Yes, I'm still not quite patient enough to sit and get things just right... I notice many of the issues, but honestly feel that between my lack of experience and the fact that I still use rather thick paint and brushes, I can just ignore the inconsistencies for now. It doesn't seem possible to get "great" results with my current methods, so I just try to build and have fun.

Maybe I'll get there someday! Cheers! :)

-Gregory

• 3 years later...