Das Werk Faun L900 tank transporter question

Diesel Gypsy

Hi folks it's been a while.

My lovely wife has given me a fantastic get well present, the Das Werk Faun L900 tank transporter. 

I have a very keen interest in the WWII North african theater of operations and after much searching found out that this vehicle served with the DAK.

As something a little different is my intention to build the Faun carrying Italian light tanks and armoured cars.

My question is this; 

I understand that early in the DAK's deployment armour and softskins were delivered to the desert painted in the standard German gray and then overpainted in desert yellow in the field.

Would this have been the same for "rear echelon" (for the want of a better phrase) vehicles like the Faun tank transporter or would they remain in their original German gray?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

hello Dave, I have also got the Das Werk kit and whilst it is a very impressive package, the kit has some issues that have been well documented over on Missing lynx by the experten rivet counters. 

I have been scouring the net for photos of the L900 and Sd.ah 115 mainly for load combinations and I have yet to see this rig in North Africa. Whilst there is the possibility of some going to NA, I have yet to see any photos. Trailer yes, Faun no. 

I would say that eventually the Faun, if they had been deployed to Africa, would have eventually received a DAK colour scheme of gelb of some description. If you have found a photo of a Faun L900 in Afrika, I would love to see it. 

Regards 

Grahame 

The initial forces sent to NA did include two workshop companies, Kraftwagenwerkstatt-Kompanie 122 and 129.  I can't find anything about actual specific equipment located in Africa.  The Kstn flle for this type of unit in 1941 does show the trailer but not the Faun truck:

http://www.wwiidaybyday.com/kstn/kstn11851jun42.htm

The L900 transporter does seem to be associated with light panzer units, of which 5. Leichte Div. could qualify as almost half the afv's were the Pz.I and II.   It could be argued either way, since we don't have photos or document proof.

As far as paint goes, most definitely the standard grey finish upon arrival at Tripoli.  Tropical colours were finally decided upon March 17th 1941, a week before Rommel's offensive began.   It's unclear if these paints were available  for this event.   Sirte, which was their 'jump off' point did have an airfield, so it's possible paint supplies were flown in?  Even so,  combat vehicles would of had priority.

regards,

Jack

• Diesel Gypsy changed the title to Das Werk Faun L900 tank transporter question
  • 1 year later...

Well,

II am doing right now the Sd.Anh.115

The instruction is full of missleading numbers.

It seems now, hard to locate this parts now.

Can anybody help?

Happy modelling