Airfix F14 Tomcat 1/72

First completion of 2019, an old Airfix 1/72nd F14A Tomcat.  I chose the 'Top Hatters' decals from the newer Airfix kit as the original decals were far too yellowed.  I found this kit in a freezer bag, under a club table at the last South West Model Show that was held in the Fleet Air Arm Museum a few years ago, only a few pounds.   

fullsizeoutput_1420

fullsizeoutput_1421

fullsizeoutput_1472

fullsizeoutput_1461fullsizeoutput_142b

Edited by Geoff Mapes
add more photos
  • Like 36

I like your Tomcat very much! Looks just right!

Only small thing: the limit between grey and white should not be that straight. Or am I wrong with that particular airframe?

I did this Tomcat when it came out in 19.... (already?), but I stupidly decided not to do the VF-1 scheme, which I have regretted ever since! How to ruin your life! I chose instead VF-84 and I still love it. Very dusty at present, but still in my cabinet!!!

So VF-1 to come, irrespective of the F-14 kit?

Well done!

JR

On 18/02/2019 at 19:19, jean said:

I like your Tomcat very much! Looks just right!

Only small thing: the limit between grey and white should not be that straight. Or am I wrong with that particular airframe?

I did this Tomcat when it came out in 19.... (already?), but I stupidly decided not to do the VF-1 scheme, which I have regretted ever since! How to ruin your life! I chose instead VF-84 and I still love it. Very dusty at present, but still in my cabinet!!!

So VF-1 to come, irrespective of the F-14 kit?

Well done!

JR

Hi Jean,  yes I have been 'creative' with the grey and white limits.  I just couldn't get another boundary to look right.  There were so many different paint schemes that I bet there was a straight line somewhere and thought I'd get away with it!  Ha!  It looked such a good kit in the bag that I couldn't let it pass.  I've not done US jets before, but at the Bovington model show last weekend I found a Dragonfly, Voodoo and a Phantom!  Not that I need anymore kits in my collection.  Thanks. 

Geoff

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...