My First Card Model - A 1/78 scale Macchi M.5

Howdy folks!

I don't often see card models posted here, and hope that this is alright to share... I just joined a community dedicated to paper modeling but I really like being here on Britmodeller best!

I remember attempting some card models as a kid when I was enthusiastic about WWII aircraft, and never coming up with much in terms of a decent build. A few months ago I got back into making plastic models, and after watching several of Frankie Day's Youtube videos describing how much he enjoys card modelling, I decided to look into it again.

The first model I began assembling was this Macchi M.5 with plans by Der Kampfflieger, purchased and downloaded from Wargame Vault. Not knowing the appropriate procedure I printed it to fit on 8.5x11" paper, using a cut down sheet of sketch pad paper that is approximately 130 grams. This meant that the scale is almost exactly 1/78 rather than 1/72, with a 6" wingspan to represent the 39' span in reality. There's no painting necessary, as the plans came with two liveries to choose from! I used the captured Austro-Hungarian example to start with as practice, and will re-print it at the appropriate scale and on 180g card stock for the Italian version sometime down the road...

I cut all of the parts out with some razor-sharp scissors I use for my leather work, and assembled it mostly with Elmer's craft glue, but at the end I used some Aleene's rapid dry adhesive for the strut work. I added about 20 pieces to reinforce the wings, fuselage, and double up all of the wing struts. So ~80 pieces in total. I won't bother bracing this one and will wait for the (hopefully better built) 1/72 scale example to do that.

Hope you like it. Cheers!

-Gregory

WP_20190217_13_26_23_Pro

WP_20190217_13_26_32_Pro

WP_20190217_13_26_47_Pro

WP_20190217_13_27_03_Pro

WP_20190217_13_28_10_Pro

WP_20190217_13_28_22_Pro

WP_20190217_13_29_02_Pro

WP_20190217_13_29_38_Pro

• Like 25

Very good. I've made a few over the years. If anything they're more difficult than plastic kits.

I do like the idea that you don't have to paint it but the construction is the thing. 

I failed quite badly on that score.

Edited by noelh
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tunguska said:

Top result!

How sturdy is it? I've often considered using card models for background terrain on the wargaming board, as well as aircraft, but they need to be somewhat durable...

Hi Tunguska,

Thanks! It's fairly sturdy. With the reinforcements throughout (the top wing comes to five layers of 130g paper in the middle), it has some heft to it. It will survive being tossed about and dusted off for years, I imagine, but I wouldn't stack anything on top or around it, nor apply much pressure with the ol' fingers - and of course never get it wet!

Otherwise, most things that would destroy it would also be the end to any comparably sized resin, plastic, or wooden model.

Thanks to everyone else for the comments. Much appreciated!

-Gregory

Edited by Kilroy1988

That is certainly a great effort as your first back in the card-modelling hobby. I've always been scared off these models as I am frightened of trying double curvature but you seem to have got that well-handled. Terrific wee Macchi.

• Thanks 1