Another Tornado, different markings. ///Finished\\\

I thought I would be the only one building a Tornado for this GB, as it's a bit of an obscure subject, but I see someone else is doing one as well. Cool!

I'm using the Valom kit as well, but mine will be one from the 86th Bombardment Squadron which recieved hand-me-downs from the 19th TRS when they started flying the RB-66. I'm going to use the Caracal decals for it, and it should look this when it's done: https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1576281

Unsurprisingly, I'm pretty much following the same steps as @IanHx, so my cockpit is also green with a white dome in the nose, which will be hidden anyway. Detail is pretty decent, fit is so-so. Those PE throttle levers should be fun indeed.

Ltskt8M.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 5

I'm delighted to see you adding another RB-45 to this GB Pete :D Certainly a type that doesn't seem to get much attention and you're off to a great start with this one.

Well, that was.... fun. :o

Took some good effort and tactical clamping here and there, but the fuselage has been closed. Only one seat, two instrument panels and a thingie in the nose were "harmed" during the process. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed.

The fit was especially difficult around the cockpit. I added the window above the navigator after closing the fuselage. It's a bit flatter than area around it, so that should be fun to smooth out.

LZHmTKV.jpg

Dryfitting the nose cover shows some more fun ahead.

GrWbmah.jpg

But overall it's not bad:

V6POSgb.jpg

I also started masking the canopy. which I usually find one of the more fun parts of modeling. (I really do)

rYDjTvJ.jpg

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Creepy Pete said:

I also started masking the canopy. which I usually find one of the more fun parts of modeling

What a strange man 😂😂

That's the part I always dread, as any mistake there sticks out like a sore thumb........or gluey thumb print

Each to their own I suppose, ;)

Looks like you've got the fuselage fit tamed though, good job :)

Ian

On 3/11/2019 at 9:53 PM, Creepy Pete said:

Well, that was.... fun. :o

Took some good effort and tactical clamping here and there, but the fuselage has been closed. Only one seat, two instrument panels and a thingie in the nose were "harmed" during the process. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed.

Sounds like you had a similar amount of fun on yours as I did on mine - after just about everything fell off at least once, resorted to using CA glue on everything....

I started working on the wings and engines. The engine bits are made of resin and have some nice detail. The fit of the resin bits to the plastic is decent, but the plastic bits don't fit too well. Oh well, some styrene strip and putty will fix that, me thinks.

dmgQ6EH.jpg

MiVvIZI.jpg

qBlD8fh.jpg

M60nEpN.jpg

an7Sz3M.jpg

Edited by Creepy Pete
invisible pancakes
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to blend in the engine front and rear ends nicely with some styrene strip and putty, and now I have glued the wings on. One was much easier than the other, no idea why. Next up will be the nose cover, the canopy, the wingtip tanks and the tail pieces. After that it should be pretty much ready for paint.

9kCvtC9.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

And here we are, just about ready for paint. The instructions call for some PE pieces that go between the flaps and the engine nacelles on top of the wings. I looked at some photos of the real thing, and it seems that the flaps actually sit a bit higher when the plane is parked than on the model. Not sure what to think of this.

Edit: You can see them here, right between the flaps and the nacelles. Clicketyclick But here the flaps are also dropped a bit because of the low speed needed for refueling. And the PE bits look much too large. Maybe you need to cut between the flap and nacelle and glue the PE bits in between. I'll think about it for a bit, but I might just leave them off.

One more thing I have to fix, is the rear of the canopy, it doesn't quite fit, so some putty is required there.

dhqKID2.jpg

lF260nb.jpg

The wingtip tanks will be done separately, to avoid knocking off the PE fins all the time.

Edited by Creepy Pete
  • Like 4