Colour film of Fortress Mk.I

Graham Boak

Last night on BBC2, a programme about Frank Williams, of the racing team.  His father served in Bomber Command, so as stock film to pad out the talking heads the producer included colour film of the crew boarding a Fortress Mk.I, which then took off.  I don't think this was anything other than pure chance, any bomber would have done.

I recall an old VHS account of the Bf109, which to illustrate the inferiority of French and Italian aircraft showed Swiss D3801s and Reggianne 2005s!  There must be lots of other similar gems around.

• Like 2

I was certainly footage I hadn't seen before. 

I really enjoyed the programme as far as it went (aside from the footage of poor Bandini), but for such a long documentary, clearly made a few years ago now, it all ended rather abruptly with the racing story effectively ending in 1992 apart from the odd snippet of footage and a fleeting appearance by Jacques Villeneuve.  Not sure that they quite told the whole story about the Williams/Wolf 'partnership then divorce' either. 

On 2/19/2019 at 5:28 PM, tonyot said:

Great footage,...thanks for the heads up Graham.

Was it EDSG/DSG with PRU(Cosmic) Blue undersides?

I put a screen capture into photoshop to remove the colour cast and I think it's Dark Green / Dark Earth and PRU Blue. This laptop screen isn't the greatest but I'm 99% sure about the Dark Earth.

Capture.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

90 Sq's WP-D was either AN523 (arrived on the squadron on 25/5/41, crashed at Roborough after damage inflicted during raid on Brest 16/8/41) or AN525 (arrived 21/8/41, shot down by Bf 109s 60 m N of Kristiansand 8/9/41).  Sources: Listeman Allied Wings No 7: Boeing Fortress Mk.I and A-B serial registers.  I suspect it's AN523.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, WhitleyZ6743 said:

Looks like we have AN525:

GMG3s1T.png

Nice one!  Ah, well, it was a 50:50 call: don't bother following my lottery number selections.  Can never remember my BBC password so haven't actually seen the film.

Edited by Seahawk

On 2/21/2019 at 8:26 AM, rossm said:

I put a screen capture into photoshop to remove the colour cast and I think it's Dark Green / Dark Earth and PRU Blue. This laptop screen isn't the greatest but I'm 99% sure about the Dark Earth.

Capture.jpg

Thanks mate,....... you are of course right,........ thanks for screen grabbing it.

Cheers

Tony.