This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi chaps. 

I've recently decided I would like to start collecting vinyl LP's again. I dug out my old USB turntable I've had for quite a few years, as my family got me a couple of LP's for Christmas. 

I have connected it to my hifi, and fired it up. All seemed great, at first, but it didn't last long. The turntable only plays the first track, or two, then automatically turns itself off, like it's reached the end of the album. Has anyone got any ideas why this might be? 

Thank you for looking in. 

Matt

I have a Sharp system which plays both sides via having the record sitting vertical so the 2 stylus's can move either side. I've had similar problems and it was a sensor getting confused with where the stylus was, it's operated by cable and the trigger for the sensor was in the wrong place plus the trigger which is just a simple micro switch was broken... whether yours has a sensor for this or not is the next question but maybe check out the arm as of course it's signal to return to rest is triggered when it gets to the centre of the record...

Also check with another record, I bought OMD's latest vinyl and even though it was supposed to be a heavyweight vinyl it wasn't very level and the stylus would bobble around like crazy and half way through side B it'd cut out and the stylus would return to it's resting position, tried one of my older records and it played it fine, no idea why it does it at this point..... but I'm not impressed with todays pressings of records.

Edited by Toe

Thanks for the advice, looks like I might have to take a crash course in turntable repair. On the upside, at least I won't have lost a lot if it doesn't work, as it is nearly 15 years old. 

I know what you mean about the quality of modern vinyl, it's nowt like it used to be, or as I remember it. I only have two albums at the moment, but hope to get more, it al hinged on the turntable working. Even in the two titles I have you can feel a difference, one disc is considerably heavier than the other. Perhaps it's better to invest in old pressings. 

Matt

Just for clarification this is the device in question.... 

DSC_0388

I'd be interested if these new LPs are mastered from CD some other digital witchery instead of the original vinyl masters . Can be a bit cropped on the high end of the Eq.

There are plenty of really good Decks from the 70s and 80s going on the usual places . High end Direct Drive Sony, Pioneer, Phillips etc. Yeah, even Phillips !

Still got my 1970s Sony direct drive deck ,hasn't missed a beat …. Sorry about the pun ! I picked up some good separates from a British Heart Foundation shop a few years ago that had a top end  Hi Fi shop next door and they donated a stack of Amps ,Tuners ,CD  ,Reverbs etc. to the charity shop . Brand new in original taped unopened box , £20 each ! Like that it in a bag sir ?

Some nice bargains you found there. All the charity shops seem to sell round here (sheffield) is old clothes. Never seen anything worthwhile in one. 

I've got my eye on a nice looking unit at richer sounds, but need to save some pennies for it.... 

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/turntables/project-elemental-red.html

Can't remember where I read/see/heard it but all the pre cd recordings where of course recorded and produced with records in mind, now, when records went out and cd's and now music files came in they were produced and recorded with these mediums in mind so they won't sound the same on a record as if they were recorded say, 30 years ago.

I have a all singing and dancing monster Sony system from the 90's but looks horrific with weird lights plastered all over it which I got new but is a bit bulky but all the others which are Sharp systems were either car boot or more recently Fleabay, if you're prepared to travel or wait for one to come up then a really good quality record deck can be had for a fairly modest price, I've seen Optica (AKA Sharp) decks going for £50 and these were the LINEAR tone arm, or in everyone else's language the arm goes across the record on a track and not on an arm which is supposed to be better, no idea if it is or just a gimmick to be honest

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:33 AM, Toe said:

..... but I'm not impressed with todays pressings of records.

Or the price of new records nowadays. Anywhere between $30 to $75.00 for them. Brian Eno's latest work Music for Installations on LP was a whopping $330.

One of the two lp's I have is chas n Dave's gold hits. The missus said it was "only", £18! The other is a double album, memoires of a mad man by ozzy osbourne, and I dread the think how much that cost. 

My daughter was on about buying a vinyl copy of NIN’s “Pretty Hate Machine” in HMV recently for about 50 quid. I just laughed at her as I’ve got an original pressing in the collection that she can have and I’m pretty sure I payed about a fiver for it when it came out. Given how rubbish quality modern CDs are compared to the original iterations I bet original vinyl plays better as well.

To be honest the only new vinyl I'd buy is obviously the stuff that is newly recorded and any other is through 2nd hand record shops or online, the other option was to sweep them all up at car boot sales many years ago when everyone it seemed apart from me was changing to cd's, OMD, Phil Collins, Jean Michel Jarre, 12inch singles to name but a few, all 80's specials were going mega cheap lol