New to railway modelling.

stevej60

Hi folk's, my eldest bought me a Hornby set for my birthday nice size to  make a small layout,included was an oval with their pack A extension and their midi

trackmatt.Now I'd like to build it around the trackmatt so need BC and D to do this.the question is if I eventually ran two train's would I need two transformer's?

I also noticed that buying the individual pieces in the revevent pack's was a fair bit cheaper.My LMS is a Hornby stockist and as with my modelling Ilike to keep

it local also wondered if you can recommend some other retailer's with good service and prices,Hatton's have some great offer's and the set came from Jadlam.

Cheer's Steve.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

If I where you Steve, I would try Hi folk's, my eldest bought me a Hornby set for my birthday nice size to  make a small layout,included was an oval with their pack A extension and their midi

trackmatt.Now I'd like to build it around the trackmatt so need BC and D to do this.the question is if I eventually ran two train's would I need two transformer's?

I also noticed that buying the individual pieces in the revevent pack's was a fair bit cheaper.My LMS is a Hornby stockist and as with my modelling Ilike to keep

it local also wondered if you can recommend some other retailer's with good service and prices,Hatton's have some great offer's and the set came from Jadlam.

Cheer's Steve.

If I were you Steve I would be tempted to ask  the guys who know and deal with this regularly on a rail forum, similar to Britmodeller,  try this:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/

• Like 1

Rayprit is right, RMWeb is a good place for railway modelling and there are a couple of others, including a beginners site whose name escapes me. If you are using the transformer in the set, you will probably need another one for the other track, certainly you would need another controller. Peco do/did some good little pamphlets on various aspects of railway modelling, including electrics. 

It is worth seeing if there a model railway shop near you, they are often run by enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

Before you go too far Steve, you’ll need to consider if it’s just to play trains or more serious. It can have a big impact on how you set up your track and the gubbins that go with it.DC, DCC and DCC sound will all be part of your future along with which era (up to 11 now...), company or area of the country if you go for a detailed set up.

Personally I just run things I like ;)

Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Model Railways Direct and Kernow Model Rail centre are all big hitters in the sales area, and though there’s are plenty more around, three of those four often  commission things that are a little different from the bog standards, Model Railways Direct being the exception.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Edited by charlie_c67
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Before you go too far Steve, you’ll need to consider if it’s just to play trains or more serious. It can have a big impact on how you set up your track and the gubbins that go with it.DC, DCC and DCC sound will all be part of your future along with which era (up to 11 now...), company or area of the country if you go for a detailed set up.

Personally I just run things I like ;)

Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Model Railways Direct and Kernow Model Rail centre are all big hitters in the sales area, and though there’s are plenty more around, three of those four often  commission things that are a little different from the bog standards, Model Railways Direct being the exception.

Welcome to the rabbit hole...

Thank's Charlie,to be honest it's no good planning a superdetailed ultra realistic set which if I had the time and money i would,the set came with the Hornby

midi  Track matt so I had an mdf base cut to enable it to go up into the loft which is around 6x4 and bought the expansion pack's to give me a double oval

and two siding's.Using the track mattas a plan I'm going to lay guagemaster grass roll in the area's around the track paint the road to the board then pin the

track in place add a station and shed as per the matt and generally add a few bit's and pieces,eventually I hope to get another controller and add a small

passenger train to the set(good's) supplied.I can already see how you can get carried away though!

Indeed! If you want to keep it cheap, Hornby do their Railroad range which has less detail (therefore cheaper) but using more modern motors etc. Be careful if you go hunting on eBay for bargains as tender drives and some of the older models are more trouble than they’re worth.

https://magsdirect.co.uk/magazine/britains-model-trains-2018/

I can recommend the above as a pointer for the bewildering array of what is out there! Though some of the prices will make you wince...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to the madness, Steve! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress :)

Just a note of caution regards layouts in the loft, they tend to be places which experience the widest fluctuations in temperature so if you intend having your loft as a permanent modelling area, it might be worth considering insulation of the roof interior. Joint expansion and contraction will conspire to derail your interest, literally!

Edited by clive_t
Added caveat about lofts

57 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Welcome to the madness, Steve! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your progress :)

Just a note of caution regards layouts in the loft, they tend to be places which experience the widest fluctuations in temperature so if you intend having your loft as a permanent modelling area, it might be worth considering insulation of the roof interior. Joint expansion and contraction will conspire to derail your interest, literally!

Thank's Clive,I,ve modelled up there a couple of year's now and you're right it does reflect the season's.I have spent the last three week's putting in the basic's  

layed  track but not yet pinned down also enjoyed my first foray into card modelling,still a good deal of detailing to do mainly scratch building platform etc,as t

the room was originally converted as a bedroom the roof is insulated but it's still a bit nippy whenthe sun's not shining.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

Sounds like you've got it all sorted, looking forward to seeing how you progress it!

I'm sure it won't have escaped your attention that 00 rolling stock is just as receptive to weathering activities as planes/tanks etc :wicked:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, stevej60 said:

My LMS is a Hornby stockist and as with my modelling Ilike to keep

it local also wondered if you can recommend some other retailer's with good service and prices,

Just picked up on this thread. I would concur about keeping things local. I am both a railway modeller as well as having a wide range of interests catered for by plastic models. I applaud you wish to keep things local. I try to buy most of my items from my (no too close) LMS as I rely on them to have those small items, such as pots of paint and feel they need the trade in the larger items to keep them in business,

As to suggestions, I would suggest buying one or more of the monthly magazines on the topic and look at the retailers adverts. Th market is dominated by three big retailers, but seek out special offers and bargain prices.

Lastly http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/

is an excellent resource to locate shops and exhibitions / swap meets. Even with e-bay such events you can still find a second hand bargain. yesterday I picked up a loco at an exhibition for the current e-bay price (inc p&p) with the assurance that it worked, someone I could return it to and no waiting for delivery

• Like 1

Hi  Paul,I noticed there was a shop/unit  on the trading estate at TeamValley Gateshead so had a pop down,what a goldmine!The full monty of

usual scenic's etc but a superb collection of new and pre-owned train's,I picked up a pair of LNER teak coaches boxed for under £30 and a pair of

shell tanker's for £14,I intend to add a couple of more coaches and eventually a suitable period engine so he'll be my first port of call.As you say keep

it local as these shop's need support.

• Like 1