SAAF C-47TP Turbo Dakota

zebra

Here's my 1/72 SAAF C-47TP 'Turbo Dakleton', built for the Maritime Patrol and Coastal Command group build. Build thread is here:

It's the Airfix kit with an Alleycat conversion. You get everything you need in the conversion - resin forward fuselage, engines, props and a replacement starboard wing root, clear resin windscreen and extra windows, PE aerials and decals. Quite a nice conversion but the resin forward fuselage needed a lot of sanding to get it down to the same diameter as the Airfix fuselage.

thanks for looking

Julian

1/72 C-47TP

1/72 C-47TP

1/72 C-47TP

1/72 C-47TP

• Like 41
  • Thanks 1

It looks wonderful Julien, really, really nice indeed.

I almost bought this conversion at a recent show but it was part started and quite expensive!

Cheers

Tony 

PS,.... Are the windows meant to be blanked over or have you forgotten the masking?

Edited by tonyot
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

PS,.... Are the windows meant to be blanked over or have you forgotten the masking?

Yes they're meant to be blanked over! And as a bonus I didn't need to fill them, you can see the outlines of the windows in photos of the real thing. 

Such a useful airframe, it gets a new lease on life with turboprops!

It looks fantastic; you've done an excellent job.

Right down to the feathered prop blades, it is a fine tribute to your work.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Whereas the Basler conversion is a common sight nowadays those AMI/Dodson/ Preferred Turbine Daks (these names are the company’s which build these or trying too in the past) are still not much to be seen in civvy colors and even the South African air force numbers are dwindling..

The difference is that Basler build these frames to a zero hour standard whereas the AMI/Dodson/ Preferred Turbine are not..

Great build by the way it looks da part..

Cheers, Jan

• Thanks 1

Good job, Julian, I built one a while back for Airfix Model World magazine, a great little conversion set from Alleycat. As you say the forward fuselage needs a bit of fettling to match the Airfix parts but nothing too terrible. These 'Turbo Daks' certainly look different and add a new slant to the old beast.

Hope you don't mind me reposting an image of mine, showing another very different scheme for the aircraft.

1-DSC-0477.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

@general melchett your photo is very welcome! I wouldn’t mind doing a Basler myself. It’ll be a little more complex than this one given the differences in the engine fit and the wingtips. But I have a Dart Dakota to do as well and I’d also like to do an R4D-8 and a Conroy Triturbo Three. Plus of course maybe a good old C-47!

• Like 2

I’d also like to do an R4D-8 and a Conroy Triturbo Three. Plus of course maybe a good old C-47!

Thanks Julien, it does involve a bit more surgery but nothing too terrible, to be honest. I completely scratch built the interior as it was quite different on the Basler, (semi-glass cockpit, rearranged storage and of course the FLIR operators position which made things a little more complex. An R4D-8 and Conroy Triturbo are both something I'd also like a go at as would the minerals surveys Spectrem Turbo 67...a very strange looking beast...so many interesting choices!

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Julien, it does involve a bit more surgery but nothing too terrible, to be honest. I completely scratch built the interior as it was quite different on the Basler, (semi-glass cockpit, rearranged storage and of course the FLIR operators position which made things a little more complex. An R4D-8 and Conroy Triturbo are both something I'd also like a go at as would the minerals surveys Spectrem Turbo 67...a very strange looking beast...so many interesting choices!

I’d really like to have a go at the R4D-8 next. I have a spare nose from the C-47TP so the fuselage stretch isn’t a problem. The fin and wing differences are all doable. Just not sure how to do the nacelles. Thinking about trying to remember the CAD skills I last used 20 or so years ago and trying some 3D printing.

• Like 1

trying to remember the CAD skills I last used 20 or so years ago and trying some 3D printing.

3D printing is definitely something I'll be getting into in the near future, particularly useful for the smaller parts, (particularly multiples thereof), a lot of research needed on choosing the right machine and medium.

Regarding the R4D-8, you might be able to use the AIM kit vac parts for the nacelles, if you can find one, or even the Airmodel conversion set,

Airmodel R4D-8/C-117

• Like 1