Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

More thoughtful morsels PC, thank you

And for the rather excellent modelling thank you too, its why we pop in

36, pshaw!

I suspect this means you'll always be 'the Kid' round here, wallow in it as us old gits get grumpier

Et tu PC?

The ides, what a classy birthday enjoy

👊

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Many Happies my dear Edward for which ever day it is, if it had fallen to me to be better versed in the classics, your references to Julius would likely have told me the exact day, but I can't be bottomed to google so like your missus, I'll get in early. Thanks too for your story of the Halifax crew, as any history of Bomber Command, they are, by like measure, stirring & distressing. My copy of Night after Night by Max Lambert, a history of Kiwis with bomber command had me positively howling. The Lanc is coming on nicely too. :) 

Steve.

PS, take Friday off, everyone should have a day off on their Birthday. ;) 

• Like 1

The Flight Eng's seat has a seperate back pad, hinged on the right hand wall. It has a supporting strut to hold it extended in position, the strut has 2 mounting points on the rh wall, one for the extended position, one for the retracted position, where a pip-pin locks it in the mounting point.

• Thanks 1

Further to isaneng's post above,here's a few more pictures of the F/E's "dicky seat"(some with him ensconsed on his "throne" too).

Do bear in mind though,the F/E spent 90% of his time standing up and looking outside the aircraft,so the seat was usually folded up

and out of the way rather than unfolded and hinged into position.

Oh and a very happy birthday too young man.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=avro+lancaster+flight+engineer's+seat&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=pYXSFTi47gCgKM%3A%2C01kmzPgbCpUGGM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kScYyD26KnDVCptHlxlWtfcZn52ow&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiomLzy2vfgAhUFJ1AKHYctByUQ9QEwDHoECAIQBg#imgrc=pYXSFTi47gCgKM:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

My copy of Night after Night by Max Lambert, a history of Kiwis with bomber command had me positively howling.

OH WOW is that pricey here. I guess it (and the companion book Day after Day) must be published in the antipodes?

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

PS, take Friday off, everyone should have a day off on their Birthday. ;) 

This is a belief in which we're united, but at work my coworkers celebrate my birthday and we'll go out for lunch (to a place of my choosing, even!), whereas at home I would merely replace the sitter and watch my fractious children, so off to work it is!

2 hours ago, isaneng said:

lancaster-bomber-cockpit-panoramic-image

Don't laugh, I know it's a beach towel.......  But it's the best shot I can find. You can see the back-rest on the right, folded away, and the supporting strut running back from it, locked in the retracted mounting point.

Ah, and it shows the seatbelt attachment points, too. Perfect!

43 minutes ago, perdu said:

Yes, I'm inclined to agree now. Something to do for future builds, as I have three more in the stash.

• Like 3

It's not as if it detracts from the build anyway PC, still looking as fine as we know you get them

The ides, I am due a parcel delivery upon the ides if it arrives on ti,me I will take it as an omen that your birthday will be blessed and happy

And you will know I wish you a very excellent one

• Like 1

Dammit PC, how can you expect a chap to concentrate upon Sunday Lunch when you launch this in our midst?

:(

The “Wonder Years” shake has a base of blue moon-flavored milk (which tastes like Fruity Pebbles cereal), a collar of vanilla icing, mini marshmallows and sugar stars, and a topper composed of ribbon candy, a heart gummy, cotton candy, and a cotton candy-coated marshmallow.

If I ever get ME to Chicago I intend taking you there to share that delicacy

Wowsah wowsah

5 hours ago, perdu said:

If I ever get ME to Chicago I intend taking you there to share that delicacy

Well it's right by my office (and very close to the tourist zone of the city, so it's an easy trip if for some reason you choose to squander a vacation here.

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Happy Birthday, Edward. I remember turning 36. That was before children. Good times!

I can't imagine having children now. I was exhausted at 34 with Grant. Mrs P seems to have her heart set on a third, and I hope she and her second husband enjoy it, I'll be thousands of miles away.

In any case, some more work done on the interior:

IMG_20190310_152648

IMG_20190310_152654

I went over the seat with some Future for the decal on the headrest, and then sprayed some of the WEM flat coat on it to soften everything, and I think it worked quite nicely. Takes some of the unnatural sheen off the Eduard bits, too.

Hopefully in the not too distant future, we can close up the fuse. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, rob85 said:

If I miss saying on the day, happy birthday, it’s friday no? I may wish you another one closer to the time!

Yep, Friday, the best day for a birthday when you have a 9-to-5 job.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

We had three daughters spaced equally apart, 2 years and two months apart, exactly. They were all born on the 23rd. July '91, September '93, November '95. How's that for family planning?

Chris

• Like 4

Well, even with lots of prepwork, it was still a pig to close up.

IMG_20190310_211751

The long bomb bay denies the two fuselage halves the rigidity they need, I think.

All that's visible of the interior I worked on:

IMG_20190310_211803

Oh crap! I forgot the yoke!

• Like 15
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Looks good (and we know the rest is in there somewhere).

Are you aware of the fix where you cut the wheel well framing off the spars, thus allowing you to assemble the wings separately and slide them on at the end? 

I’m sure you know how to suck eggs too so excuse me if this is old news...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

Are you aware of the fix where you cut the wheel well framing off the spars, thus allowing you to assemble the wings separately and slide them on at the end? 

Not in any functional way, no! Though it sounds risky given my poor cutting track record.

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m sure you know how to suck eggs too so excuse me if this is old news...

I'm honestly a little hazy on what sucking eggs really entails, but it sounds dreadful.

• Haha 5

The idea is that you cut through the spars just inboard of the wheel well. You can then build the wing on its own around the wheel well, and just slide it on to the spars at the end. Sounds better than trying to clamp two wing halves together with a fuselage waggling around on the end.

”Teaching granny to suck eggs” is an English saying that describes giving information to someone who would be expected to know already.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know how I missed the start of this build, but it slipped under my radar somehow. Think I'll pull up a chair.

I may have to send the link to this to my dad.  He was mentioning yesterday that he was considering re-doing all of his 70's era Airfix kits with the "new tool" equivalents! His Lancaster was actually a Revell, but I think he'd make an exception for this kit! :)

Very moving intro, BTW. I appreciate the history behind the build much more than I did when I was a kid.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

”Teaching granny to suck eggs” is an English saying that describes giving information to someone who would be expected to know already.

We use it here too, it's just...grandma, what are you doing? And why?

• Haha 5