Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

Absolutely NOT a C build.  I’d give it an A at least.  I’ve been watching and enjoying the build and hearing snippets about family life’s ever since you started this thread, Edward.  Overall SUPER.

You’re nearly at the finishing line, then you’ve Telford to look forward to.

Thank you very much for sharing it all with us.

Jonny

Wot they've all already said. Absolutely brilliant work, if only I could achieve something even close I'd be proud. 

• Thanks 1

She’s looking great PC. Bringing back some good and some not so good memories of my build last year. 🤣😩🤣

p*sser about the nail mind but hey you got some new tires. 😇 no more squeal noises when you rocket around corners like James Bond. 🙌

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2019 at 6:50 AM, The Spadgent said:

p*sser about the nail mind but hey you got some new tires. 😇 no more squeal noises when you rocket around corners like James Bond. 🙌

Funny you should mention that, as I almost drove up the exhaust pipe of a suddenly slowed tow truck the other day, and in face the tires made some suitably Dukes of Hazzard-esque noises as I frantically stomped on the breaks and changed lanes.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:18 AM, SafetyDad said:

Lovely paintwork and really crisp canopy frames. I especially like the 'integrated' look of your canopy, where it looks completely part of the airframe with no join lines. 

That's the dream, as I see that on real aircraft and builds I admire; I'm not quite where I like to be, but I hope I'm getting closer.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, 825 said:

Wot they've all already said. Absolutely brilliant work, if only I could achieve something even close I'd be proud. 

If I could accomplish half of what you managed with your Maryland, I'd die a happy man.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, Jonny said:

Absolutely NOT a C build.  I’d give it an A at least.  I’ve been watching and enjoying the build and hearing snippets about family life’s ever since you started this thread, Edward.  Overall SUPER.

You’re nearly at the finishing line, then you’ve Telford to look forward to.

Aw shucks, thanks. I like to think my family drama livens up the modelling aspect of it a bit. And indeed, that's what I love about this site; modelling is a pretty asocial hobby, but through building on here, I've made friends across the globe and who I can talk to almost any time I please about our shared interests. It's wonderful. 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:34 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If this is a C, then there are precious few As or Bs around anywhere.  It’s excellent.

I'll be honest, I look closely at the really, really good builds, and my heart sings a little when I see a micrometer of ragged paint from an infinitesimal masking failure. It's like watching a handsome person fall down, it warms me bitter cockles.

On 10/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, rob85 said:

A few points, if this Lancaster is a C I fear for the grade of my spitfires, they may turn out similarly to my GCSE’s.... also not my finest work. 

My grades have been universally Cs throughout my life, which I chalk up to my incredible ability to perform at a mediocre-average standard no matter how difficult the coursework or determined the educator. Mrs P, a teacher, hates kids like me.

Anyway, good news, I still have the proper side windows and they look an easy masking job, so we might do that and get a chance to fix the glue spots on the inside, hurrah!

Tonight I decided to take a risk and busted out my pigments.

I've noticed that in addition to their very prominent overwing exhaust stains from six of the eight Merlin exhaust stacks, Lancs tend to look a bit weathered after any length of time, and Phantom of the Ruhr was worked hard, making all the major Bomber Command trips in 1943 with little time in between turnarounds. So I decided to try using some lighter green and brown pigments to try and duplicate the sort of "chalking" one sees in photos.

IMG_20191013_221348

Hmmm. A bit dusty.

Another layer of dullcoat:

IMG_20191013_223431

What do we think, chaps?

IMG_20191013_223524

19 days to go. 

• Like 20

46 minutes ago, Procopius said:

What do we think, chaps?

Looks like it's been rained on for six months on a dispersal pen in Lincolnshire, so mission accomplished, I think B) 

Careful with those side windows now, won't you? :) 

Cheers,

Stew

p.s. I'd give you a second 'like' for Polly Jean if I could

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/11/2019 at 2:22 PM, Procopius said:

All in all, I fear this is turning out to be a C build, rather than the B- or solid B I was hoping for.

Straight A mate, a beaut build & one I'd be rapt to achieve, I see myself more likely to follow the @dogsbody modelling school. :)

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

IMG_20191013_221348

I really like it and I’m just about to do a similar thing to my stupid Hurricane. I can’t see if you have continued the light fade over the decals.  It looks like it’s only on the camo. Not sure if that was conscious? Either way that’s simply my observation and regardless she looks stunning. Still worried that I didn’t do staining from the engines on my Lanc. They look great on yours.

😀

Jont.

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Straight A mate, a beaut build & one I'd be rapt to achieve, I see myself more likely to follow the @dogsbody modelling school. :)

Steve.

Geeze! Now two of us are lost!

I dropped out of school, just so you know.

Chris

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

looks great! Fading can be really hard to get right, but when you do it makes all the difference!

Hopefully I'll get it right someday!

I've had some computer issues lately, so I'll just briefly cover the progress of the last two nights.

Escape hatch windows on, pigments in their final state:

IMG_20191014_214841

Replacement side windows masked:

IMG_20191014_214623

IMG_20191015_225241

And painted. (Green goes on later.)

Old side windows popped out:

IMG_20191015_225228

And that awful glue smear scraped out with a toothpick. 

Mid-upper dullcoated and unmasked:

IMG_20191015_225308

Gear doors on:

IMG_20191015_225336

Tyres painted Colourcoats Night Bomber Black on the hubs and Tamiya Tire Rubber black on the...tyre-y bits:

IMG_20191014_214539

Then dullcoated.

Also, Winston made it through all of Star Wars on Monday, and found it monstrous fine. He called me "Han" for the rest of the day, and would only respond to "Luke".

IMG_20191014_091120

• Like 21

Nice work Egbert! :) 

Han - or should that be Darth? I assume Luke already knows you are his father… One film down, five to go (or are you going to let him find his own way?)

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

would only respond to "Luke".

Wow... I went through a phase where I did the same! Glad he liked it -- can't beat that movie.

Nice work with those side windows!  I don't know if I would've had the courage...

Star Wars - not improved by re-mastering (Han shot first!) but the first trilogy is still head and shoulders above the newer ones.

Nice Lancaster. The fading looks good and it's nice to see you've got a bit of fading on the over-wing roundels too.

Regards,

Adrian