Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

Your Lanc is looking good Edward, its good to see you back on the job, sorry to hear of your travails with the wee guys teeth, it makes our system of free dental care for kids till the age of 18 & school dental nurses so school kids & pre schoolers get regular check ups seem pretty darn good, not that it stop some people getting dental issues, no cleaning as expoused by @Troy Smith & too many sugary drinks can undo all the best intentions. 

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I heartily agree: the American health care system is in many respects quite poor, and in others actively hostile to the elderly or small children, unless of course a lot of money is thrown at the problem. Had I more money, I might notice it less, but I don't. Winston's sitter, an engineering student from Belize, makes fun of it quite a bit, always bitter medicine to take from a country that has no air force.

Sometimes I feel like poor Grant here:

IMG_20190929_141706

(He'd woken up from a nap, but clearly wasn't quite ready to be awake. Same, Grant, all the time.)

Anyway, after a long weekend, or rather a weekend of normal length which felt long, during which Mrs P was surprised with a new (small) diamond ring and I received A Hero's Reward (pizza, probably), I finally managed to get down to the Lanc tonight.

IMG_20190929_215052

This technically wasn't the only modelling I did this weekend, though, since I recently and on a whim used my rapidly-depleting funds (I fear my sojourn in England is going to be rather more tightly-budgeted than I hoped, at the present rate of dental expenditure) to purchase an Accurate Miniatures 1/72 MQ-1A Predator, and on Saturday I asked Winston if he wanted to build it with me at the kitchen table. DID HE?!? Did he ever. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting that at two Grant now speaks English fairly fluently, and he burst into tears of rage and immediately ran to me and began pummeling me until I placated him with an invitation to join us. Winston did most of the major assembly work of what is a delicate but fairly simple kit, and Grant amused himself by bending my sanding sticks in half.

Winston did well, though he had to be restrained from gluing bits of sprue on to make extra propellers, or indeed from attaching the actual propeller immediately so he could spin it. 

IMG_20190929_215100

Anyway, back to the Lanc! 

IMG_20190929_215032

After an immense amount of masking, it was ready.

IMG_20190929_215935

He who hesitates is lost, so I dug out the Colourcoats and got to it.

IMG_20190929_221629

And then, my favourite part!

Ta-daaaaa!

IMG_20190929_222150

IMG_20190929_222155

Need to fix that starboard side window, I think. But puttering along! 

• Like 29

Looking good PC, ... looking good. Sorry to hear of the medical expenditures, i hope you recover financially soon enough. Be ashamed if you have to travel to the U.K. on a paupers budget. And need to find employment while there as a temporary employee just to eat. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Very nice PC - great masking and resulting lines, good job! :) 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

(I fear my sojourn in England is going to be rather more tightly-budgeted than I hoped, at the present rate of dental expenditure)

Hint - stop buying diamond rings! I'm sure we'll manage. Selling Grant's bed was a good move though, I'm sure they floor is just as comfortable :D 

Nice work on the Predator too boys - is it going to get painted or is it now being buzzed around the house with Winnie making 'neeeeaaaww' noises?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The Lanc is looking great Edward :)

All glory to Colourcoats! Only a 1mm dot of paint lifted anywhere on the model when I unmasked, and I was using the lift-prone 40mm Tamiya stuff. Really love these paints.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Hint - stop buying diamond rings! I'm sure we'll manage. Selling Grant's bed was a good move though, I'm sure they floor is just as comfortable :D 

Ha! In my defense, I bought the ring back when it looked like these sorts of things were behind us forever and it just took forever to get delivered (and it's not a very expensive ring), but at least now we have jewelry to sell as well as models.

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work on the Predator too boys - is it going to get painted or is it now being buzzed around the house with Winnie making 'neeeeaaaww' noises?

I hope to paint and decal it with Win, but we'll see. 

• Like 6

Smashing paintwork. I worry not so much about dental bills for your finances as about profligate use of Tamiya masking tape. That's pretty much a year's worth for me right there! 

I find flowers are much more cost-effective than jewellery, not that I've tried the latter route much(*)...

Regards,

Adrian

(*) OK, I bought an engagement ring once. Wedding ring courtesy of wife's late gran. When passing a jewellers, always take care to point to the item you know your wife will hate the most and exclaim how nice it would look...

• Haha 6

Superb paintwork PC. While I'm at it (hope you don't mind me posting a piccie on your thread). Here is a the Harris family coat of arms at display in the RAF Hendon museum. There is a section dedicated to Bomber Harris. Me and Bill (Perdu) saw this and immediately thought of you:

IMG-5453.jpg

PS in heraldic symbolism the hedgehog represents cunning perseverance, which you display plenty of in your builds.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I find flowers are much more cost-effective than jewellery, not that I've tried the latter route much(*)...

Mrs P rarely asks for anything, so the metal detector and the ring represent the sum total of things she's asked for in the past six months, so I don't begrudge her either -- both were perfectly affordable in a normal universe for us, but nothing is affordable in a world bedeviled with Winston's rotting teeth.

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

(*) OK, I bought an engagement ring once. Wedding ring courtesy of wife's late gran. When passing a jewellers, always take care to point to the item you know your wife will hate the most and exclaim how nice it would look...

Mrs P actually lost her wedding ring (formerly her late grandmother's) early on in our marriage, and it cost a pretty penny to replace, but I've never brought it up in case I need it when/if she finds out how much I've spent on the stash.

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

Superb paintwork PC. While I'm at it (hope you don't mind me posting a piccie on your thread). Here is a the Harris family coat of arms at display in the RAF Hendon museum. There is a section dedicated to Bomber Harris. Me and Bill (Perdu) saw this and immediately thought of you:

Aw shucks! I saw that with Ced when I was there, and it's safe to say I loved it. What a compliment!

• Like 7

23 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Here is a the Harris family coat of arms at display in the RAF Hendon museum. There is a section dedicated to Bomber Harris. Me and Bill (Perdu) saw this and immediately thought of you:

IMG-5453.jpg

PS in heraldic symbolism the hedgehog represents cunning perseverance, which you display plenty of in your builds.

I hate to spoil it, but there is no such thing as a family coat of arms. That's something invented by American sales people. Coats of arms were/are issued to individuals (to help find them in battle - it would be no use if the father and son both had the same coat of arms!). It can be passed down, but only to one son so there is only ever 1 person entitled to use a given coat of arms. 

Ian

• Like 1

I'm still really pleased by how well the camo turned out. I made my boss look at pictures of it at work and didn't relent until he made suitably admiring noises.

IMG_20190930_202914

Look at it! Phwoar! Such a different experience from trying to do this five years ago with Vallejo Model Air.

Quick test-fit of the turret:

IMG_20190930_203020

Annnnnnnnnnnd main gear assembly resumes!

IMG_20191001_210913

I also started on the horizontal stabilizers and rudders:

IMG_20191001_210847

But I'd thinned the paint heavily and sprayed it on too fast on one side, so got an orange peel effect that will likely need sorting once it dries out:

IMG_20191001_210859

Ah well. At least I'm making progress. Also, my dental insurance is finally starting to come through, and it looks like it should cover about half of Winston's bill, which is something at least.

31 days until I land in Britain, and yes, I am available to lead an interim government as a compromise candidate. Churchill was half-American, and this is no time for half-measures.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I am available to lead an interim government as a compromise candidate. Churchill was half-American, and this is no time for half-measures.

I, for one, welcome our new Erinaceidae overlord :worthy:

Your boss was right to make admiring noises at your Lancaster :) Even if you didn't give him the choice :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I hate to spoil it, but there is no such thing as a family coat of arms. That's something invented by American sales people. Coats of arms were/are issued to individuals (to help find them in battle - it would be no use if the father and son both had the same coat of arms!). It can be passed down, but only to one son so there is only ever 1 person entitled to use a given coat of arms. 

Not quite.  While it is true that if your name is so and so you don’t automatically have that coat of arms, once the right to a coat of arms has been awarded to an individual it becomes his (usually) family’s armorial bearings and is passed down through generations.  Younger sons can bear the same arms but “differenced” by the application of various “labels”.

AW

As you say, it can be passed down, but only to one son. It is not the "family's" coat of arms. There could be many different coats of arms for Smith for example, of which some may be in no way related to others. My point is that the "souvenir" industry is pushing the "family coat of arms" to people who think that because they have the same last name, that is their coat of arms, and that is totally incorrect.

Ian

• Like 4

Wonderful masking dear boy. Simply wonderful. Great (and fast) painting and revealing to boot. 😀

I’m guessing that’s not Tamiya tape. what is it? And the most important question, is it cheap. Ish. 🤔🙌🥳

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m guessing that’s not Tamiya tape. what is it? And the most important question, is it cheap. Ish. 🤔🙌🥳

Afraid it was, Johnny me boy! I used long strips of 10mm tape for the fuselage demarcation and the edges of the wings, and then torn up bits of their big 40mm stuff, which is noticeably grippier and more liable to lift paint to fill in. Fortunately, Colourcoats' adhesion is second to none.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Afraid it was, Johnny me boy! I used long strips of 10mm tape for the fuselage demarcation and the edges of the wings, and then torn up bits of their big 40mm stuff, which is noticeably grippier and more liable to lift paint to fill in. Fortunately, Colourcoats' adhesion is second to none.

40mm😛😛😛😛😛😛 I seeeeeeee.  I’m all over that. 🤩 thanks.

Edited by The Spadgent