Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

8 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hope things go okay next week. Forgive me if I'm butting in where I have no business, but does Win know that if he doesn't curb himself a bit he will probably have to go to a different school? If he doesn't, might that knowledge, if imparted, go some way toward improving the situation?

No, but he also hates going to school, so it might spur him in the wrong direction. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hang in there, PC.

Kids eh? Maybe in about 15 years you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Good to see you back at the modelling desk though.

Regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Maybe in about 15 years you'll see the light at the end of the tunnel.

24 & counting. :( 

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Good to see you back at the modelling desk though.

YYYYEEEESSSS. !!!!!

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nicely Lancastered Ed, I hadn't realised you should mask before building on turrets

NOW I know where I am going wrong...   :)

And now I realise where you are going wrong

Those lads

You are FEEDING them, has to be a bad move

Bread once a day and gruel twice a week, that didn't do prisoners in The Clink any harm did it?

Oh did it?

Oh...

I was just thinking keep 'em weak, get fewer interactions

To be fair it sounds as if there are improving signs ahead, so carry on modelling

And may I add to the encircling world, I prefer grey plastic to that overglossy black stuff Airfix used to use

It doesn't show fingerglues as well

• Haha 4

Great to see you back at the bench PC - nice work on the turret! 

Children, sadly, don't come with instructions, always been one of the problems with them. Have you tried masking? :D 

• Haha 5

We visited a psychotherapist for Winnie today; he's to have an IQ test and a few tests for learning, spatial, and sensory disabilities. Since he may have inherited his mother's severe dyslexia and my crippling depression, I am, however, shallow it may be, hoping that his IQ is off the charts, since Montessori kids generally do very poorly on standardized testing, and if I carry any gifts for my offspring in my genes, it's that I did extraordinarily well on the verbal (but, uh, not the math) portion of the standardized college admissions exams here (SAT and ACT) at the tender age of twelve. It hasn't really translated to anything since then, but the school doesn't need to know that, and I've found that the number, if it's high enough, will cause people to overlook many, many performance issues. It's really more of a prestige thing; I've met many young people who have or had high IQs, and I don't think I've ever known anyone of them to do better than a person of so-called average intelligence with an above-average larding of perseverance and determination. Testing will start later this month, wish Winston luck. 

Minor or not-so-minor disaster struck today with the model, though. The inboard nacelle backs are separate in case you're a blasphemous heathen who wants to build the aircraft flaps down to spoil its lines, and I've somehow clipped and then lost both D1 parts, which I of course discovered immediately after gluing the flaps firmly and irrevocably up. I tidied the desk and searched the garbage can (twice), but only found discarded scalpel blades by the pointy end for my pains. I have two (three, if you count a B.II) more Lancaster kits I could raid, but one hates to go that route.

IMG_20190608_224836

How do these things happen to me? I have no idea, which is why they'll keep happening.

It's allergy season here, and I'm being absolutely crushed by mine this year; the air is full of pollen, drifting like some angry cotton god exploded in the stratosphere, to Edward what the EMP from an airbursting atomic weapon is for an unshielded computer. Over the counter allergy medication seems to do nothing.

However, Battle of Britain is streaming on Amazon Prime, so not all is wrong with the world, and I did get a little done.

Bow turret masked:

IMG_20190608_211431

And painted:

IMG_20190608_214040

IMG_20190608_214057

And the aforementioned flaps are on:

IMG_20190608_222153

• Like 18

Good luck to Winnie :fingerscrossed:

That turret looks good PC. Sorry to hear you've temporarily mislaid the nacelle backs and I hope they'll turn up; they'll be in the last place you look :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hey PC

Good to see you back at the bench (even if you have had a bit of a mishap) if you need em I have some spare D1's coz I did build mine with the flaps down, just give us a shout I can send them on their way to you?

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good luck to Winston.

The Lanc: is coming together nicely now, looking forward to more progress as and when time permits

Roger

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

Testing will start later this month, wish Winston luck. 

Absolutely, as a father of at least one slightly less than perfect but loved to bits young man, my thoughts are with you guys. :)

Steve.

I am wishing Young Winston well for his testing too Edward, I feel he will do well

And good luck with the missing fairings, Iain's offer should get you back on track

Bon chance mon brave

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good luck to little Winston! Hope all goes well.

I thought I had the bits you needed but I’ve just checked my spares and I don’t, I must at some point have had a clear out (not very like me) or (more likely) I’ve lost them in the move.

hope you sort it out though!

Cunning idea of building and painting the turrets separately, I will borrow this.

Rob

Standing shoulder to knee with Winston, nature provides the canvas, nurture provides the paint and subject. He's so young that test him today, he will favour the elephant, test him tomorrow he will favour the mule, but he seems to have a well developed sense of who he is already, better than high IQ in the long run..

Keep persevering with the Lanc, 'small steps, Sparks'.

If Bill's buying the first, can I offer a second?

154 Sleeps to Tell

Box On

Strickers

• Like 2

5 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey PC

Good to see you back at the bench (even if you have had a bit of a mishap) if you need em I have some spare D1's coz I did build mine with the flaps down, just give us a shout I can send them on their way to you?

Cheers buddy

Iain

You know Iain, I'll take you up on it! Nothing will make them appear so readily as replacements on their way. Happy to pay P&P, of course.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Procopius said:

You know Iain, I'll take you up on it! Nothing will make them appear so readily as replacements on their way. Happy to pay P&P, of course.

Hey PC

PM me with your details mate and I'll get em sent off to you. Don't worry about P&P I don't think it will break the bank 👍 😎

Iain

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HAMP man said:

If Bill's buying the first, can I offer a second?

154 Sleeps to Tell

This is getting promising! Fortunately, I never get hangovers from scotch or its various derivatives. (Cognac, on the other hand...)

Hard to believe five months have passed already since I bought my tickets. Only five to go!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

This is getting promising! Fortunately, I never get hangovers from scotch or its various derivatives.

Preferences noted, but what about lovely warm flat beer? (Mwah har har)

Box On

Strickers

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Nothing will make them appear so readily as replacements on their way. Happy to pay P&P, of course.

Not true! I still haven't found that missing Hurricane carb intake even though you sent me a replacement almost a year ago.

May luck be with Winston.

On my Hurc build, I've kept all the parts that have been de-sprued in an old 35mm film container. I've knocked it over a few times but the tight-fitting lid keeps everything inside. Maybe a small plastic container with a lid ( Tupperware? ) is what you need? Glad and Ziploc both have small containers available at most grocery stores. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Preferences noted, but what about lovely warm flat beer? (Mwah har har)

It's a source of abiding shame to me that I've never really cared for beer, regardless of temperature or carbonation. I suppose I'm just an effete, dissipated toff at heart.

• Haha 4

Was just thinking the other day that I haven't seen your posts for a while (although I have been skulking in the Trainer and FROG GBs). Good to see you back! Nice work on the airframe and my sympathies for the child situation. My wife and I have raised one "good" child and one that has fought (and is still fighting) the universe every step of the way, and for the life of me I can't tell what we did right or wrong.

[Edit: for allergies, have you tried echinacea root extract, either as a drink or tablets? It's not specifically an anti-histamine but it seems to improve the workings of the nose. It worked well for me.]

Regards,

Adrian

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

My wife and I have raised one "good" child and one that has fought (and is still fighting) the universe every step of the way, and for the life of me I can't tell what we did right or wrong.

We may be in the same boat with Grant, who's an amiable little chap who just wants to eat, and Winston, one tough kid who doesn't play by the rules. 

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

[Edit: for allergies, have you tried echinacea root extract, either as a drink or tablets? It's not specifically an anti-histamine but it seems to improve the workings of the nose. It worked well for me.]

I'm trying some different stuff now -- echinacea has never worked for me, unfortunately -- and hopefully it will help. It's also gotten damp this evening, which should tamp down the pollen a bit. 

I glued on the outer flaps tonight, but nothing else. I reckon next I'll need to do the mid-upper and rear turrets, then the landing gear. We're actually not that far from the painting stage, when you think about it.

EDIT: Plus I found my Perfect Plastic Putty and worked on blending the canopy-fuselage join. Is it my imagination or is the stuff in the metal tube much thicker and harder to work with than "classic" PPP?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Procopius said:

EDIT: Plus I found my Perfect Plastic Putty and worked on blending the canopy-fuselage join. Is it my imagination or is the stuff in the metal tube much thicker and harder to work with than "classic" PPP?

Is there a PPP not in a tube? Whaaaa I need it in my life. My tube stuff is slowly going harder and harder as the lid slowly refuses to go back on.💁‍♂️

Great to see you back at it PC, that turret is looking good with the brass parts.

Good luck for the boys test, I’m sir he’ll do just fine.

John. 😇

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

My tube stuff is slowly going harder and harder

Tip from Perdu - put a drop of water in the end before you put the top back on; working for me (as is a drop of Liquid Poly in the Humbrol filler). HTH.

• Thanks 3