Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

I still haven't seen any of them other than the first one, and not all of that either! 

Great progress on the Lanc though. The weathering looked very dubious until you dull coated it, that made a huge difference.

Ian

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fritag said:

Great looking Lanc PC.  Hope you enjoy your trip to the UK.

I'm very much looking forward to it! 

9 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Good choice of viewing too; can't beat the original Star Wars :) 

8 hours ago, CedB said:

One film down, five to go (or are you going to let him find his own way?)

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Star Wars - not improved by re-mastering (Han shot first!) but the first trilogy is still head and shoulders above the newer ones.

Totally agreed. I made despecialized DVDs when Winston was born in preparation for this moment; he's seeing the original, theatrical release cuts of all three films. However, I'm not sure what you mean by "newer ones"; there are only three Star Wars movies.

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Wow... I went through a phase where I did the same! Glad he liked it -- can't beat that movie.

Agreed, I loved them to death. Sadly it turns out toy X-Wings are insanely priced, which is too bad, because Winston loves them.

3 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Gosh! Brave man to attack that canopy once it was glued and painted. However I have every confidence in your ability to restore it (once amended) to a pristine state.

2 hours ago, opus999 said:

Nice work with those side windows!  I don't know if I would've had the courage...

So, and this may be a coincidence, but I was home late after running the office Dungeons and Dragons game (really!), and had a drink with a coworker at the train station, and since I'm not a beer guy, I had this:

ci-cutwater-black-skimmer-highball-whisk

It was...not good, but it's possible it may have contributed to my decision to go for it with the windows. The importance of "going for it" when your skills don't seem up to the task is important in modelling, because if you fail, you can smash it (catharsis!) and if you succeed, you feel ten feet tall. We'll see how tall I feel when I get those side windows on.

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The fading looks good and it's nice to see you've got a bit of fading on the over-wing roundels too.

I didn't do anything to them, I swear! I do think the Lanc would benefit from having the markings painted on when possible, though.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Procopius said:

after running the office Dungeons and Dragons game (really!)

1982 - RAF Church Fenton - Basic Flying Training.  A bunch of teenage trainee pilots living in cold, drafty wooden huts (here today gone tomorrow students didn't get to live in the officers mess proper) distracting themselves in the evenings from the cold and the daily fear of being chopped from flying training by drinking and playing dungeon and dragons.  For some reason I can remember vividly the drunken hilarity following one of us working out that our characters were stuck in a room with the walls closing in on us.  "The walls are moving" then became a course euphemism for every sh*t occurrence that befell us thereafter......

Can't remember how to play it now......

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Limping towards the finish line, I daresay.

Added one of the rudders, the (unpainted) tailwheel assembly sans wheel, painted one side window properly and have one left to redo. 

IMG_20191017_214007

I painted the rear top of the tail turret dark green, going off the famous colour photo of the assembly line that shows it so. I also unmasked and discovered, to my horror that the portside machineguns hadn't had the side of their elevating gear painted, and it was clearly visible through the side of the turret, so I prised it out and painted it.

IMG_20191017_214023

Avro_Lancaster_aircraft_under_constructi

I tried some weathering on the mainwheels as well:

IMG_20191017_214238

And patched up the small part where the paint had lifted:

IMG_20191017_214250

Today was a long day, as Mrs P had both her after-work meeting and then a talk on the sleeping patterns of children (desperately needed in Hedgehog Manor, as Grant wakes up if a blade of grass outside the house is bent by a zephyr, and rises at five in the morning, and Winston refuses to go to sleep until he passes out where he stands, and wakes reluctantly and in a rage) that went until 8, which meant I had to solo feeding them and putting them to bed, a task complicated by the fact that Mrs P then opted to return home mere minutes before I was about to get them both down for the count for un mauvais quart d'heure, causing the children to descend upon her and obtain second dinners for themselves and then to become disastrously riled up. I finally got them down an hour after that. But victory is close, and tired as I was, I made time for this. Because I care.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

The Lanc is looking quite good there PC. Save some strength for your travels abroad. Just on a whim is there anything you need from the Butch O’Hare show next month ? Something i should keep an lookout for ? If you think of anything just go ahead and PM or text me. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

un mauvais quart d'heure

Haha, James Thurber used the exact same phrase in a short piece about trying to teach his gardener how to drive when he was living in France; his gardener spoke no English and Thurber's French proved inadequate under stress, I suspect that your experience translates as directly as the phrase used does :lol: 

A propos, that Lanc is un avion absolument magnifique B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 2

Your bravery in prising out that machine gun is to be admired PC :)

Ah, children and sleep eh? Don't worry, it won't be long until - having trained you both to wake at silly o'clock - you'll have trouble getting them out of their beds before noon…

• Haha 3

Exactly what Roger says

This is stunning model, but I am apt to hate it when you finish it *

Until you start the next tour de force, whereupon I will give it the love it so richly deserves

I feel for you on the subject of the boys, I am reasonable sure all will be well as it ends matey

We must try to ensure you have a great visit, you deserve it

*because I love it now and finished means the story told and unreturned to

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2019 at 11:28 PM, CedB said:

you'll have trouble getting them out of their beds before noon…

+1 

My oldest rarely comes out of his cave at all and never before 11AM.

I won't presume to advise; I can only give my experience, and that is, with all 3 of my boys we were woken up at inhumane hours on the weekends until they were about 4 or 5, which is when we put a little box of cereal at a reach-able height in the pantry, put a kid-sized jug of milk in the fridge and laid down some ground rules about what they could do before we woke up.  After that, we slept until we wanted on the weekends.  I think the boys liked the grown-up feeling of "making" their own breakfast.

May or may not work for you, but the message here is, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm excited to see the Lanc so close to finishing!  It looks fantastic and the weathering and wear looks so realistic thus far!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

First side window is in:

IMG_20191019_212100

It looks a bit of a bodge, but that can't be helped at this point. 

Of course, such things can never be achieved without a sacrifice to the modelling gods:

IMG_20191019_212113

Two of the tail guns snapped off, but in a stroke of good luck that has me worried about the other shoe dropping, they landed on a piece of paper towel I'd left on the floor (as I'm a disgusting creature, incapable of cleaning up after myself), and so I have them right at hand to reattach after we get the other side window in. 

In other news, I have a small request which may or may not be related to my next planned build subject(s): 

• Like 12

And now, a mere 246 days after I started on it, the kit is finished.

IMG_20191020_191248

Side windows in:

IMG_20191020_191241

IMG_20191020_191259

Tail turret repaired:

IMG_20191020_191306

IMG_20191020_191314

And tucked away safely:

IMG_20191020_192030

I've known for a while what I wanted to do next, and so the adventure continues in A Summer Where the Bad Light Stopped. The thread title, for those curious, is a reference to the poem "Observer Corps: 1940", by Peter Scupham.

• Like 24