Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

There's pretty much nothing in the way of hobby shops in my neck of the woods, aside from the odd Hobby Lobby, so thirty kits in person sounds pretty good to me! 

30 kits sounds good eh? You're going to need a long rest in a darkened room when you get to Telford! :laugh:

SD

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, SafetyDad said:

30 kits sounds good eh? You're going to need a long rest in a darkened room when you get to Telford! :laugh:

At this point I'm grimly contemplating selling all my 1/32 kits for walking around money there.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

There's pretty much nothing in the way of hobby shops in my neck of the woods, aside from the odd Hobby Lobby,

There is Chicago hobbies on Northwest highway.

http://chicagoland-hobby.shoplightspeed.com/

Not super close to you, but not too far either. Its about 5 minutes from my in-laws but an hour away from me. They have a decent selection of kits but thats about it. They’re mostly Rail and R.C. stuff. 

Dennis

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

There's pretty much nothing in the way of hobby shops in my neck of the woods, 

You should be up here, in my neck of the woods! It's a 2 hour drive south before you get out of our northern aboreal forest and you get to the first bit of farmland. Then it's another 2+ hour drive to Edmonton and the first hobby shop.

Chris

14 hours ago, Procopius said:

At this point I'm grimly contemplating selling all my 1/32 kits for walking around money there.

Really sorry to hear this. As Jamie says above, let's hope it doesn't come to that. 

SD

Edward, 

That turned out very well indeed. 

As for your trip to Telford. Well all I can say is that you better be prepared to be blown away. I was planning to go this year also but due to one of our nieces deciding to get married (of all things) I had to put it off until next year. But I have been several times prior and I guarantee it is the best modelling show on Earth. My advise is to take pictures as you will not be able to absorb it all.  As for the amount of money to bring....well forget it my friend...there isn't enough money to cover what you'll want to buy believe me...what  I usually do is pick out things I know I could not get readily here or if they have something special for the show first then go from there. Try to absorb as much as possible. I am lucky ,as it seems you are, to have friends there to "guide" you as you walk through the aisles in amazement. Enjoy your time and the company because it goes all too fast. 

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dullcoat's on, masks are off:

IMG_20191010_200048

I have terrible luck with canopies, and there was some glue fouling on the interior:

IMG_20191010_200053

But once again Colourcoats came through for me: the last Lancaster I built had a load of paint lift off with the mask. Here? Almost none.

IMG_20191010_200129

I had to scrub the interior rear windows off with a Q-tip dipped in IPA after seeing them unmasked:

IMG_20191010_200142

All in all, I fear this is turning out to be a C build, rather than the B- or solid B I was hoping for. Oh well. Onward!

• Like 23

A 'C'? Serously? I think you are being way too hard on yourself mate :fraidnot:

Anyway the rest of us may judge it as we like when it is finished, not long now :) 

Were the fuselage windows gummy with tape-glue residue? I had something like that happen on the Emilys...

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Were the fuselage windows gummy with tape-glue residue? I had something like that happen on the Emilys...

No, surprisingly that wasn't very prevalent at all. I think it was getting glue on the inside of the canopy when putting in the bulged side windows (which a consult of my references today reveal to have been wrong, she had the unbulged ones, grrrrr) what done me in.

Also, side note: the interior photoetch looks cool while building the kit, but is totally invisible once it's closed up and unmasked. The seatbelts are really all you need on that front.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Every modeller looks at his or her own work and sees only the errors or imperfections.  Everyone else sees the overall effect and all the good stuff, thus generally ignoring (or not even seeing) anything bad.

If this is a C, then there are precious few As or Bs around anywhere.  It’s excellent.

• Like 4

A few points, if this Lancaster is a C I fear for the grade of my spitfires, they may turn out similarly to my GCSE’s.... also not my finest work. 

8 months and you have the transfers on! Ok speedy how about you calm down there! Maybe take a rest and bask in the shine of you lancaster’s transparency’s..... I’ve been building 4 merlins for two years and three are at gloss coat. (I feel context is always important) 

replacing all 4 tyres, that truly sucks! Maybe just sell your body? This would generate some money? Don’t worry kits are cheap it Telford so you wouldn’t need much....

lancaster looks flipping ace, nice work

Rob 

Edited by rob85
  • Haha 3