Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

Could just be that your boss is a better judge of people than most, Edward? We're not always the best judges of our own attributes (personally I think mine balances out, as I overestimate my talents 50% of the time and hopefully underestimate the remainder :D )

That Lancaster is looking smashing, by the way B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Lancaster is looking superb! I passed through Chicago on Friday on my way home and couldn’t quite believe the outside temperature reading of 82F at 8:30pm when we took off. (Should have been 7:20pm but we won’t go there...)

Regards,

Adrian

Welcome back Egbert!

Sorry to hear about Winnie's teeth - I thought our two were expensive but crikey, those healthcare costs are really eating into the stash eh?

Good news on the work front and I'm sure you'll make a great boss, if only because you care…

Nice finish on the Lanc too - that variation looks right to me :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rob G said:

Yeah, yeah, nice Lancaster. What I want to hear about is Mrs P's metal detector. She's an odd woman (if that's not a redundant expression...), your shelia.

I often tell her that her infiltration of the human race isn't going as smoothly as she seems to think it is.

She's wanted a metal detector to look for coins (she loves old wheat pennies, and likes the idea of digging them up) for a while, and it turns out a basic model can be had fairly cheaply, it costs about two Profipacks or $50 USD with tax (given sterling's current trajectory, this is probably several wheelbarrows' worth of pound notes), and so I got her one, along with a ring she wanted, shortly before she turned us into paupers with the boy's party, because if I knew then what I know now...

In any case, she loves it, and will take any excuse to go detecting, usually bringing the boys with to dig for her. Our yard looks like a colony of enraged gophers hit it.

Here she is with Grant at the beach earlier today.

IMG_20190922_101052

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovely masking and spraying. I know what you mean about stash selling for life items. It’s the only thing I have left to sell. Except these obvious and nobody wants that. 🥳 

Ah, Jonners, with that rakish beard, you're sure to find buyers.

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about Winnie's teeth - I thought our two were expensive but crikey, those healthcare costs are really eating into the stash eh?

It's been murderous. Since the boys have been born, it's probably cost us close to $25,000 in healthcare costs over the last four years, which is not, technically speaking, money we really had lying around to give away.

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

(Don't mention the Dambusters. Due to a new Max Hastings book, it seems to be a thorny subject at the moment amongst the easily offended).

What's old Max "von" Hastings got to say about them? I read his book on Normandy and ended it confused as to how the Allies had won the war, let alone gotten out of France and into Germany by 1945.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A female detectorist eh? 

Not sure if the humour will translate, but google The Dectorists on the BBC iplayer, may give rise to a titter.

How do you get the finish so dust free?

Box On 

Strickers

CU@SMW

4 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

A female detectorist eh? 

Not sure if the humour will translate, but google The Dectorists on the BBC iplayer, may give rise to a titter.

I love The Detectorists, I think it's one of the best and most affectionate portraits of hobbyists of any stripe I've ever seen. I showed Mrs P some episodes, and she mostly took notes on their gear and techniques for her own purposes.

5 minutes ago, HAMP man said:

How do you get the finish so dust free?

I take my pictures from far away, so you can't see it.

• Haha 10

I painted the spinners and prop blades Gunze Gloss Black, which proved almost impossible to photograph under the lighting conditions prevalent in the grotto tonight. But I think you get the idea.

IMG_20190922_220522

The heat, humidity, and latterly, a sort of weak and cowardly rain that drizzles without lowering the temperature have all persisted today, resulting in the smaller members of the clan slowly losing their minds to cabin fever and tearing about the house or experimenting to see which parts of dad could be punched before he'd absolutely lose his marbles and chase down a three-year-old like a lion about to bring down an antelope. Winston can probably write the definitive work on places I dislike being hit in by now, but like many other scientific pioneers, he still feels there's more to be learned on the subject. If he continues to find his endeavours crowned with success, he can seamlessly pivot into finding out whether or not there's a god when I snap and send him into the next world.

9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Isn't that where the roundel decal goes?

I certainly hope so.

40 days until Cookie and I fly out of O'Hare to the UK.

• Like 9

Nice props PC :) 

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

40 days until Cookie and I fly out of O'Hare to the UK.

Yes! Better get the first week planned then…

• Like 3

Great to have you back PC!

A rather excellent Lanc is coming into it's own as well.

I cannot fathom this craze for fixing a four year old's milk teeth. All of them will come out during the next six years or so, so to me this sounds like a scam.

But where I live dentistry is free for anyone up to 20 in any case...

• Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 05:22, Procopius said:

I was told (multiple times) that brushing his teeth in the morning was a wasteful extravagance, but I should have thought twice about that, because only one of us has cavities when we go to the dentist, and it's never me.

if you want a bit of back up,  brushing using a fluouride toothpaste not only removes food debris and plaque, which makes acid which attacks teeth enamel, it strengthens the enamel.

Tooth enamel is basically hydroxy apatite,  the point of attack for the plaque acid is the hydroxy bit, fluoride in toothpaste replaces the hydroxl ion with a fluorine ion, making fluoro apatite,  remember that Fluorine is the most reactive element,  so is quite a bit harder to attack...

or I could just link wiki...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tooth_enamel#Remineralization

though mine is maybe clearer....

FWIW, I had  really decent dentist from childhood until my late 30's, one of the new breed who believed children could grow up without fillings..i had one milktooth that had a filling.  None in my adult teeth.

Neat work on the lanc.... 

cheers

T

EDIT to add 'my'

• Like 3

Sorry to hear of your recent travails Edward.  I've been through the mill a bit myself with the reddies i.e lots going out and not much coming in, but your children's teeth and medical costs made my eyes water.  Thanks God for the NHS is all I can say.   Not that they pay for teeth, mind you. At least not mine.  Very sorry you had to flog some of your stash.  Never a nice feeling.  Anyway, the Lancaster is coming on a treat.

• Thanks 1

The children's' bedtime has been pushed back to 7:30, an apocalyptic event for us, as we're now at the point where we run out of steam at about 8, so not much has been done lately aside from shovelling another $200 into the Moloch of Winston's dentistry. Naturally Weta is having a huge WNW sale, and my liquidity is at an all time low. Ah well, just need to remember this feeling for when Mrs P pushes for a third child again (she tacitly admitted she thought it wasn't helping her chances, but this is incorrect; short of a lottery win in the high nine figures, it's scuppered them forever). 

In any case, prop tips unmasked: 

IMG_20190926_210228

And the labourious process of starting to mask for the black is now begun:

IMG_20190926_210942

• Like 20