Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

When we got home, there was a pointless fight over my losing one of Grant's crocs, then a further fight because I didn't seem to care (I didn't), and then a final fight when the croc was discovered, mainly, I gathered, because it hadn't really been lost and she'd had to get mad at me for nothing

What possessed you to fight back PC?  If my 30 years of married life are anything to go by you can’t have expected to win (or even draw for that matter).

Telford will be better

Only as a euphemism for Scale Modelworld.  Otherwise I find  Telford an almost infinitely depressing place.  I have several times got lost in the shopping centre.  Who wants or needs a 100,000m2 shopping centre?  Why does it always seem to be between me and the model show so’s I have to go through it (apologies to any Telford dweller and/or anyone who has learnt to love it).

I’m hoping to get to SMW this year so no doubt I’ll get lost again.

If it’s any compensation (I know it isn’t) this thread (as all PC threads) is a very enjoyable read :D

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice turret :)

Wot he said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It comes to something when a cruise on The Great Lakes which might well be on several of our Bucket Lists becomes a voyage to Hell for one of our friends!

Rest assured we shall do all we can to give you a time to enjoy

Remembering might be optional PC

Turret?

Yes dammit, still more lovely than I could achieve darnit

Great stories from the American Mid-West, but bathed in "Oh Soddit"

I'm glad the croc turned up, not surprised that an engineered spat ensued over it

I've been happily married for 52years...or more...or...

🍻🍻🍺🍻🍻🍺🍻🍻

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

What possessed you to fight back PC?  If my 30 years of married life are anything to go by you can’t have expected to win (or even draw for that matter).

Only as a euphemism for Scale Modelworld.  Otherwise I find  Telford an almost infinitely depressing place.  I have several times got lost in the shopping centre.  Who wants or needs a 100,000m2 shopping centre?  Why does it always seem to be between me and the model show so’s I have to go through it (apologies to any Telford dweller and/or anyone who has learnt to love it).

I’m hoping to get to SMW this year so no doubt I’ll get lost again.

If it’s any compensation (I know it isn’t) this thread (as all PC threads) is a very enjoyable read :D

Wot he said.

You're kidding.  My sister seems to spend most of her spare time happily wandering around the Westfield shopping centre in Shepherd's Bush which, to my reckoning, is about four square miles big.  I only went there once and decided that the shops weren't 'niche' enough i.e. no model shop and the book shop didn't have a military aircraft section.  What's the point, I say?  Shepherd's Bush was the first place I lived in in London.  To coin a phrase, I can remember when all this were empty, derelict light industrial buildings, BBC outposts and grotty corner shops.  Sigh.  That's progress, I suppose. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Safe bet. 

In any case, summer vacation was a total disaster. Grant barfed two hours before we were supposed to leave, delaying us for a day at home, which was awkward, as in a flurry of zeal we'd gotten rid of almost all of the food in the house. Winston then threw up the day after we arrived, and a day after that, by which point it was July 4, I was afflicted with a high fever and intense gastrointestinal distress, which left me rather delirious and caused Mrs P to suggest that my body was rejecting the very idea of American independence (it does). Then a wretched carry ferry ride across Lake Michigan during which Mrs P retired to the stateroom for the bulk of it and napped while I attempted to keep my two idiot children, who delight in vanishing to opposite ends of my peripheral vision, from flinging themselves bodily over the sides of the ship (and the SS Badger truly is a ship, at 6,000 tons displacement and 410 feet in length, the last coal-powered steamship on the Great Lakes), including a genuine moment of stark terror where Winston climbed almost over the railing to peer down over the side of the ship, causing me to bellow full-bore obscenities at him while simultaneously attempting to capture a rapidly escaping Grant as he scudded along the deck. Yes. I'm that parent on the ferry. Sorry. When we got home, there was a pointless fight over my losing one of Grant's crocs, then a further fight because I didn't seem to care (I didn't), and then a final fight when the croc was discovered, mainly, I gathered, because it hadn't really been lost and she'd had to get mad at me for nothing. 

Not a relaxing vacation, would not recommend. Telford will be better, or it will kill me, and I'll at least get to die in the country I always wanted to die in anyway.

Anyway, tonight I crept down into the grotto. masked and sprayed the rear turret:

IMG_20190708_224720

I should be getting more done, but I'm just exhausted these days. 

Always look on the bright side of life they say...

3 fights on a day, it's about CC's average !!

At least for these days !!

My luck, kids have now 15 and almost 18... I no longer need to keep a close wath on them !!

See you in Telford !! At least I hope to !!

CC

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

There were times when ours were young that I cheerfully pushed off to work worth a song in my heart & a spring in my step. I used to tell my colleagues I'd come back for a break. Hang in there Edward, it does get better.

Steve.

Right after the boys were born, I welcomed the end of paternity leave because I could at least sleep on the train and Mrs P would be unable to perform her famous disappearing act where she'd "just need to go to the bathroom", followed by the sound of the car starting. Starbucks has a bathroom too, I suppose.

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

I wouldn't dream of it! She got mad that I said "OK" when she told me I "lost" the shoes, so she told me again and got mad that I said I wouldn't lose them again. No winning.

7 hours ago, perdu said:

It comes to something when a cruise on The Great Lakes which might well be on several of our Bucket Lists becomes a voyage to Hell for one of our friends!

Not much to it, as it's only 80 miles or so, but the unusually heavy swells made me very sleepy from the motion of the ship.

9 hours ago, Fritag said:

Who wants or needs a 100,000m2 shopping centre?  

Why, people who can't afford a 258,000 square meter one! (I've never been.)

21 minutes ago, Kitsticker said:

Strewth PC after that, you need a holiday!

Don't I know it!

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

...just in case the swell hasn’t made you drowsy enough, a drop of Pusser’s should complete the transition to full sleep

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Haha 4

Hello chaps! 

The boys have received aggressive haircuts at the behest of Mrs P, who completed a transition from "don't touch my precious babies' golden locks" to "shave it all, leave not a hair standing" with impressive speed once the summer heat came on. 

IMG_20190711_105903

IMG_20190711_160037

(Grant, who's now old enough to yell "NO" and hit, is also now old enough to discover he doesn't much fancy time-out). 

The boys shipped off to Da Nang (or Michigan, I forget which) with their mother yesterday, so for a week, I have the run of the place. 

Yesterday was spent mostly prostrated at a garden party with my former coworkers in my old department, and it climbed to 102 F (39 C) in the sun and a scarcely more bearable 90 F / 32 C in the shade, and my favourite former coworker absorbed an immense amount of beer and sangria and turned a remarkable shade of fuchsia after hula hooping rather intensely for a while in the back garden and was last seen sitting on the grass, legs akimbo, staring into the middle distance. I told her she should keep hydrated -- having worked at physical labour in a forest preserve for my summer job as a teenager, I have immense respect for what the sun can do to someone -- and I don't envy her the morning I suspect she's possibly still having right now. In any case, it was time well spent, as my old boss's house has central air and Manse Procopius is, as they say, denuded of the amenities. By nightfall, when I returned home, it was a cool 84 F / 29 C back at the ranch. (I was also, and not for the first time, compared to Dwight from the American version of The Office, analogous to your Gareth, though if we're getting into who I'm really like, I'd say I'm closer to another Mackenzie Crook character, Andy from Detectorists.)

Anyway, today I'm taking it slow, waking up at the shockingly late hour of 8:30 in the morning, about three hours later than my lovely children permit me to sleep, and I've been working on the Lanc.

The engine fronts are all on and some filler applied:

IMG_20190714_123924

All the brass barrels are added and the top turret is started on:

IMG_20190714_124016

And the other two turrets are ready to go:

IMG_20190714_123953

• Like 19

One of the best, if not THE best home improvements I ever did was to have central air conditioning installed. It's been 26 years now and it's worked perfectly all this time. In the fall, after we no longer need it, I wrap the outside unit in a thick tarp, to protect it from ice/snow damage. Every couple years, I remove a panel from the side of the furnace and inspect/clean the small unit in there. Right now it's 28C outside but a comfy 21C in here, by my 'puter.

Chris

Just now, dogsbody said:

One of the best, if not THE best home improvements I ever did was to have central air conditioning installed. It's been 26 years now and it's worked perfectly all this time. In the fall, after we no longer need it, I wrap the outside unit in a thick tarp, to protect it from ice/snow damage. Every couple years, I remove a panel from the side of the furnace and inspect/clean the small unit in there. Right now it's 28C outside but a comfy 21C in here, by my 'puter.

Unfortunately, our home is heated by radiators, so installing air conditioning would be almost impossible, as the necessary trunking would all need to be installed. An unfortunate side effect of buying a home built in 1921.

• Sad 1

Just now, Procopius said:

Unfortunately, our home is heated by radiators, so installing air conditioning would be almost impossible, as the necessary trunking would all need to be installed. An unfortunate side effect of buying a home built in 1921.

Well crap on a cracker!

Chris

• Haha 2

Hello PC theres always ductless units ? They use them a lot in older home renovations. I used to watch a lot of "This old house" and HGTV Home shows. 

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productID=453076678&linkfrom=froogle&campaign=Blueridge_PLA&content=Blueridge&keyword=453076678&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouCwpZ-14wIVGJ7ACh3I3gN0EAQYAiABEgLB8vD_BwE

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Mr. P,

I just caught up with your situation. So very sorry....being one of two boys my Dad, Mom and Grandmother had to deal with I thoroughly understand what trouble you can be encountering having inflicted much of the same on my unknowing parents. Hang in there my friend. 

As for your AC situation in your older home I take it you do have window units...if not Mitsubishi and others make a really excellent no duct room wall mounted heating and air unit. The only thing you need is small tubing drain line from it to the outdoors. Several neighbors on our block converted their garages to rooms and use these units. They are very effective...and inexpensive...just a thought. 

Oh and the turret looks excellent!

Take care!

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A lie in and a day modelling… what more could a man want?

Oh, air conditioning, got it. I'm not sure Chris' suggestion with the cracker works though? :D 

Nice work PC - more Dad, more! (Just so you don't get used to only adult conversation…)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

The turrets look great, those brass gun barrels certainly make a difference.

The boys look very sleek as well, they'll thanks Mrs PC for it I'm sure!

It's a comfy 23 degrees here in Manchester UK & still they're moaning - no pleasing some people!

Pete

Pure heaven: no kids, no wife, and models!

The a/c is an extra but as others have said, stand alone units are excellent, especially if it's hot overnight. I lived in Florida with no a/c and old style slatted windows for a couple of years, not even a stand alone unit, and I that was VERY uncomfortable!

Not any more!!

Ian

• Like 1

Well, it was supposed to be pure heaven. Something called a "heat dome" descended upon most of the United States this last week, which meant it was permanently 104 F / 40 F with humidity ranging into the 50% area. I felt absolutely awful for most of it, including cold sweats at night, headaches no matter how much water I drank, and the general suspicion that I might be dying, and that death, at least, would be preferable to all of this.

Well, unbeknownst to me, I was in the process of dying! In a very roundabout, languorously-paced "I am a promising 19th-century poet and/or intellectual, cut down in my prime by a disease that had a genteel name in those days but doesn't now" kind of way: a mosquito bite I'd picked up at the garden party had become infected, and everything I attributed to the heat was my body trying (and failing miserably, thanks, body) to deal with what ultimately turned into a big old lump of cellulitis 80mm in diameter. Now, I had (eventually) noticed this immense red welt, and had sort of wondered, but it was by this point late on Saturday and I had to pick up Mrs P and clean the house the next day (not in that order), and Urgent Care is expensive, so I toughed it out and then googled things last night and had a pretty fraught night where I was certain I was dying of sepsis (or at least on the road to losing a leg, my most pleasingly-shaped part, to it) before making it to a "minute clinic" in a chemist's near work. I'm now the proud owner of antibiotics I have to take every four hours for the next ten days. 

On the plus side, this means the narrative isn't "my bloated carcase cannot handle the frightful heat of sweet summer", but rather "I was slowly grinding towards death but chose to ignore it and my high fever to keep going to work," which wait a minute, is pretty awful. At least I'dve died as I lived, ceaselessly complaining. 

Anyway, now I'm condemned to wretched life, such as it is, but at least we'll get to take Winston to the EAA Airventure Airshow on Friday (even if we have to miss the Spitfire display on Saturday), which hopefully he'll enjoy. And, and, annnnnnd, I got downstairs and worked on the Lancaster (and tried to watch Blake Edwards's disappointing 1988 film Sunset, which  squanders a great cast and premise on a wretched script).

Mid-upper turret half has the framing installed:

IMG_20190722_211443

All the Merlin intakes are on:

IMG_20190722_215033

MLG primed before getting some Alclad on the metal bits and then masking and then more black, I guess so I can do things in the most complicated and time-consuming way?

IMG_20190722_213627

I was rereading the old thread where @06/24 and I built a small shedload of Blenheims, and we've had some times together, haven't we, fellas? It reminded me of something Ced told me almost four years ago now, when I was last over, that I don't think I've really understood until now. Any misrecollection here I shall attribute to having had a pretty bad cold the whole time I was in England last, kept in check only by powerful medicines provided to me by the GP I was staying with, and my recent Brush With Death, but as I recall, Ced was telling me of the importance of finding one's tribe, and of spending time with "chaps", oh, I'm certain I'm getting it wrong now, but the gist of it is I think whatever connection we all have through this little message board is important and valuable. Now, will I still think that when you all take me out behind the building at Telford and take turns kicking me? Well.

• Like 11
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Now, will I still think that when you all take me out behind the building at Telford and take turns kicking me? Well.

Well it depends if by November my legs have recovered from the tribulations of the Perthshire hills inflicted last week, but really I have no such desire, I consider it an honour to be in the company of such chaps :D 

Your Lancaster is looking pure tasty too B) 

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It really does sound like you're going through the mill Edward! But as other senior friends have said, things will get better. Kids grow up, I have 2, 16 year old girl & 10 year old boy who couldn't be more different to each other if they tried. Daughter flew to Botswana yesterday on a 4 week trip organised through school and after months of planning, packing and fundraising, all with a confident 'don't need your help' attitude we got proper 'going to miss you so much' hugs & tears before she left. Parenting is tough and those jewels of reward come rarely so hang on to them when they do.

I'm not sure if I'm visiting Telford this year (still never been despite years planning to) but I wish you and the team well in your efforts to drain the local hosteleries of real ale & pusser's rum! 

Lovely work on the Lanc too.

All the best

Edge

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

...will I still think that when you all take me out behind the building at Telford and take turns kicking me?

I think you have to pay extra for that, old chap.

Good to have you back, weird lurgi and all.

• Haha 6

I have to agree with Crisp here Edmondo, with the state of my whinging, meandering legs if you want the additional kicking you will have to travel Premium Classe.

No arguments, Premium!

Sorry you had such a lousy time so far, we will try to make it better when you join us

Oh yes, that Lancaster is looking awesome

Top work kemosabe

• Haha 2

Ced was telling me of the importance of finding one's tribe, and of spending time with "chaps", oh, I'm certain I'm getting it wrong now, but the gist of it is I think whatever connection we all have through this little message board is important and valuable.

Spot on. Find your tribe and spend time with 'Proper Chaps' :D 

a big old lump of cellulitis 80mm in diameter.

WHAT! No photos? 

Now, will I still think that when you all take me out behind the building at Telford and take turns kicking me? Well.

No fear of that PC, we've got your back :) 

Get well soon.

• Like 4

In England there's no need to go around the back of the building, they'll just kick you in the street! Perfectly acceptable providing, as mentioned, that you've paid in advance. You do realise that a good kicking seriously reduces beer time, (especially if caught!) so the cost is pretty high!

See you in Nov!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3