Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

Some more nice work on the Lanc, PC! This reminds me that I need to return to my interminable builds of my Lancs/Manchester/Lincolns. Did you ever receive your Manchester set from Blackbird - I've received my Lincoln set (quite nice, actually)?

Regards,

Jason

13 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Some more nice work on the Lanc, PC! This reminds me that I need to return to my interminable builds of my Lancs/Manchester/Lincolns. Did you ever receive your Manchester set from Blackbird - I've received my Lincoln set (quite nice, actually)?

Regards,

Jason

I did! I then ordered their Lanc VI set,so hopefully it shows up soon.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I did! I then ordered their Lanc VI set,so hopefully it shows up soon.

Good! Glad to hear that. I look forward to your build on the Manchester (although you may be 'Lanced-out' after this build). I have a Lanc VI myself, not from Blackbird though, which I have in an advanced stage of building (it's in its pupal form, someday to emerge as a beautiful butterfly). Remember that it had spinners, and no four-bladed propellers (well one did experimentally on two of the engines...)!

Regards,

Jason

On 3/20/2019 at 7:17 AM, Procopius said:

It's gonna be rough, Perds. All those empty hours, sleeping in a bed without an eighteen-month-old bicycle kicking my head at two in the morning, eating whatever I want when I want it, no macaroni or watermelon to clean up off the kitchen floor...Terrible.

Good to hear you get a little time alone. I have 3 boys each 4 years apart (no planning there -- should've bought some lottery tickets too!) and my wife works in elementary education. So, last summer they spent an entire month with my in-laws. I only had to run the dishwasher once a week instead of twice a day. And laundry? Wow... it was amazing how much spare time I had. Oddly, I didn't work on any models despite planning to. Which is a shame.

So, yeah... Have fun! And Happy (late) birthday.

footnote: it occurred to me recently that the spacing of our boys resulted in dealing with diapers for 11 years with only a 6 month break in the middle.  Think about that for a second...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, opus999 said:

footnote: it occurred to me recently that the spacing of our boys resulted in dealing with diapers for 11 years with only a 6 month break in the middle.  Think about that for a second...

😬

• Haha 2

Today I watched episodes of Hunter ( a pretty bad 1980s cop show that ran for an inexplicably long time and starring former NFL player Fred Dryer) and masked the canopy, which was made slightly more interesting that one of the masking pieces in the Eduard set simply wasn't there straight out of the packet.

I had to use masking in fluid, in which I have absolutely no faith whatsoever, so we'll see how this one goes. 

IMG_20190324_132851

I also inherited some shelving and filing cabinets from my 86-year-old stepgrandfather, who's moving in with one of my aunts, so it was time to rejig the ol' grotto a little.

IMG_20190324_133116

IMG_20190324_133201

This really is a ludicrous accumulation of stuff. 

• Like 15
  • Haha 4

I have a similar stash, except mine are "tidied away" in the loft to keep the house presentable: so I'm told by my wife. Her multitude of cheap, tacky, vacuous 10p novels are all on display though. In every room.

Anyway, I'm going to build all mine. Just as soon as I stop buying new ones...

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

More storage - great, you can hide lots of things in there :whistle:

I’m not a fan of the liquid mask either, but needs must... I think if you put it on thicker, it comes off more easily?

Or you could use little bits of tape like Nigel does. 

• Like 3

Attempted the brass barrels today...success! Amazingly.

IMG_20190324_170015

I should really get some good gunmetal paint for the machineguns, all I have now is the very grainy Tamiya acrylic. Recommendations?

(Also, how do you like my tricked-out PIN VICE? Yes, I'm truly the center of attention for the ladies now, I customized an old Citadel/Games Workshop pin vice that's the nicest I've ever owned from an ergonomic perspective with the adjustable chuck from a cheapie one I bought off Amazon. Thinking of getting it chromed, some leather accents maybe.)

Also, because I felt like all of my progress this weekend has been minute, I added the upper wings. 

IMG_20190324_164735

IMG_20190324_164746

I know, I know, there's a cool trick that makes a lot of sense that would allow adding them later, and it will be cumbersome now, and so forth and so on, but by god it looks like I'm getting somewhere with this thing now.

• Like 18
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

I had to use masking in fluid, in which I have absolutely no faith whatsoever, so we'll see how this one goes. 

From personal experience do not leave it on too long as it will harden and be difficult to remove. must have absorbed the paint (enamel),  I have not left on for long with acrylic so it may not be so bad.

For Gunmetal, and do remember I'm of the hairy stick persuasion, I find Humbrol 53 in acrylic very acceptable. It also dry brushes well. Humbrol also do a Gunmetal in their Metalcote range. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

do not leave it on too long as it will harden and be difficult to remove.

Possible but i left some on a spitfire canopy in 2004.  Took a 10 year hiatus i came back to the hobby in 2014. I didn't touch the canopy until 2017 when i decided to work on the plane again. Good strong tape will peel it right off. I learned to use tape after a toothpick caused a repaint on an F-16D canopy. Its entirely possible it can go bad but my bottle is from 2001 and still good ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I tried gunmetal, but changed to black with a light drybrushing of silver (actually I think it's runefang steel).  Makes the detail really show.

• Like 2

Hey Edward

I'd paint them black and use a little ground up pencil lead and brush it over the barrels to give a nice, subtle metallic finish (that's what I intend to do with mine).

Lookin' good buddy

Iain

• Like 4

Cold blue/blacken the brass rather than paint them?

Edit. As I found out recently, cold blue works on brass about as well as brass blackening solutions do.  Chemistry above my paygrade!

Edited by Deve

23 hours ago, CedB said:

More storage - great, you can hide lots of things in there :whistle:

I’m not a fan of the liquid mask either, but needs must... I think if you put it on thicker, it comes off more easily?

Or you could use little bits of tape like Nigel does. 

Or spend less money on Hasegawa Eurofighters and use the loot to buy a craft cutter to do your own...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/24/2019 at 10:45 PM, Procopius said:

I should really get some good gunmetal paint for the machineguns, all I have now is the very grainy Tamiya acrylic. Recommendations?

Try this and you may be pleasantly surprised: paint the barrels black with any acrylic ( I use citadel chaos black, which adheres like its welded on and doesn't leave brush marks). Grate some HB pencil lead finely with a scalpel and  brush ye black painted guns in said graphite powder then polish with a cotton bud till they look like gunmetal.. Stand back and admire. Note how the powder that gets trapped in the details doesn't shine and is dark-instant wash effect!.

Now forget to wash hands and leave a gazillion fingerprints everywhere...also avoid answering questions like "have you seen my favorite handmade Japanese pencil?, The one my mother brought back from a Shinto shrine in Osaka".

• Haha 10

6 minutes ago, azureglo said:

paint the barrels black with any acrylic ( I use citadel chaos black, which adheres like its welded on and doesn't leave brush marks). Grate some HB pencil lead finely with a scalpel

Tamiya XF-85 rubber black is a very dark blue grey, maybe not so much use for Lanc jacket, but good for that blued metal finish on a lot guns (I used it on some figures),  graphite is good, but HB is medium,  pencil lead is a mix of graphite and china clay,  9H, very hard, lots of china clay, 6B, very soft, lots of graphite.

You can also get graphite sticks,  (handy as graphite is a lubricant)  but try rubbing it on sandpaper, instant graphite dust, and you can pick it up on a cut down paint brush to burnish on.

I also got to show the daughter in a electrics set I picked up the neat trick of getting a soft pencil, adding it to a circuit on the wood, no current, then touching clips to the lead, and  getting a circuit... 

Actually I wasn't sure it would work,  but was rather chuffed when it did....  

• Like 4

That’s looking good, Edward.

as for using bad language around the children, my 3 daughters who are all in their 20’s now, can all cuss and swear bad enough to make a Canadian sailor blush. I always blame their mother, an Albertan farmgirl.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Tamiya XF-85 rubber black is a very dark blue grey, maybe not so much use for Lanc jacket, but good for that blued metal finish on a lot guns (I used it on some figures),  graphite is good, but HB is medium,  pencil lead is a mix of graphite and china clay,  9H, very hard, lots of china clay, 6B, very soft, lots of graphite.

You can also get graphite sticks,  (handy as graphite is a lubricant)  but try rubbing it on sandpaper, instant graphite dust, and you can pick it up on a cut down paint brush to burnish on.

I also got to show the daughter in a electrics set I picked up the neat trick of getting a soft pencil, adding it to a circuit on the wood, no current, then touching clips to the lead, and  getting a circuit... 

Actually I wasn't sure it would work,  but was rather chuffed when it did....  

No need to especially  get  6B etc, I have all grades and the HB works fine and has the benefit that virtually anyone with kids has them lying around anyway as its the most commonly made pencil and you don't need to order anything new or weird,. Like wise for the acrylic black, most of us should have something like that already in our paint stores ( usually bought with our first kits to paint tyres, that we tried to once spray through a cheap Chinese airbrush and instead decorated the ceiling, the cat and touched up our own nasal hairs),

Bizarrely enough black sharpies work but you need to let them dry for 5 minutes.

14 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That’s looking good, Edward.

as for using bad language around the children, my 3 daughters who are all in their 20’s now, can all cuss and swear bad enough to make a Canadian sailor blush. I always blame their mother, an Albertan farmgirl.

Chris

You married a farmgirl called Albert? Damn that cold weather does funny thing things to you folk.

Anil

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Sorry for the radio silence, chaps, and little has been accomplished on the modelling front, but as of Monday at work I'm in a new department with a promotion (and a fairly substantial raise) as part of my employer's newly formed Digital Content Unit. This is big for us here at Manse Procopius, since, first of all, it means we don't face impending financial annihilation in the form of childcare costs that hitherto exceeded our ability to save for them, and secondly it means we might even be able to save for other things, like home renovations, or a new car, or possibly a new wife if Mrs P can't show a little more goddamn enthusiasm for the biggest news of the year so far. But I digress. Big day. My job will change a lot, and I'll be dealing with a lot more responsibility going forward. Scary days.

• Like 35