Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

9 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Oh, wow, that's some haul. Two FE.2bs?!

One was sort of by accident, but an accident I chose not to correct because I absolutely adore the FE.2b. 

"The techniques and tactics of the English were amazing, their main principle being that each machine should not look after itself but its partner. Each one therefore protected the other against any attack by their German opponents, and each pair tried to attack the same foeman...The Englishmen refused to be rushed, and their steadiness gave them an absolute superiority. Meanwhile our machines tried to break their formation by a series of advances and retreats, like dogs attacking a hedgehog. They pirouetted and spiralled, but their movements exposed them to more risks than their opponents, who appeared to be invulnerable and unassailable."

-- Hans Schroder, A German Airman Remembers

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Procopius said:

One was sort of by accident, but an accident I chose not to correct because I absolutely adore the FE.2b.

Once more reaffirming your general good taste and gentlemanly qualities. 

• Like 3

What a great haul, very impressive!

I must admit the one that caught my eye was the Matchbox Siskin, mainly because I only do 1:72, but also it's not seen built often.....hint hint...

Ian

• Like 4

Just now, limeypilot said:

What a great haul, very impressive!

I must admit the one that caught my eye was the Matchbox Siskin, mainly because I only do 1:72, but also it's not seen built often.....hint hint...

Ian

I'm hoping to do it soon, but don't get too excited, as I plan on building every kit I buy next. The decals are in pretty rough shape, and I'm not sure I have any aftermarket for it...possibly in the large 3 Squadron History set I have, if they used the Siskin.

• Like 2

Yes sure the paddy’s day stuff isn’t yours.... but please tell me the catapult is?! Looks like a great haul, even with the two hunters, you must be getting low on them in the stash? How many left? 6-7? 😃

Rob

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Yes sure the paddy’s day stuff isn’t yours.... but please tell me the catapult is?!

It absolutely is, and on stressful days, it sends all manner of objects sailing over the divider.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Hi Edward, hope you’ve been having a good day.  That’s an excellent haul there. The Sunderland has one of my favourite box-art paintings.  Oddly, I suppose, despite being Irish born and bred I’ve never really celebrated St Patrick’s Day myself.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Procopius said:

Well, I headed down to the mailroom today, and happy birthday to me:

indeed, and happy birthday from me...

oddly enough I just acquired and Airfix lanc, mostly  built, badly, from the school jumble sale, Not sure what can be done with the Lanc,  if nothing else it might make a good paint mule, and it has unused decals and canopies, props etc.

But also got a few other Airfix kits,  (4 stroke engine, Gladiator and Seaking gift sets as new ) for helping set up the sale this afternoon :)    I'll undoubtedly spend most if saturday afternoon there are well helping out, and the daughter can re-enact Lord of the Flies or something similar  somewhere in the building or grounds  as well...  better than Netflix... :whistle:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

What a wonderful error to make.  Speaking as someone who also has a great love for the FE.2b

Happy birthday to you too.  That should see you through to the next one!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Putty Animal said:

What a wonderful error to make.  Speaking as someone who also has a great love for the FE.2b

It seems a much-loved type, and I suspect only the rather Baroque rigging required to make a model of one has prevented it from being more kitted. 

6 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Oddly, I suppose, despite being Irish born and bred I’ve never really celebrated St Patrick’s Day myself.

My great-grandfather on my father's side was from Swinford in Mayo (and I still have  relatives there today, though the spelling of our shared last name has diverged), and my maternal something-or-other originated from Fermanagh. I can't say it's a heritage I've ever felt much connection to, aside from generally considering the sound of bagpipes to be music rather than confusing noises.

I made it downstairs tonight and got a tiny bit of work done. Some sanding:

IMG_20190315_235424

And the addition of one of the bomb bay doors, which was badly warped:

IMG_20190315_235410

5 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

Now, drink!

A tot has been issued to the men.

IMG_20190315_235709

Strewth this stuff is strong!

• Like 17
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

...from Swinford in Mayo (and I still have relatives there today, though the spelling of our shared last name has diverged),

Yes, I imagine the O’Pius name is a rare one.  And what is the origin of this unusual first name, “Proc”?  Is it perhaps Gaelic?

I too am enthused by the thought of a Procopian Siskin!  

And when someone mentioned a catapult I envisaged some inter-war naval contraption.  [I have recently acquired a rather spendid metal and resin 1/48 catapult kit; it is designed for the splendid Airfix Walrus, but I am toying with the idea of modifying it a little to fit a Tamiya Swordfish-with-floats].  Alas, they were eyeing a mere ballista...

Happy Birthday, young man!

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

Question for RN people.  I notice that Pusser’s Rum is labelled Gunpowder Proof.  Does that mean that it is proof spirit strength and that gunpowder wetted with it will still burn?

Edward, whatever about putting hairs on your chest, I hope the rum sees off the lurgy.

Edited by JosephLalor

1 hour ago, JosephLalor said:

Question for RN people.  I notice that Pusser’s Rum is labelled Gunpowder Proof.  Does that mean that it is proof spirit strength and that gunpowder wetted with it will still burn?

I believe it would need to be 114 proof to do that, and this falls just short. The remaining "black tot" RN rum (which goes for £1000 a bottle) is also only 108 proof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday from me too. And I must say excellent choice of birthday goodies. Particularly the FE.2b (a favourite of mine too), but two Hunter F9s and a Siskin. Wot's not to like!

• Thanks 1

When my Dad was in the RCN during WW2, their tot was straight, undiluted, about 75% proof Jamaician rum. Same for my older brother when he was in during the 60's.

Chris

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

When my Dad was in the RCN during WW2, their tot was straight, undiluted, about 75% proof Jamaician rum. Same for my older brother when he was in during the 60's.

What ships?

Hi There,

My Dad used to tell me that during the War, despite the fact that they weren't supposed to, they used to save their ration when the boat was submerged and drink it when surfaced as it stopped it tasting like cabbage water. There was also a story about one Hogmanay coming in from Scapa, no shore leave and the ethyl alcohol from torpedoes but that's better left. I think that Wood's Old Navy is still proper strength and it certainly gives you some nice central heating.

Sorry to derail things.

Cheers,

Alistair

Edited by AliGauld
Spelling Error
  • Like 3