Burn Down Their Hanging Trees (1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.III)

Hello Mr PC !!

Glad that you turn your attention to the Phantom !!

Here's the John build !!

If you go on my "Phantom build" I've some pics of the actual aircraft !

Wich time in the "Phantom"s life are you depicting ??

Thanks for your great staert as usual

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That photo of the rear turret is very sobering; I think this every time I see one close up.  Just how terrifying must it have been to sit in there, totally freezing, for hours at a time, knowing that your chances of getting out in the event of major problems were significantly lower than your mates’ (& let’s face it, theirs weren’t high)?  Oh, and your survival might depend on how alert you could remain.  And then you had to go and do it again a night or two later.

Most of the guys who flew in those beasts were little more than kids.  But they deserve every ounce of respect we can give them.   

Sobering indeed. This, on the tail  of a Stirling, is what happened to quite a few of them...

Srirling-rear-turret.png

• Like 4
  • Sad 7

search for 550 Association on the website   very interesting photos and information. Enjoying the build

Edited by T-21

8 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

That photo of the rear turret is very sobering; I think this every time I see one close up.  Just how terrifying must it have been to sit in there, totally freezing, for hours at a time, knowing that your chances of getting out in the event of major problems were significantly lower than your mates’ (& let’s face it, theirs weren’t high)?  Oh, and your survival might depend on how alert you could remain.  And then you had to go and do it again a night or two later.

Most of the guys who flew in those beasts were little more than kids.  But they deserve every ounce of respect we can give them.   

I agree

I love(d) my dad, goes without saying or should, and I grew up in the fifties hearing tales of a harrowing war

Which sounded exciting to me, the kid naturally

Tales of life as an armourer on a Gladiator squadron visiting Norway in the early days
And watching the ship with HIS Gladiators on being sunk on the return voyage, some of the squadron were on a different ship to Glorious...

Being an armourer at Hawkinge and being strafed with annoying frequency and epic escapes from tumbling bombs with his mate*

Assisting armourers unfamiliar with interrupter gear avoid blasting propellors off early Mustangs

Falling off the wing of a Stirling on a freezing day before bombing up, whilst breaking ice off and bones (for fun?)

Being cook and tea and coffee ( I think it was actually cocoa) maker on Sunderlands and Catalinas out of Pembroke Dock as well as reloading the weapons racks as they were emptied, from the winch station inside

But he would never talk about the only souvenir he brought out of his service except his row of decorations, his AG Brevet

Says a lot to me from my seventy plus years of life

Really brave men

* One of his mates from service was a Joe, Mr Piano Henderson who he was with on a squadron . He loved boring us kids with that factoid   :)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

A very interesting read young Procopius,one will watch your work on this magnificent aeroplane.

And as to very brave very young men,a gent I knew some years ago had an Uncle whom had been an engine Fitter on 5 Group Lanc's.

His Uncle's best mate was a rear gunner on a Lanc that had been attacked by a night fighter.

The pilot had exercised great skill in bringing the damaged aircraft back to base and all survived the operation with the exception of the

poor rear gunner,he'd been killed in the initial attack.

The gent reckoned that his Uncle had said that the turret was like a sieve,I don't think he mentioned the remains of the poor gunner.

On another point,wasn't Jack Currie one of the main driving forces for getting PA474 back into the air in the 1970's????

Edited by DaveWilko
  • Like 2

Looking good Mr. P.

I have a suggestion for the dorsal windows. I used 1/4" clear acrylic rod  inserted\glued into a matching hole then sanded and polished. 

Rb9by08.jpg

Did a similar thing for the wing tip lights.

1YqibCs.jpg

All the Best!

Don

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thought provoking intro once again Edward, I wish you all the best with this. I see @corsaircorp has posted my build along with a few other choice picks. 🤩 The help I got from @isaneng was second to none and I really miss our to and fro-big during that build. ‘‘Twas a real pleasure. As one who bought both the resin and brass guns I can sing the praises of the brass all day long, well worth the investment in my opinion. I was building PA474 as dressed when @isaneng first flew in her hence my back office but I’m sure with the help of the BM hive mind you’ll come up good.

all the best and I’ll tag along for the ride if that’s ok.

Johnny.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 5:52 PM, DJJunis said:

I have a suggestion for the dorsal windows. I used 1/4" clear acrylic rod  inserted\glued into a matching hole then sanded and polished. 

Brilliant! Thanks, Don! 

Well hello all, sorry for the long radio silence. With the return of Mrs P, The Weebs, and Grant The Devourer, I found myself a bit busy all last week, especially as The Great Devourer had turned seventeen months, and after much begging with her superiors, Mrs P and were able to start the doughty little fellow at Montessori school a month early, where his easy-going, tranquil disposition, total commitment to snack time, and pleasingly gormless expression have all served him well. Since Mrs P is a teacher at a private school run by lunatics, she obviously couldn't take time off to shuttle the little fellow there and back during his first week, so I had to take three days off from work during a critical period while we were acquiring new software directly related to my work and take care of this. 

IMG_20190225_183803

The keen-eyed among you will have noted he's carrying a knife. It's a Montessori thing, and he loves that knife. He uses it to cut bananas. I tried giving him cut bananas with peanut butter on them, but he outfoxed me and suctioned all the peanut butter off, then left a trail of clean-if-slightly-moister-than-one-might-like-to-touch banana through the house.

Anyway, I love my children, the little burdens, but spending three consecutive days with them leaves one feeling not unlike a filthy dishrag that's been roughly wrung out over a rusting outdoor basin in December. Over the weekend, I quite literally attempted ten times to start to read a book (John James' social history of the RAF in the interwar period, The Paladins), but was interrupted by children each time, frequently by Grant falling off of things, which, after eating, is insofar as I can determine, his sole pastime. Additionally, I'm on a diet (and've lost 1 stone four pounds so far) because I realized that I'd hit that level of fatness where a long-distance flight in November might be even more uncomfortable than the airlines already make it (and my flight over is BA-flagged but is in reality an AA flight, and with AA, the only thing stopping them from just putting you in those little cages the Viet Cong always seem to lug around for Rambo-storage purposes is that the cages are way bigger than their seats), and so I've gotten back to running four times a week (at a pathetic 7.5 MPH for four miles each time) and abstaining from candy, which was probably about 75% of my caloric intake until quite recently. As a result, I'm tired. Tired and hangry. Twenty-two more pounds to my goal weight. Matters weren't helped this weekend when Mrs P decided to distract Winston from his pastime of exerting strong entropic force upon his surroundings by having him bake cookies with her, which he loves, and well he should, because Mrs P makes excellent cookies. 

IMG_20190224_141230

In the background you can see the small oranges I now eat as a snack. Each one has forty calories and doesn't really fill the emptiness inside.

Anyway, some mojo was restored this weekend when I took Winnie down to the grotto and messed about with the fuselage halves to try and convince them to fit -- the Airfix Lancaster is probably the best kit of the type out there, but it cruelly requires extreme precision in fitting and also seems to have a warped fuselage halve in every kit of it I own -- and then he went upstairs and played with Legos with a quiet intensity I never otherwise see in him. After a rough Saturday when they put on a dog-and-pony show for the Father's Visit (and you know it's a school for rich people's kids -- ours go free, we could never afford it -- when at 35 I'm the youngest dad in the room, younger by twenty years in several cases) and poor Winnie got yelled at by the teacher and I overheard a little girl say "that's Winston, he's kind of naughty all the time" ("well," Mrs P --who I hasten to remind you has a Masters Degree in Early Childhood Education -- said to me when I, mortified, relayed this to her, "that little girl sounds like a bitch", before correcting herself and using a word that I'm pretty sure we can't use here at all), all of my own memories of my poorly-behaved and disruptive childhood came flooding back, and I was feeling like I'd failed this poor kid on a genetic level, but at least he can focus on what matters to him. It sounds melodramatic, but that pretty much saved my life during the rough years when I lived in a condemned apartment and had to carefully buy my $25 worth of books from Amazon for the free delivery once a month (and I had to be careful, because I read fast, or did in those days, and I didn't want to run out of book before the next time I had money), because I could ignore everything intolerable and live, at least for a time, inside my own head. And maybe that will be enough.

Sorry, got boring there. On to the model!

I tried detaching the little PE mount for the throttles and CSU controls to attach the levers, but this is really small, and my glasses are at an advanced state of decrepitude where they'll fall abruptly off my nose if attitude drops much below 0 degrees.

IMG_20190224_114416

You're supposed to fold each piece so that it forms two levers and insert them from the rear (heh), but I quickly found that this not only failed to spark joy, it was also about as easy as sifting through individual atoms with the naked eye, and the ever present danger of a single sharp exhalation sending the whole assembly off into the ether at tens of thousands of miles per hour weighed heavily on me, and my vision began to blur from the effort of holding my breath.

After pushing the English language to the very limit of its frontiers doing this, I decided that (a) I would just cut each set of levers in half and attach them ex post facto, and b (which I can't notate parenthetically due to a stupid default board setting), that I'd only do the throttles, because who's going to look for the CSU controllers anyway? I'll bash their heads in as they lean over to check, problem solved, time saved.

IMG_20190224_115557

Then, after much clamping, I attached the floor to the more recalcitrant of the fuselage halves:

IMG_20190224_121603

And managed to get the inescapable gluey thumbprint (since erased with Mr Surfacer and even -- gasp! -- rescribed, a new one for me), plus hewed a huge divot out of the side while scraping out a mounting point:

IMG_20190224_121622

Grrrr.

I first went too far forward with the green flooring, and then too far back with the black, but I'm hopeful they even out:

IMG_20190225_212924

IMG_20190225_212936

I also assembled some of the PE boxes for gadgets:

IMG_20190225_212943

Phantom of the Ruhr doesn't seem to have had H2S fitted ever, but would she have carried MONICA in 1943? As I understand it, it had been introduced the prior year and wasn't removed until after the Ju88 night fighter was captured in 1944. Incidentally, does anyone know if there's a good treatment of that incident anywhere out there? I've read in some sources the crew got lost, but in others that they planned on defecting and even overpowered one of their number. I'd love to know more. 

I'm also a little vague on what all of the black boxes do; I'm not sure what would be the H2S display unit (which would need to be omitted for this build, obviously) or which would be for MONICA.

Anyhow, after much fettling, the fuselage seems to close reasonably nicely on a test fit:

IMG_20190225_213102

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I came home to find a parcel from Hannants on the stoop, and after a brief moment of panic where I wondered if I'd somehow purchased something in a fugue state and been foolish enough to send it to the house instead of work, I ascertained it was an early birthday gift from Stew. Thanks, Stew!

IMG_20190225_213125

IMG_20190225_213213

• Like 28

PC,

There's a book about that Ju88 defection.  I can't give you the details as I just had a brief look at it in a second hand bookshop a couple of years ago.  Unfortunately it was during one of those " you've got enough books" periods, but at least you now know its worth looking into!

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

Tired and hangry.

Yup, & a new word for me to boot, brilliant, I so feel like that sometimes.

Sorry, got boring there. On to the model!

No, not boring, I hope you could feel my empathy reaching out to you, both the kids thing, mine almost grown up now & they're neat & child hood, mine was hugely better balanced that yours by the sound of it but I schooled with kids who weren't so fortunate & it did wonders for my sense of self & how I fitted with others. Nowadays, I only mainly get annoyed with self entitled prats & pratesses, hell, but there's a lot of them, I barely find time to calm down. ;) :D

I'll bash their heads in as they lean over to check, problem solved, time saved.

Absolutely, like I'll cut the fingers off anyone who approaches my models with calipers.

Take care,

Steve.

PS Thanks for the book recommendation, I think I'd find that interesting.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The Ju-88 that defected still survives with the RAF Museum. I think it has been banished to Cosford from Hendon , with the re-organization of the RAF Museum.

The RAF Museum has a good bit of information on the JU-88 here, https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/78-AF-953-Junkers-Ju88-R1.pdf    

The book about the defection is " The Great Coup" by Robert Hall. I don't personally have a copy in my library, but it does appear that there area number of copies available on AbeBooks  https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=robert+Hill&tn=the+great+coup+&kn=&isbn=

I can see a copy heading for a Chicago suburb shortly.

I have recently built this kit as well. My fuselage was as equally , if not warped more than yours. Your next adventure will be fitting the wings around the spar assembly. The tolerances are very tight and requires some adjustment to get a good fit.

Mark

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mrp said:

Right you are. Ordered and thank you! 

12 minutes ago, mrp said:

I have recently built this kit as well. My fuselage was as equally , if not warped more than yours. Your next adventure will be fitting the wings around the spar assembly. The tolerances are very tight and requires some adjustment to get a good fit.

9 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My Lanc II has a slightly warped fuselage, too.

Yes, I think it's one of those design "features", like the Pinto's impact-absorbing fuel tank (which shielded the occupants from crashes with a cushioning wall of flame) that we sometimes see in the sophisticated, fast-paced world we live in. I have vague memories of all of the filling I had to do on the kit fuselage the last time, but none of the wing assembly, which may mean it went well, or (more likely) that my subconscious has chosen to protect me by denying me any recollection of the horrific events that transpired. 

• Like 6

Welcome back and happy birthday in advance. The etchwork looks nice given it requires one to work at subatomic matter scale. Ah the warpey fuselage, that brings back memories of my Lanc build. And as the others have noted, fitting the wings around the wing spar is an exceedingly tight fit, but it is a good fit pending a little sanding and fettling. I am aware that you've built and Airfix Lanc before, so apologies for boring repetition if you haven't forgotten these things.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mrp said:

The Ju-88 that defected still survives with the RAF Museum. I think it has been banished to Cosford from Hendon , with the re-organization of the RAF Museum.

The RAF Museum has a good bit of information on the JU-88 here, https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/78-AF-953-Junkers-Ju88-R1.pdf    

The book about the defection is " The Great Coup" by Robert Hall. I don't personally have a copy in my library, but it does appear that there area number of copies available on AbeBooks  https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&an=robert+Hill&tn=the+great+coup+&kn=&isbn=

Indeed it does and yes,it is at RAF Cosford.

You'll enjoy the book young sir,a good read.

IIRC,two of the aircraft's three crew were in on the defection(Pilot and F.E)but not the W/op.