Badger 150 problems

19paulos67

Hello all,

New to the site, however been viewing for a long time. Always found the site to be very informative and inspiring. I usually find an answer to any issue I have had when it comes to modelling. 

Not this time though! 

I have a badger 150 with a diaphragm compressor, never had trouble with producing pencil thick lines with the fine needle until now. I was doing some detail camo work and noticed that the paint was stopping with constant finger pressure and pull back, never had this issue before in-order to get a fine line I have to keep varying the trigger back and forwards. I read somewhere that this might be a needle bearing issue so I purchased the kit from barwell and replaced the bearing still getting the same problems purchased a new fine needle and head still the same, I have tried the medium and heavy nozzle and needle and still the same issues when using the airbrush as a single action airbrush using the adjuster screw. I am not sure now whether it could be the compressor however I don’t really feel any pulsating from the compressor. I know this maybe a long shot posting this as I guess most modellers are using better Airbrushes now. Don’t really want to purchase a new compressor or airbrush if I don’t need to. Any ideas?

second question if I was to purchase another airbrush could I expect to get the same results out of a Iwata new or something of a similar price?

Daft question, but is anything different with the paint, thinner, thinning ratio or the ambient temperature?

I've been a Badger user for decades too and have experienced this. A quick burst of paint on high flow has always cleared it out, but usually it's been because the paint has been slightly too thick.

Hi Jamie,

thanks for the reply.

No, I use the same paints I use Tamiya and their thinner and always been able to get fine lines without messing with 5he trigger like I’m having to do now which is a real pain as you just don’t get a constant fine line. I have blown paint through on higher pressure I usually paint at about 18 psi rarely lower than 12 and never above 20. Colder in the shed now though bought the paints indoors at room temperature thought that maybe the issue.

Cold temperature tends to make paint thicker. That's why I add a bit more thinner in the cold weather.

I'm not used to Badger's mechanics, but I remember reading other topics and sometimes the air hose inside the airbrush gets clogged, maybe that's also an issue.

Oops, my mistake. I just realized I said something stupid. I was thinking of the Aztek airbrushes for some reason, sorry.

With intermittent paint flow it's most likely a paint mix issue (or dirty nozzle, but you changed that already so we'll rule that out). Try a drop of retarder and just a bit more thinner. See if that fixes it.