AZ Model, 1/72nd scale Israeli Vultee BT-13 Valiant, 1948...

John Masters

Here are some first looks...two sprue of well-moulded plastic, no flash and a clear sprue with the canopy and landing lights.  Looks nice.

47068473942_9494d6b93d_b_d.jpg

And something one doesn't often see with an AZ kit...resin and PE.  Both looking good and the PE will enhance the detail on the landing flaps for the wings.

47120805661_50b26c0ee6_z_d.jpg

And here's some fun!  Ordinarily I wold have gravitated towards the Chinese variant, but I need to bulk up my Early Israeli Air Force shelf so it will the Israeli bird.  Plus, but the French and Chinese aircraft are NMF.  I am looking forward to the camouflage with my new Israeli paint set and trying to show some wear and tear on this aircraft.  I'll look up some images but I get a feeling that in 1948 this was another surplus craft supplied by pro-Israeli patrons.  Even with the brown/green paint job there will be some wear and tear.  But was it brown and green?  Brown and blue maybe?  Any thoughts?

46397239654_650e5ea59c_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

There looks to be an interesting variety of schemes for this one if that decal sheet and your description is anything to go by John. If everything fits together well it'll make for a good kit with all the detail included.

Here's a bit to start off with.  I have actually followed the instructions and done all of this stuff first.  I guess I would gone in this direction anyway, but it seems as if I have used almost all the PE at this point and half of the resin (engine and cowling).  In any case,  I chose the green for the interior and gave it a black wash.  I did some research on the cockpit interiors of USAAF aircraft, of which this was one.  Unlike the RLM structure of the Germans, the US was far more random and paint colours and tones varied greatly.  So green it was.

Once it dries thoroughly I will add some colour here and there as prescribed and a dry-brush of aluminum, assemble the classroom cockpit and close up the fuselage.  

46224273285_f2d68de57e_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Thanks Col.  I closed up the fuselage last night and attached the lower half of the wing.  It required just a little bit of sanding and shaping to get a tight fit.  I also drilled out the mounting holes for the stabilizers.  

47153613381_3c2340b210_b_d.jpg

The forward section of the wing needed just a touch of sanding to get a good fit.  I chose to adjust that part and leave the rear area untouched because the washout was so well moulded.  Not much of a gap to fill which makes me happy!

32211576857_aeb622e210_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

The top sides of the wings went on very neatly with only a very thin gap needing putty.  I'll attach the stabilizers today.  I also did some test fitting on the canopy and had to remake the little curved bit that covers the rear control panel.  The kit-supplied piece was preventing the canopy from fitting.  I will mask the canopy and attach it today as well.

The three resin pieces that made up the inner braces were persnickety and in retrospect I would have scratch-built them from Evergreen but they went in with enough glue...

It's rainy day here, so indoor fun is allowed!

33307784358_e3e8ccd21f_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 2

Ok...wings on, stabilizers on, canopy masked and attached.  I'm ready for the primer.  I have invested in some Mr. Surfacer primer and will using this product for the first time, so any tips?

Someday I will be able to make cleaner, more even masks, but not today.  

33334189918_ff8ae137ce_b_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5

Ha!  I cut the masks too soon...Hannants has masks for this kit and I have just ordered a set.  I will put this kit aside for a week for so until the post delivers, then re-mask.  Meanwhile, I will have to start something else!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes!  I just mentioned elsewhere...the masked have finally arrived for the canopy so I will apply those this evening.  Much better than my ham-fisted attempts at cutting bits of tape!  So I'll get back into this one...

Thanks for asking!

10 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Promise!  I'll get back to this...

Aye :whip:  just whenever you're ready :poke: no pressure :whistle:

Not really Col.  About 20 minutes maybe.  In any case, the PE flap hinges are on.  there are a few small PE pieces that attach to the rudder as well, but I will add them at the very end since they will have a decal beneath them.

46733804434_3ef285ff93_z_d.jpg

Engine, cowling, carburetor intakes and exhaust manifold attached...the aircraft has been primed.  That cowling looks odd...a trick of the light.  It's quite even all around.

47456825541_27ccdfdc44_z_d.jpg

Underside...

46733804304_d0dc6ba99c_z_d.jpg

I'll get the wheels painted and go for the first round of paint,  maybe tonight.

--John

• Like 7

The first round of painting...I am using the Hataka Acrylic (red) paint set for the Israeli Air Force 1948/67 (Early Period)  This is the 'Silk Grey' on the underside.  For the camo upper surfaces I will be using the Medium Brown and Grey-Blue.  Even though the AZ Model box calls for 'Sand' and 'Dark Green'...The paint worked well through the airbrush.  Before I did that I highlighted some areas with aluminum where there would be some wear and tear of paint and touched it up with some chipping fluid.  I'll paint the entire aircraft before I start flaking the stuff off.

For now...mask on...

32527783727_e8ca0fb045_z_d.jpg

and mask off...

33592989188_b261a6f75e_z_d.jpg

I'll re-mask and add the brown later today...

--John

• Like 4