Tom MacLean

Hello,

Looking for a few tips on how to make the AK Air Series acrylic paints more reliable in the air brush. I'm using a Harder & Steenbeck and have tried various pressure settings and thinners(except the AK-712 because it's out of stock) such as X-20A. So I was wondering if others have tried these and the results they are getting? They are "suppose" to be ready-mixed of course.... lol 

Thanks

Hi,

Some people seem to be happy with AK air paints but myself never got the hang of it. I have tried several thinners, AK thinner, Tamiya X-20A, but never really managed to avoid the paint drying on the tip of my airbrush. I found AK air paints ok for 

general covering, but not for fine work. I went back to my trusty Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya acrylic paints.

best,

Christian.

1 hour ago, cger said:

Hi,

Some people seem to be happy with AK air paints but myself never got the hang of it. I have tried several thinners, AK thinner, Tamiya X-20A, but never really managed to avoid the paint drying on the tip of my airbrush. I found AK air paints ok for 

general covering, but not for fine work. I went back to my trusty Gunze Aqueous and Tamiya acrylic paints.

best,

Christian.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening, luckily I  only bought a few to test with. I might try some airbrush medium to see if this helps.

Yeah done a few builds with AK air paints. A bit hit and miss. Some colours seem off in shade and/or blotchy. 

Used UMP thinners if I remember correctly. About 20% of it so not heavily thinned. Can never really stop the tip dry with these type. 

Here is one of my better builds RFI with ak air. There is a link in there to its WIP (only 4 pages) which may have some more tips on working with it. As I remember it was winter and cold in the garage when spraying this so that may have helped slow the tip dry. 

Tony