Anigrand's Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer 1/72

hsr

This is my rendition of Anigrand's 1/72 the Douglas F5D-1 Skylancer. The Skylancer was an improved F4D Skyray, similar to the F-106 being an improved F-102, but unlike the F-102 the F5D's came out while the F8U and F-4  where already under development so its timing was bad and it never went into production. This is typical to my experience with Anigrand kits; nice casting with a few pin holes, slightly undersized and slightly warped fuselage halves. It came with a nice looking ejection seat, but I used the CMK F4D interior. The decals were a mix of the kit ones for the aircraft specific markings, with national and Navy markings from other sheet. On the whole it was a pleasant build that took a total of 15 days.

SOwyh5by_o.jpg

vuIQTtL0_o.jpg

7Q5IfCYQ_o.jpg

2PRqWJI9_o.jpg

L9908c5b_o.jpg

uiNHhtuZ_o.jpg

aPFsG24V_o.jpg

Here it is with an F4d-1 for comparison

onAdTLDR_o.jpg

Next up is the Hasegawa SP-5B Marlin

Enjoy

• Like 20

I got that book, plus the Ginter book on just the F5D. The NACA/NASA color scheme is a lot more colorful. This scheme is kind of dull with a lot less red

• 1 month later...

It looks like the Skylancer got wery straight lines compared to the Skyray. Is there any "Coca cola bottle shape" at all?

It would be interesting to put up an Swedish J-35 Draken beside the F5D-1 Skylancer for a comparison...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Thanks 1

Interesting subject well executed, I think I have never heard about it. Next to Skyray looks a bit like a 2d (flat fuselage) silhouette model :) 

Regards

J-W 

• Thanks 1

It was basically a Skyray with cleaned up aerodynamics which gave it significantly better performance. Sort of like the F-106 is a cleaned up F-102.