Chasing F-16XL-1

Old Viper Tester

My first safety chase mission for the F-16XL program, 22 July 1982. We were in an F-4. XL-1 was doing basic performance and propulsion test points. Some of my images are oddly framed or cropped, but my agreement with all of the pilots I flew with was that my photography was on a non-interference basis with the missions. Tracking test points, keeping tabs on the test aircraft and watching for potential conflicting traffic were my duties so my "little camera (Canon A1) better not get in the way".

75-0749 f-16xlctf 19820722 22cr1

Notice the "angle iron" brackets holding the aft AIM-120 missile shapes in place. The forward shapes had bolts running through the missile bodies themselves  to fasten them to the airframe.

75-0749 f-16xlctf 19820723 30cr1

75-0749 f-16xlctf 19820723 38cr1

75-0749 f-16xlctf 19820723 31cr2

I'll post more as I clean my slides and get them scanned. Thanks for looking,

Sven

• Like 13
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for sharing, Sven! Your photos will be very useful when I start building my XL model. I have the Skunkmodels XL-1 kit, and my plan was to convert it it to an XL-2 (crosskitting a Kinetic F-16B) - until I got the news at Telford last November that they will do a kit of the XL-2 as well. My model will of course be in the "striped" scheme.

Nils

18 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Thanks for sharing, Sven! Your photos will be very useful when I start building my XL model. I have the Skunkmodels XL-1 kit, and my plan was to convert it it to an XL-2 (crosskitting a Kinetic F-16B) - until I got the news at Telford last November that they will do a kit of the XL-2 as well. My model will of course be in the "striped" scheme.

Nils

Guess who started the conversion before the news were announced... :D

Jens

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, Old Viper Tester said:

Notice the "angle iron" brackets holding the aft AIM-120 missile shapes in place. The forward shapes had bolts running through the missile bodies themselves  to fasten them to the airframe.

Misinformation for Russians? 😲What would they think it was combat AIM-120 missile? 😁😁

On 2/16/2019 at 8:18 PM, Old Viper Tester said:

I'll post more as I clean my slides and get them scanned. 

Look forward to!

B.R.

Serge