1/72 Italeri Panzer IV +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

Whilst rummaging through dozens of little grippy seal bags for 'add ons' to my Armourfast G's - I found a present that @badger sent me about 18 months ago...

ITIV001.jpg

It's another 'quick build' kit - designed primarily for 'wargamers' - but as I had a closer look at it - the detail is really nice.  Anyway - as it was just in a bag and Ben had already taken the parts off the sprues I set to work on it this morning and before I knew where I was I had made a cracking start...

ITIV002.jpg

As you can see I hollowed out the barrel and got the gun on the turret...

ITIV003.jpg

The hatch and basket come as one piece and I'll pop them on later...

The top section of the hull has pre-moulded tools - but they look quite nice.  I stuck the rear panel in place and the frontal panel with the machine gun and vision port.

ITIV004.jpg

The tracks are very lacking in detail - but the sprocket / idler / road wheels and attached suspension are really quite nice...

ITIV005.jpg

ITIV006.jpg

Why am I starting another one you may ask...  Well if I can't finish five - I may as well not finish six.

But seriously...  I do think I'll get them all over the finish line - we still have four weeks left after all.

• Like 2

Great More mini scale madness👍👍 , got to be honest I'm enjoying this brail scale modelling, in fact to such an extent the  I'm researching kits  for the upcoming tiger gb, any thoughts on the  72nd dragon King tiger, henschel turret kit, no zimmerit, I'm thinking ardennes, 

Glynn

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Great More mini scale madness👍👍 , got to be honest I'm enjoying this brail scale modelling, in fact to such an extent the  I'm researching kits  for the upcoming tiger gb, any thoughts on the  72nd dragon King tiger, henschel turret kit, no zimmerit, I'm thinking ardennes, 

Glynn

I bought a couple of Revell King Tigers on @badger recommendation - Henschel turret style.  I've had a peep in one of the boxes and they look pretty good - but I've got to get all these finished first :doh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BIG X said:

I bought a couple of Revell King Tigers on @badger recommendation - Henschel turret style.  I've had a peep in one of the boxes and they look pretty good - but I've got to get all these finished first :doh:

They're nice kits. Perhaps not quite as nice as the Dragon ones but cheaper and obtainable.

I've got a couple and they build up nicely.

Great to see this one join the panzer parade - for a quickbuild kit it didn't look too bad. The hull top was quite well detailed to my eyes.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Well this one isn't taking long at all - it simply 'clips' together.  I tried the turret hatch for size...

ITIV008.jpg

It seemed to stand a bit 'proud' and I wasn't overly happy with the 'slot' behind the mantlet - time for a bit of actual 'modelling'...

ITIV009.jpg

ITIV010.jpg

ITIV011.jpg

The connection posts between the top and bottom hulls are a snug fit though - so I'll leave these in place...

ITIV012.jpg

I've 'pushed' the track / wheels assemblies on by hand for now and will pull them off again later for better painting of the tracks and wheel rims - time to prime...

ITIV013.jpg

ITIV014.jpg

...a bit of dunkelgelb later - thanks for looking in - Steve

• Like 1

Great progress!

A quick thought - the panzer iv f2 was produced before dunkelgelb was introduced (in Feb 1943), so it would be either panzer grey or afrika korps tan.

If you fancy the afrika korps let me know and I'll sort some paint matches for you.

All the best

Ben

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, badger said:

Great progress!

A quick thought - the panzer iv f2 was produced before dunkelgelb was introduced (in Feb 1943), so it would be either panzer grey or afrika korps tan.

If you fancy the afrika korps let me know and I'll sort some paint matches for you.

All the best

Ben

:doh:DOH...  could my Hitlerjungden have found one lying around in Normandy and in their haste to use any means possible to stall the allies give it a quick re-spray - he says clutching wildly at straws... :whistle:

47 minutes ago, BIG X said:

:doh:DOH...  could my Hitlerjungden have found one lying around in Normandy and in their haste to use any means possible to stall the allies give it a quick re-spray - he says clutching wildly at straws... :whistle:

There's not much difference between an F2 and the early G other than the muzzle brake and it's much more plausible they could have had a G (and dunkelgelb would work) as F2s only seem to pop up in Russia and North Africa.

Shall I pop you a spare revell barrel in the post? 

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, badger said:

There's not much difference between an F2 and the early G other than the muzzle brake and it's much more plausible they could have had a G (and dunkelgelb would work) as F2s only seem to pop up in Russia and North Africa.

Shall I pop you a spare revell barrel in the post? 

All the best

Ben

Hi Ben - you will be proud of me...  I've been doing a bit of googling and drilled an extra baffle in my muzzle brake - to mimic a G and removed the small side vision ports off the turret.  Thanks for the offer of the barrel - I know you use metal barrels - but I think I've pulled it off - apart from...

ITIV015.jpg

I've badly stabbed my thumb in the process :lol: :shocked: :doh:

• Sad 1

I think I have beggared my chances of anymore progress today - my thumb is killing - here's the muzzle brake...

ITIV016.jpg

...trust me - this is a massive blow up - it looks OK to the naked eye.  Here is where the side vision ports 'were'...

ITIV017.jpg

ITIV018.jpg

I have to admit I was concerned about them being there anyway - as that's where I want to put my numbers.

Looks like I'm in for a quiet afternoon now nursing my poorly thumb.👍

• Like 2

• BIG X changed the title to BIG X's Italeri 1/72 Panzer IV - Now an early G - honestly

Oh dear - think you qualify for an iron cross second class for that wound.

Great progress and a nice save on the panzer.

Hope the thumb heals quickly :fingerscrossed:

All the best

Ben

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, badger said:

Oh dear - think you qualify for an iron cross second class for that wound.

Great progress and a nice save on the panzer.

Hope the thumb heals quickly :fingerscrossed:

All the best

Ben

I think we should start a Britmodeller  medal system :lol:

• Haha 1

Another update - this could get confusing - but this is the ITALERI - QUICK BUILD - this has caught up with the REVELL and I am now working on them 'in tandem' - so here goes...

I temporarily popped the tracks on the hull and then applied dunkelgelb - liberally...

ITIV019.jpg

once that was done - the tracks were back off...

ITIV020.jpg

...for painting the rubber tyres and track itself...

ITIV021.jpg

then they went back on again...

ITIV022.jpg

and finally - the tricolour....

ITIV023.jpg

again - hopefully tonight I'll get the tools painted and we can gloss it up for decaling.

It's all go - Steve

• Like 2

Things are drawing to a conclusion on my 4 various builds and everything is getting to the same stage - so here is a final update - decals attached to the Italeri...

ITIV025.jpg

I also glued the 2 hull halves together and then applied a black wash...

ITIV026.jpg

ITIV027.jpg

I'll now merge any updates on this with the Revell as they are being finished together.

Thanks for taking a peek - Steve

• Like 3

• BIG X changed the title to 1/72 Italeri Panzer IV +++COMPLETED+++

This one is complete too - 8 days - not bad for me - including a stabbed thumb that laid me off for a couple of days - here it is...

ITIV028.jpg

ITIV029.jpg

Thanks go to @badger who donated this 'quick build' kit - thanks mate.

...and thanks for all the encouragement folks - Steve

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, badger said:

Wow - I miss a day of the gb to come back and find out it's all over.

Time for time and medals!

That turned out brilliantly - well done!

All down to you mate - it was your present to me - so thanks a million - a lovely little tank. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1