USMC AV-8C two-tone green camouflage.

Doug

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I agree with Giorgio ... Those are some off colors ? I always thought the AV-8A’s were in the standard British pattern and colors ? 

As were delivered in UK Colours, later re-painted in FS Colors.

The example above looks dreadful

Julien

• Thanks 1

hi folks after a few more hours research i discovered that this is a gate Guard scheme, never used operationally and sits outside a marines museum!!!! shame as I really like it, but hey there you go. Thanks for your comments Doug S.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Doug said:

I really like it, but hey there you go.

I'm with @Hook on that one - the colours are somewhat ... 'unusual' but it's your model, so enjoy!  Plus you have the photographic evidence of the original with which to confound the doubters.

1 hour ago, Doug said:

hi folks after a few more hours research i discovered that this is a gate Guard scheme, never used operationally and sits outside a marines museum!!!! shame as I really like it, but hey there you go. Thanks for your comments Doug S.

Your model. Paint it whatever scheme you want too. You could even paint it pink with purple spots ! !

Regards

MM

3 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

Plus you have the photographic evidence of the original with which to confound the doubters.

No "confound the doubters" closer -

"scare at night AV-8A expert!" - if you behave badly, then I will paint AV-8C in such colors!

😁😁😁

On 2/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, Doug said:

any idea which FS numbers best represent this scheme

....any modern shade  FS that uses USMC?

....helicopter, "aggressor" or special operations aircraft FS ?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

Crazy museum reconstructor, deprived of the Internet, technical manuals, photo, ..... who can not read and write, meaningless and merciless - they are everywhere!

😢

• 2 years later...
On 16/02/2019 at 17:02, Giorgio N said:

Look like a very bad museum repaint, Wonder if they even bothered using fs paints.

USMC AV-8Cs had lower surfaces in grey,  iirc 36440

the scheme is real, here’s the same AV-8C during its service life, the scheme is far darker here however 

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

the scheme is real, here’s the same AV-8C during its service life, the scheme is far darker here however 

The scheme shown in this picture does not seem to have anything in common with the scheme as applied today: not only the colours are different (the picture taken in service seems to me to show a standard grey and green scheme) but the demarcation of the colours on the top surfaces is also different

Those colors might be appropriate for  major kitchen appliances in the '70's, but certainly not for a Marine AV-8A or C. :giggle:  Sometimes glossy, but not those colors! Had me reaching for an airsickness bag! See the links for some information. There has also been discussion on this topic here on BM so you could look for them. This should get you started.

Mike

https://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/us-marines-av-8a-harrier-decals

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/284888-av-8a-low-viz-camo-colors/

https://www.italeri.com/en/product/2786

On 04/03/2021 at 15:36, Giorgio N said:

The scheme shown in this picture does not seem to have anything in common with the scheme as applied today: not only the colours are different (the picture taken in service seems to me to show a standard grey and green scheme) but the demarcation of the colours on the top surfaces is also different

The scheme is a different shade compared to regular AV-8Cs

On 3/7/2021 at 2:05 AM, SuKhoi_Fitter said:

The scheme is a different shade compared to regular AV-8Cs

Do you have any more pictures that would show that ? Not saying it wasn't so, on the contrary I'd be very happy to see a different scheme, just that the picture posted above does not really look much different from the standard scheme, If there are other pictures that better show the use of a 2-green scheme, I'd be very happy to see them