F-86 Sabre USAF Fighter Bomber Unit- Korea

Courageous

Hi all.

After watching this YouTube video I find myself deficient of a Fighter Bomber Sabre in my growing collection of Sabres in 1/72

• Firstly, can anybody tell me where the bomb pylon would be located as I have heard/ read and seen different things. I've read that due to fuel tank plumbing, the bomb pylon is located further outboard but the video shows it located inboard of wing tank?
  • Does anybody have a better image of the bomb pylon?
  • Does a decal sheet exist for Fighter Bomber Unit from Korea, for an F-86 Sabre?

Hopefully @Sabrejet, @Tony Edmundson and other helpful fellows will bale me out.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous

Bomb pylons, various: fitted on dual-store wings in the inbd/ferry tank location. Here it's fitted with a rocket pylon (with Delmar target gear attached), in between the bomb pylon and the drop tank.

pylon

And a couple more.

pylon 3

pylon 2

The bomb pylon has two sway braces and an aft attachment for towing flag targets.

pylon 5pylon 5pylon 4

On dual-store wings the drop tank is usually on the outboard pylon and the inner location (if anything is installed) has the bomb pylon or ferry beam installed. It's rare (but not unheard of) to have a drop tank on the inner and nothing located outbd. Outer drop tank pylon is located further outbd than the location on the single-store wing. Pylon locations explained here:

Pylons1

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Bomb pylons

Thanks for sharing Duncan, very useful. From a 1/72 perspective, what would the distance be from centre line to the inboard pylon at Sta 72 and while we're at it, can we confirm the distances to Sta 99 and Sta 118? What about the bomb pylon length?

2 hours ago, Tony Edmundson said:

Always wondered why the various F-86F kits have their pylons mounted wider than Sta 99,  now I know,  it's after serial numbers  51-13170.

Would you say that the kits have the mount fitted at Sta 118?

Stuart

• Like 1

In 1/72 the Buttock Planes are (measured from the aircraft centre line):

BP 72 1/4: 25.5mm

BP 99 1/2: 35mm

BP 118: 41.5mm

(figures rounded to nearest 1/10th of an mm)

I'd do a kit-by-kit analysis because I suspect some got it right while others didn't. Manufacturers have a nasty habit of re-boxing their 'F-86F; as a 'Sabre 6' without changing anything but the decals.

• Thanks 1

Stuart,

My choice would be Col. Benz's mount, for obvious reasons, but be careful, as the Sabre pictured on the Printscale sheet is not correct, FU-427 was not a 6-3 wing F-86F-30 Sabre, but was an F-86F-10/15, I think. I have attached a link to a neat website that has the history of the 8th, great Korean war coverage, and a photo of  his Sabre, FU-427 that clearly shows it was a slatted-wing, normal span F-86F at the time the photo was taken. It could have had the 6-3 wing factory modification kit fitted at some point, so I guess you could go either way if you choose his mount- I guess it depends upon how easy it is for you (probably a snap with your modeling skills!) to make a slatted wing Sabre out of a kit that has the 6-3 wing. My dad's C.O. Woodrow Wilmot, took over command of the 8th at war's end, and his Sabre was definitely an F-86F-30 with the 6-3 wing- I know this 'cause I sat in it! I'm hoping to do Col. Benz's 'Dirty Old Man,' as it's a slatted-wing Sabre, and then do Woody's 'Miss Teena,' as she is a 6-3 wing F-86F-30 Sabre. Hope you and the others enjoy the site!

Mike

http://yocumusa.com/sweetrose//sabrepilots/sabrejetclassics/sjc131.pdf

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1