Spitfire swansong

Thank you gentlemen. Kind of you all to say so :blush:

No photograph yet but last night was spent trying to fit the undercarriage legs. It took almost an hour because, quite frankly, they don't. The pegs are too thick and the sockets not square so a lot of trimming was required. As well as a lot of swearing and searching when one shot off the tweezers and disappeared. It made quite an impressive bid for freedom as well! Next time I build this kit the legs and sockets will get plenty of attention early on in proceedings. Hmm, now that I mention that, wonder how a silver 602 Sqn. Mk. 21 will look next to the 22... :hmmm:

3 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Looking excellent Col, and a 602 Sqn Mk21 would finish it off nicely 😉

It'll take a bit of butchery to the Mk.22 kit but got to be worth a go :) 

• Like 1

Minor progress again.

2019-04-01_04-49-30

The entry door got a little extra detail added including a new crowbar then fixed into place, the exhausts have had their ends drilled out and painted, and the propellor assembly painted and decalled. I was feeling quite pleased about all this until a read through my reference book made me realise that shiny black spinner should be dark blue :doh:

• Like 4

Almost there...

2019-04-02_07-56-16

Repainted the spinner last night then attached that assembly and the exhausts this morning.

Only the canopy and whip aerial remain to be done.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, rafalbert said:

Awesome job, you have done 602 proud!

Thank you :blush:

I enjoyed this project so much another copy of the kit got pulled from my stash and this done to it...

2019-04-05_08-28-52

High time I plucked up the courage to do that Mk.21 to sit beside the 22 :) 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 9:41 AM, CliffB said:

Very nice Col. I do love a silver Spit :goodjob:

Thanks Cliff. The overall silver serves to show the lines of a Spitfire to great advantage I feel.

On 4/13/2019 at 2:25 PM, Wez said:

Nice job Col, well done!

Good luck with the Mk21.

Thanks Wez. I've hacked up the kit to get the worst part out of the way first in case I make a mess of it :rolleyes:

On 4/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, modelling minion said:

Excellent work Col, she looks great.

I do like the combination of the silver finish and hi-vis roundels.

Thanks Craig. If all goes well I'll finish the 21 in the same scheme for comparison. If not so well I'll use the camouflage scheme to, err... camouflage the mess. If I make a complete hash of it I'll shut up and we'll quietly forget this ever happened, okay?

In the meantime here's how the 21 is going...

2019-04-15_08-41-13

The ingredients for this recipe are :- 

The Airfix Spitfire 22 kit

An old KP Spitfire IX fueslage

A Pavla resin seat

A spare canopy from a Tamiya Vb

A spare rudder from a Special Hobby Seafire 45

2019-04-15_08-45-26

Added some detail into the ccokpit area already but at the moment I'm thinking the best course of action is to dry assemble the Airfix fuselage and Tamiya canopy then get one side of the high-back fuselage sorted out. Once that's sorted the other side should be much easier to match up and then the interior can be finished.

Edited by Col.
  • Like 4

Lots of measuring and cutting and measuring and triming and measuring and sanding and measuring and scraping and measuring... well, you know how these things go, has got me this,

2019-04-20_01-03-34

Now I can go back to making the interior bits fit :) 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Col. said:

Lots of measuring and cutting and measuring and triming and measuring and sanding and measuring and scraping and measuring... well, you know how these things go, has got me this,

That's the best bit! In fact one I get past it I often fail to finish a build, I understand paint and models but not in relation to each other :) Love the 22 camo on the 21 would make a good contrast IMHO.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, SleeperService said:

That's the best bit! In fact one I get past it I often fail to finish a build, I understand paint and models but not in relation to each other :) Love the 22 camo on the 21 would make a good contrast IMHO.

:lol: 

I'm thinking to go for the overall silver again to highlight the shape differences but that all depends on how good my hacking and blending goes ;) 

On 4/21/2019 at 11:16 AM, Angus Tura said:

Col,

I missed your Mk.22. Very nice.

I am impressed with the masochistic approach to the Mk.21 avoiding the Special Hobby kit!

Alan

I've built the Special Hobby Seafire 45 so wouldn't have an issue with their 21 kit but alas don't have a copy in the stash so just making use of what I've got :) 

• Like 1