Found at the back of the garage - Airfix 1:72 Boomerang

While fossicking around in the garage, I found this old friend covered in muck and dust.

46385757294_d17ca9124d_b.jpg

This was built at least 15 years ago, if not more, when I first returned to the hobby. Brush painted in Humbrol enamels, made dirty with water colours and finished with a coat of Humbrol Matt Coat. Surprisingly all still in one piece.

33234178218_dab9468997_b.jpg

33234178268_0b056d8073_b.jpg

33234178258_689b39873f_b.jpg

40144657573_09a785060b_b.jpg

40144657713_72878e370c_b.jpg

• Like 36

What a little beauty! 

When I first returned to the hobby around 2003, this was one of the first models I built too. £3.00 secondhand from a now closed Sheffield model shop.

It’s a lovely kit by Airfix, you did a great job, the 15 years plus your original weathering genuinely have worked to make it look more real 👍.

Very glad to see that it’s no longer forgotten in your garage!

Nice sunny photographs make it look in its native environment (where I’ve ended up).

This could be a whole new organic, time based weathering/ageing approach 👴  😂 !

:goodjob: 

TonyT

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Nice sunny photographs make it look in its native environment (where I’ve ended up).

In the front yard here in Perth, WA 😁

10 minutes ago, Josh G said:

Cool, That was my return-to-the-hobby kit too, in 1997. Doing the Special Hobby 1/48 one now 

Thanks. What’s it like? Was playing with getting that or the 1/72 Special Hobby kit.

Very cool!

I had the Airfix kit back around '80 or '81 but my University studies got in the way and I never returned to the hobby until about 1990.

My unfinished build probably went into the garbage, courtesy of my Mum.  

Your "survivor" is a top effort, especially for a re-entry to the hobby.

Thanks for showing us.

👍

23 hours ago, SimonL said:

In the front yard here in Perth, WA 😁

Thanks. What’s it like? Was playing with getting that or the 1/72 Special Hobby kit.

A bit tricky, bit of flash, plenty to do but it's promising, I've only done the cockpit and some of the fuselage halves so far. I'm not very adept at building but someone with talent would make a beauty. 

• Thanks 1

Thats in amazing nick for a garage find, mine would have a huntsman guarding it and a redback poking his head out of the cockpit!! Great recovery and it might inspire me to dig around in some boxes at the back of the shed, I'm sure I've a couple of golden oldies hidden there.

• Thanks 1