UTVA BC-3 Troika, Aeropoxy 1/72

Seen worse kits then this, try unicraft models... Find the pieces, the resin is so hard, brittle and misshapen... Only for hardcore fans with a lot of time. Found one build of somebody who complete my remade it by using the parts as a master...

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11032&p=albums&album=41731&view=list

But... You're making this one count...

Edited by Silenoz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Seen worse kits then this, try unicraft models... Find the pieces, the resin is so hard, brittle and misshapen... Only for hardcore fans with a lot of time. Found one build of somebody who complete my remade it by using the parts as a master...

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=11032&p=albums&album=41731&view=list

But... You're making this one count...

My older son (also a modeler) got one Unicraft kit...and had to hide it in the closet, out of his sight.

Eventually he managed to get rid of it under the shadows of night.

1 hour ago, John Aero said:

Can you get small tubes of Bondo which is a car body filler? The only tubes I could get were £16.00 a tube of  about 9" by 2"round and they dried up before I could use a sixth of the tube.

John

Hi John, more or less the same size is what I got here too.

I paid U$D 7, plus S&H, may be the same amount over.

40216153943_b3c306a87b_m.jpg

Hi, Moa!

I am a fan of your work (here and in your website). Not only are they great works but they are all very original. I also try to get out of the usual kits...

I have Aeropoxy Troika. So, I know how hard it is. Mine is still pending to built. I follow you with wide eyes :)

By the way, I felt in love of your SM.79 I-ALAN. Y have the same kit, same decals and really want to start it. I would like to ask you some questions about the construction...

Cheers!

Miguel

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Mihajlo said:

Hi, Moa!

I am a fan of your work (here and in your website). Not only are they great works but they are all very original. I also try to get out of the usual kits...

I have Aeropoxy Troika. So, I know how hard it is. Mine is still pending to built. I follow you with wide eyes :)

By the way, I felt in love of your SM.79 I-ALAN. Y have the same kit, same decals and really want to start it. I would like to ask you some questions about the construction...

Cheers!

Miguel

Hi Miguel

Thanks for your kind words.

Although may be you have already visited it, just in case, you can see the building process here.:

In my blog, that you have already visited too, it's a more extensive post that perhaps you have seen already too. If questions remain, you can use the private message feature here at Britmodeller to send a direct message to me, with your email address, and then we can communicate. Questions are welcome, as long as they are not too many or take too long! :unsure:

Un saludo cordial y quedo a la espera de tu mensaje.

Cheers

The original looks like the offspring of a Chipmunk and a Yak-18. Too bad the parts are in such a bad shape.

• Haha 1

The final stages: interior in place, decaling, preparation of the canopy (the process of trimming it to fit correctly took about an hour, not an easy one, and the resin block in the kit does not help much) It conforms in genral to the shape, but it is not a close fit, and will have to forced on during gluing (the culprit is the front contour, which departs on the sides from the kit's fuselage shape.

Since I trashed the despicable part that was supposed to represent the landing gear cross wires with the cover for the shock absorption array, I did it with real wires and just a blob of white glue, painted once set.I added the exhaust stacks using metal tube short lengths.

The optional instrument panel decal could not be used, since I had painted the area black and the black decal did not have a white underlayer (thus the instrument read: all is black). You could use it providing a white background, I just left the kit's resin part that was there already anyway.

47283561971_2cfd26bf3c_b.jpg

• Like 2

The decals behaved very well.

The canopy was glued on:

47240929342_f7e16a0901_b.jpg

Unfortunately by the time I attempted to use the provided canopy frames (as plotted vinyl), I discovered that the frames are stubbornly stuck to the backing sheet.

Whatever this is because the kit is too old, or the cutting blade was blunt, or some other reason, I don't know.

The resource now is to follow all the contours painstakingly with a new blade, praying that this will help, but as soon as you start to try to pull the part, it starts to stretch and deform as it refuses to detach.

Bummer!

32351314017_700471be36_b.jpg

After some time huffing and puffing (and cursing in two languages) I realized it is impossible to properly detach these frames from their backing sheet.

The culprit is most likely that the depth set for the cutting tool was too shallow, so it never really cut through the vinyl completely. The tool is supposed to cut through the vinyl and stop before cutting the backing paper, but this one just scored the vinyl.

• Like 1

Cutting bits from here and there and the parts that could be cut out with an Xacto, I managed to make a provisional framing until hopefully a replacement from the manufacturer arrives (I told as said to my friend to write to Aeropoxy asking for a replacement that hopefully works).

I will post the completed model as it is now, and if I ever receive a replacement I will add that eventually.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Moa said:

Cutting bits from here and there and the parts that could be cut out with an Xacto, I managed to make a provisional framing until hopefully a replacement from the manufacturer arrives (I told as said to my friend to write to Aeropoxy asking for a replacement that hopefully works).

I will post the completed model as it is now, and if I ever receive a replacement I will add that eventually.

Nice build so far, MOA.

You certainly have pre 2010. release of Troika kit, which is cast from US Smooth-ON SmoothCast SC 310 resin , which is white and have tendency to produce CO2 while curing, which cause tinny bubbles under  surface. We switched to SIKA Biresin in 2010 (tan coloured resin) and this problem with tinny bubbles is almost solved.

Re Canopy frames, they are probably dried and unusable after 8-9 year at shelf. Just drop me your address via PM and i will airmail fresh set directly to you, FoC.

Re @JOHN AERO comments, which are "pretty unpleasant" at any topic related to AEROPOXY products, over the Britmodeller that  my kits are  " just models with very bad manners " , maybee , but i'd rather stay polite in communication and not go that bad manner way like Mr. Adams.

We started our resin kit production in 1993. Kits were made from epoxy resin, from German "Multiplex" RC modelling company, under MultiPoxy label. So, we chose AeroPoxy to be ours  brand name , and after 25 years of small business running, we do not intend to change our name just due the some not like the "POXY" suffix and associates them with a completely different term. 

The bundle of products in the modeling world has the same term in its name, and it does not bother anyone except mr Adams. 

3WsCtuo.jpg

To conclude with an inspiring 1950's Youtube clip

Happy Modelling,

Edited by Supercuber

5 hours ago, Supercuber said:

Nice build so far, MOA.

You certainly have pre 2010. release of Troika kit, which is cast from US Smooth-ON SmoothCast SC 310 resin , which is white and have tendency to produce CO2 while curing, which cause tinny bubbles under  surface. We switched to SIKA Biresin in 2010 (tan coloured resin) and this problem with tinny bubbles is almost solved.

Re Canopy frames, they are probably dried and unusable after 8-9 year at shelf. Just drop me your address via PM and i will airmail fresh set directly to you, FoC.

Re @JOHN AERO comments, which are "pretty unpleasant" at any topic related to AEROPOXY products, over the Britmodeller that  my kits are  " just models with very bad manners " , maybee , but i'd rather stay polite in communication and not go that bad manner way like Mr. Adams.

We started our resin kit production in 1993. Kits were made from epoxy resin, from German "Multiplex" RC modelling company, under MultiPoxy label. So, we chose AeroPoxy to be ours  brand name , and after 25 years of small business running, we do not intend to change our name just due the some not like the "POXY" suffix and associates them with a completely different term. 

The bundle of products in the modeling world has the same term in its name, and it does not bother anyone except mr Adams. 

Hi Supercuber

I Have added a note describing what you state regarding the resin and the vinyl in the header of the completed model post (RFI), to make modelers aware that this build was based on an old kit made with a different resin.

I understand your feelings, but just bear in mind that sometimes comments are tongue-in-cheek and/or made in a light mood. I can assure you that John did not really mean the comment as hurtful, I know John and he is a very nice person with good ethics, but sometimes jokes -or jokingly comments, or plays on words made at the spur of the moment-, especially written, do not convey what they mean.

Best regards

• Like 1