regarding white areas on black finished Hawks?

Smudge

I am modelling a FRADU BAe Hawk T.1a in the current all over black scheme.

However the aircraft I am doing has white wing root and upper wing tip markings. The decal sheet instructions I am using doesn't show the underside, so I am not sure if the white area should extend to the underside. 

Does anyone know if the underside of the wing tips (or any other area) should be white?

Also, whilst I'm asking, does anyone know the significance or reasoning behind these white markings. They only seem to appear on a few aircraft. I recall seeing a similarly marked Alpha Jet, when they were used by RAF/QinetiQ. Just wondering!

Cheers.

Edited by Smudge

I'm not sure of the relevance of the white markings, although I believe that the Hawks that featured them often seemed to be on the strength of various Boscombe Down units. For photographic calibration, perhaps? I seem to recall that the Dominie had white areas as well when it went black.

Can I question whether the aircraft you are depicting had white areas in its FRADU days? Living near to Culdrose I think I must have seen every Hawk that passed through FRADU/736 NAS' hands and I cannot ever remember seeing any with the white areas. If you are certain, my apologies.

• Thanks 1

Smudge,

I presume you're doing XX346 from the Model Art sheet? If so there are very few images of this aircraft with the stripes, however it looks like they were only on the upper surfaces. Have a look at the following links,

FRADU Hawks XX346 and XX346 at Airliners.net  XX346 on Flickr

Hope this helps,

Mark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have photos of XX205 wearing these markings at Culdrose in 1996. By the time I saw it again at Culdrose in 1998 they had been removed. 

I also have photos of XX346 wearing these markings at Culdrose in 1997 and 1998.

From what I can see it is just the upper surfaces marked with the white wing tips/roots.  If you are modelling an aircraft post 2000 I wouldn't bother with the white bits.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

Can I question whether the aircraft you are depicting had white areas in its FRADU days? Living near to Culdrose I think I must have seen every Hawk that passed through FRADU/736 NAS' hands and I cannot ever remember seeing any with the white areas. If you are certain, my apologies.

Hi, Truro. No worries, thanks for your interest. I think Harry Lime has answered your questions......

10 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I presume you're doing XX346 from the Model Art sheet? If so there are very few images of this aircraft with the stripes, however it looks like they were only on the upper surfaces. Have a look at the following links,

FRADU Hawks XX346 and XX346 at Airliners.net  XX346 on Flickr

Thanks, Harry. Yes that's the one. XX346 from the Model Art sheet. I do have the info from the FRADU Hawks website (which is absolutely brilliant by the way) 

I was wondering if the white extended to the undersides, because this was the case on the similarly marked AlphaJets. 

resized_117e9d5d-2159-4771-8dd9-0aecf60e

resized_69ecf58e-089b-46a9-8297-65cbcf08

It's a shame that there does not seem to be any clear pictures of the underside. 

She appeared with FRADU in 1995 in the black scheme without the white markings, and then at Culdrose Air Day 1997 with the white markings, so obviously applied by FRADU for some purpose. I wondered if maybe for a target towing/conspicuity trial?

Thank you for your help.

AlphaJet photos courtesy of me :) 

7 minutes ago, Evalman said:

I have photos of XX205 wearing these markings at Culdrose in 1996. By the time I saw it again at Culdrose in 1998 they had been removed. 

I also have photos of XX346 wearing these markings at Culdrose in 1997 and 1998.

From what I can see it is just the upper surfaces marked with the white wing tips/roots.  If you are modelling an aircraft post 2000 I wouldn't bother with the white bits.

Thanks. It's the white bits that make it a little bit more interesting :winkgrin: to me anyway.