Next out of the stash - a Lynx AH-7

chrislowe

The GR-1A is done. Time to relax, but of course the first thing on my mind is... what next? To tell the truth, I'm super excited about the Chinook, but I want to do a good job of that so I feel like I should warn up on another chopper. 

That's where the Lynx comes in.

Deep breath. Here goes.

The first part is the interior and the first step of that is the seats. There's lots of reference material including a walk around of the actual AH-7, so no excuses. 

I had an idea to try to give more of a stretched material look to the seats in the back, and improve the back of the seat slightly using some plasticard.

Here's a comparison between the standard one and my chopped one

IMG_20190118_182032

And with a bit of paint, hopefully you can see what I was aiming for

IMG_20190119_223753

Then all the usual PE in the cockpit

IMG_20190120_112825

IMG_20190126_225652

And then the front seats. I cut squares of microfibre for the sheepskin.

2019-02-16_11-04-47

IMG_20190127_122125

And some embellishments on the back inspired by @Lynx7's seats in his 1:32 conversion.

IMG_20190127_122250

I'm not sure it's 100% accurate for the armoured seats, but I think they came out ok.

Then I had to do the same treatment as before to the other bench seat.

IMG_20190130_222350

And finally the seats in the rear bulkhead.

IMG_20190202_213120

As usual for a Lynx build, I added the wires hanging from the ceiling.

IMG_20190202_213445

And one last touch of PE on the side panels

IMG_20190203_095954

And that's the interior. Next post, closing up the fuselage, Exterior PE and filling *all* the gaps.

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 12

So next was the fuselage, the exterior PE and the gaps...

IMG_20190208_221030IMG_20190208_221054IMG_20190209_173922

These little handles were trying to be the most fiddly PE ever

IMG_20190211_223750

You can't tell, but I cut the plastic from behind the mesh

IMG_20190211_223838

Nearly ready for paint once I get this last door in...

IMG_20190211_223916

And that's us, up to date. I'm gonna try something I've never done before when I paint the grey/green. 

Thanks for looking

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 8

You're really setting a cracking pace with this Chris without compromising the quality either.  Do like those rear seats, showing the metal tube frames really adds to the build.  Also impressed with the PE and will invest in some before I tackle the two AH.7s and the naval version I have in the stash (one day!!!).

Looking forward to the next update.

Chris 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Blimey - you don’t hang about!  Nice job.

Thanks. I'm trying to get more than one to completion in a calendar year, but also trying to get better each time and try new stuff. Not sure if that's possible, but it'll be fun to find out.

15 hours ago, Fatcawthorne said:

You're really setting a cracking pace with this Chris without compromising the quality either.  Do like those rear seats, showing the metal tube frames really adds to the build.  Also impressed with the PE and will invest in some before I tackle the two AH.7s and the naval version I have in the stash (one day!!!).

Looking forward to the next update.

Chris 

Thanks! As far as I know, the big Ed set is in limited supply as it's discontinued, so maybe grab it if you see it. Watch out for the RBF tags though, they're more like US ones than UK ones. I think the interior / exterior PE is still available individually. 

• 2 weeks later...

More updates coming soon, I promise. In the meantime, does anyone have an effective way of painting the AN/ALQ144 disco ball? It looks like the kind of thing where one's chances of making a pigs ear out of it are much higher than doing a good job. 

The closest I've got to something close is a practice run with tamiya clear red mixed with silver, on the inside of an old canopy. Trouble is, only some of the elements seem to look redish. Depends on the angle of the light source I guess. Some elements look silvery and others look like they have a hint of yellow, but not so much that they look gold. 

Pain. Anguish.  

So to the aforementioned update... I have half the decals done.

IMG_20190228_215423

As you might imagine, because I had the PE door handle, this one was a little challenging

IMG_20190228_215440

I am very happy with the way that the Airfix decals respond to microsol. Especially the fire access panel and the roundel. I don't think the Xtradecals I used in the last kit were quite as responsive.

IMG_20190228_215618

So next up, obviously is the starboard side and the underside. That should give me some time to figure out what to do with the disco ball.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 7

So a bit of progress. I'm not 100% sure what these are called. I'm assuming they're to diffuse the heat of the exhaust and reduce the IR signature. Whatever they are they needed a but if filling and filing to get them looking ok.

IMG_20190304_221006

Some of the reference photos seemed to show the grill on the back somewhat lighter than just flat black, so I used a mig burnt iron.

IMG_20190304_221021

They look ok, I think

IMG_20190306_225712

I also had a crack at painting the ALQ144 IR jammer. I painted silver on the inside and different intensities of clear red on the outside

Trying to give the effect that each face reflects more / less intense shade from deep red through to silver, but it looks horrible

IMG_20190306_225829

I'm going to take it off and try a more even coverage.

Lastly I added the skids, and some of the blade antenna 

IMG_20190306_230018

Thanks for coming along.

• Like 7

Nice build.  I have been looking for a Lynx build to follow as I keep opening the box and then putting it back on the shelf.  Really don’t know enough about Lynxes to know how it should look.  I did fancy an earlier model but this kit looks good as it is.  Might skip those heat diffuser things as I always liked the simpler earlier look.

i am not normally a pe fan but this looks good - what set is it?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bar side said:

what set is it?

Thanks for the kind words. It's the Eduard Big Ed AH-7 set. I think you can get all the packs individually, if for example you just wanted the interior. 

Aha!  An 847NAS cab.  Good taste, Massimo.  [Was it you who was asking me about BERP blades?  Or was it Giorgio - you Italians all look alike...  Anyhow, if it was you note how visible the droop / anhedral is on the outer section of the BERP ‘paddle’ tip in this photo.]

• Like 2

Looking very good Chris

This disco ball thingmy, I am going to attempt the multicolour multi-faceted look using little slivers of metallised sweetie wrappers

Its a mucky job but somebody's got to eat 'em

I'm using several metallised Cadbury and Fry's packets go get colours all across the reflectosphere

I used plain golden orange for my CH-53D but this time round I'm going for non-gold

Cross your fingers and well see if it looks better than paint for it

Decision made

IF

I mean if I go into giant scale this Lynx is going to set me on my way, might start looking at shows for one....

😨

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress last week because I was over the pond, but I'm back now and ready to get going. 

One question for the collective wisdom of BM. What is the thing that hangs underneath just behind the doplar sensor, and what colour should it be?

This is it, in the PE...

IMG_20190320_213727

Thanks

Edited by chrislowe