Douglas CC-129

My build for this GB will be a Douglas CC-129.

CC-129 was the designation given by the Royal Canadian Air Force.   The kit is from Airfix, the Dakota Mk.IV boxing.   Decals are from Xtradecal sheet X72207, representing CC-129 No 927, which is now preserved and on display in the Alberta Aviation Museum.

Dak001.JPG

Let's look at the sprues.

Dak002.JPG

Dak003.JPG

Dak004.JPG

Dak005.JPG

Dak006.JPG

Look at all that wonderful Airfixy goodness!  :wub:  

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Apart from the decals, this is a straight OOB build.

The cockpit area has a number of bulkheads with some nice detailing - very little of which will be seen when the fuselage is closed up. One of the partions on the starboard side was distinctly curced. I thought thos was intentional as it looked to match the fuselage curvature.  Sadly, it wasn't.  I think the parts had bent when they were cooling.  It's not a problem thugh.  A bit of cyano and careful clamping meant that the partion took up the right position.

The floor was sprayed with a dark grey colour picked at random and then weathered with Flory Models grime wash.  The interior was sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1117 Interior green.

Dak007.JPG

The seat assemblies were sprayed olive drab - again picked at random - simply to give a little bit of variety to the interior.   The windows are designed to be fitted towards the end of the build.  I have a recurring nightmare of getting that sort of thing wrong and the window falling into the interior...  😨  So I took the opportunity to fit them now. 

Dak008.JPG

Here comes the bit I was dreading - assembling the fuselage!  I built the airfix new mould Lancaster a few years ago and that was a nightmare. The fuselage was just so long and flimsy that it was a total pain to assemble.  More recently I built the Airfix 1/48 Meteor, which was similar.  I was expecting similar from this kit.

It never happened!  :phew:

The fuselage halves went together very nicely, especially considering the amount of interior detail which could have messed up the fit.

Dak009.JPG

I masked the door appertures with lots of tissue paper and sealed them with masking tape and blutak.  I covered the transparencies to stop them getting damaged while I cleaned up the seams.

Having completed the cleanup, I masked the side windows.

Dak010.JPG

• Like 1