This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Baldy

Spitfire Mk.XVI - Eduard 1/48

A build from a couple of years ago, the excellent Eduard Spitfire XVI - built from the box with the addition of a wire aerial. There is some speculation that the serial should be RW394 and not RW393 but the serial is hidden from all but the bottom view anyway. No problems with the kit at all. Many people moan about the 2 piece cowl top but I simply superglued the 2 pieces together and carefully sanded away the joint - not losing too much of the delicate detail on the top. I have build a couple of the Eduard Spitfires and I tend to tack the cowl top on for painting, then remove to insert the exhausts, then replace the cowl top - saves tricky masking. With a bit of thinning of the props and drilling out the exhausts that was it. I acquired the attached picture of the real thing - bought to have a close look at the finish, which was fairly immaculate (obviously repainted for the 1949 Cooper Air Race at Elmdon - now Birmingham Airport- in which this aircraft took part). Unfortunately I didn't look close enough and the model (kit) contains a serious schoolboy error for which I must do some lines! Anyway - it is what it is and it has been around the show circuit for a couple of years and nobody has pulled me up on it!

kE030uX.jpg

NbqxSUC.jpg

jiSiFuM.jpg

ZfQUrUj.jpg

rfOrSDR.jpg

qkHS88S.jpg

Cheers

Malcolm

That’s a cracking model Malcolm, really nicely presented. :goodjob:

If were playing ‘spot the difference’ all I can see is that the spinner appears a bit blunt on the mode,l and the centre of the main wheel is slightly different, otherwise it’s perfect to my eyes. 

Totally beautiful Spitfire build! And I do like sanded down prop blades – in real life, they are very thin.

Pity about that fin flash, but nothing that couldn't be masked and corrected… ;-)

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

19 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Totally beautiful Spitfire build! And I do like sanded down prop blades – in real life, they are very thin.

Pity about that fin flash, but nothing that couldn't be masked and corrected… 😉

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

You got it Joachim - I must write out 100 times - Red at the front!!

Cheers

Malcolm

Just gorgeous. I looked at (or rather, drooled over) the pictures first THEN read your post. Yep, the fin flash! Spotted it immediately but only because I was looking for an error. Otherwise, oddly enough, it's not obvious, especially in the B&W photo. Whatever, it's a lovely build!