Spitfire Mk.XVI - Eduard 1/48

Baldy

A build from a couple of years ago, the excellent Eduard Spitfire XVI - built from the box with the addition of a wire aerial. There is some speculation that the serial should be RW394 and not RW393 but the serial is hidden from all but the bottom view anyway. No problems with the kit at all. Many people moan about the 2 piece cowl top but I simply superglued the 2 pieces together and carefully sanded away the joint - not losing too much of the delicate detail on the top. I have build a couple of the Eduard Spitfires and I tend to tack the cowl top on for painting, then remove to insert the exhausts, then replace the cowl top - saves tricky masking. With a bit of thinning of the props and drilling out the exhausts that was it. I acquired the attached picture of the real thing - bought to have a close look at the finish, which was fairly immaculate (obviously repainted for the 1949 Cooper Air Race at Elmdon - now Birmingham Airport- in which this aircraft took part). Unfortunately I didn't look close enough and the model (kit) contains a serious schoolboy error for which I must do some lines! Anyway - it is what it is and it has been around the show circuit for a couple of years and nobody has pulled me up on it!

kE030uX.jpg

NbqxSUC.jpg

jiSiFuM.jpg

ZfQUrUj.jpg

rfOrSDR.jpg

qkHS88S.jpg

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 47

That’s a cracking model Malcolm, really nicely presented. :goodjob:

If were playing ‘spot the difference’ all I can see is that the spinner appears a bit blunt on the mode,l and the centre of the main wheel is slightly different, otherwise it’s perfect to my eyes. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Spitfire31 said:

Totally beautiful Spitfire build! And I do like sanded down prop blades – in real life, they are very thin.

Pity about that fin flash, but nothing that couldn't be masked and corrected… 😉

Great modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

You got it Joachim - I must write out 100 times - Red at the front!!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

Just gorgeous. I looked at (or rather, drooled over) the pictures first THEN read your post. Yep, the fin flash! Spotted it immediately but only because I was looking for an error. Otherwise, oddly enough, it's not obvious, especially in the B&W photo. Whatever, it's a lovely build! 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

This is a lovely build, @Baldy. I note with interest the reversed colours of the fin flash - I'm looking at doing another Cooper Air Race Spit, SL718 (DFS camouflage rather than shiny aluminium). Eduard's callouts say that the fin flash on this one was likewise reversed, and b/w photographs of the aircraft bear this out. I wonder if this was something specific to the Cooper Air Race, and if so what the reasoning behind it was?

Cheers

Tony

EDIT: hang on, did you put it that way in error?

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

Tony, thank you for your kind comment.

I think my attached picture of the real thing shows that in this case the fin flash should have the red at the front as is the norm. Compare the front portion of the fin flash with the centre of the roundel. I don't know about SL818 I'm afraid but I would suggest that this too should have the red at the front. I will get round to correcting mine one day!

Interestingly - the later boxing of the Eduard XVI contains an addendum and corrected fin flash. 

Good luck with your build - this is a great little kit like all of the Eduard Spits!

Cheers

Malcolm

@Baldy I’m pretty sure that Eduard’s assertion that (for whatever reason) SL718’s fin flash was reversed is correct - compare the relative shades on the roundel:

spacer.png

I think the addendum fin flashes you mention are in my Profipack (I plan to do the French version from that, and the racer from the Weekend edition). I know this one goes back a while but I can send them to you if you’re fussed about correcting it, I don’t plan to build that particular scheme. 

Edited by TonyOD
  • Thanks 1

I believe that in this case you are right - it does look like the blue is at the front on this machine although it is of course easy to be fooled by b/w pictures.

Whatever - I'm looking forward to your build which will inspire further builds by me LOL

Thank you for the offer on the decals but I already have the later kit.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Baldy said:

I'm looking forward to your build which will inspire further builds by me LOL

Don't hold your breath, I have a build plan for a couple of dozen 1/48 Spits and it'll be a while before this one makes an appearance. In fact I have six XVI's planned - 1 x French, 1 x Belgian, 2 x station hacks and a couple of racers - although I have to admit that back-to-front fin flash is troubling my low-grade OCD.

20 hours ago, Baldy said:

Thank you for the offer on the decals but I already have the later kit.

Good stuff. Thought that might be the case!

Edited by TonyOD

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

A very clean, silver Spitfire.  Surprised it is only 1/72 as it looks so good.  Thanks for sharing.

Hey George - I'd be surprised too - it's 1/48 as per the title but thanks for your comment.

Cheers

malcolm

1 minute ago, Baldy said:

Hey George - I'd be surprised too - it's 1/48 as per the title but thanks for your comment.

Hey, senility is a terrible thing to waste.  I had just finished looking at another Spitfire build that was 1/72 and it just carried over here.  Regardless of my old age creeping in, it is a beautiful build.  I am always intimidated by metal/silver finishes as mine always turn out like crap and I have to repaint in a version that was camouflaged.   So, my hat's off to you for doing such a good job on this kit. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, georgeusa said:

Hey, senility is a terrible thing to waste.  I had just finished looking at another Spitfire build that was 1/72 and it just carried over here.  Regardless of my old age creeping in, it is a beautiful build.  I am always intimidated by metal/silver finishes as mine always turn out like crap and I have to repaint in a version that was camouflaged.   So, my hat's off to you for doing such a good job on this kit. 

LOL!! No worries - I have a deal of senility myself! Again - thank you for your kind comments. The trick to metal/silver finishes is simply preparation. If you can't get a nice shiny model with no joints or blemishes showing - paint it camo!

Cheers

Malcolm