Plain Jane Hawk

Enzo the Magnificent

My first build for this GB is an Airfix 1/72 Hawker Siddeley Hawk T.1.   It's definitely a Hawker Siddeley Hawk, as XX164 was the third production Hawk, built in 1976 before the formation of British Aerospace.

The first Hawks delivered to the RAF were painted in the training scheme which I always thought was quite plain, hence the title of this thread.  Since then I've come to appreciate the scheme more in part because I've found that it's actually quite difficult to paint satisfactorily due to the chance of the red bleeding into the white areas.

This model will use decals from Xtradecal sheet X72166 to represent Hawk T.1 XX164 of the Central Flying School, based at RAF Valley in 1977.

H001.JPG

• Like 6

Think I've already mentioned elsewhere in this GB that the Hawk seems to have worn a succession of cool colourschemes throughout its service life with the RAF and the original scheme is no exception :speak_cool:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colin W said:

No such thing as a boring Hawk scheme although the Aussies had a good try.

Colin 

But I think it was rectified when they went to darker tones of grey!

Good luck with the build Enzo, I recall when the Matchbox Hawk kit came out all those years ago the red/white scheme was the norm!

48 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Best of luck, I’d love to join with the later blue scheme from that sheet, but I know from experience I will make a hash of it....

Come on Stu, faint heart never won fair maiden !

Thats posh for give it a bleeding go anyway ;)

Cheers Pat

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Oh no, your temptation is working, even though the white stripe is given me the shivers......

I shouldn't worry.  Even if you completely foul it up, just imagine how much fun you'll have doing it! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1