Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless

My next build (that I'm working on along side my FW 198), is Airfix's 1:72 Douglas SBD-5 Dauntless. I have had this kit in my stash for some time, and as usual let my son decide what my next build would be.........and here it is......

IMG_20190210_154102

The kit contains a set of simple instructions, and a detailed decal sheet for both colour schemes.

IMG_20190210_154138

If the parts were originally all on a sprue, some of them have broken off, and most have a lot of flash. Most of the detailing/rivet markings are raised on the kit, which if I'm honest is not a favourite of mine, and adds to the challenge.

IMG_20190210_154138IMG_20190210_154142IMG_20190210_154146

There are a choice of 2 colour schemes, I am planning to build that of Groupe de Chasse-Bombardement 1/18 "Vendée", South France 1944. It will be a straight from the box build, with landing gear down. 

• Like 8

I love this old Airfix classic and look forward to following this build. It might even tempt me to finish mine, I have some Mexican Air Force decals for it that I want to use.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Hi Michelle,

welcome to the paleo-modelling club! Oldies, not always goldies, but modelers had to make do with it, as it was the only game in town!

I am sure you'll get a little beauty out of all these loose bits of plastic. And.... the decal sheet is at least very decent, compared to the original one... So not is all lost.

Just enjoy!!!

JR

• Like 1

I have started work on the Dauntless, after giving it a soapy wash, I gave the parts a blast of Vallejo primer. Once this had had time to dry I airbrushed the interior of the fuselage, cockpit floor and seats with the Vallejo equivalent of cockpit green and set it to one side.

IMG_20190213_214345

I then began adding some colour to my pilot and crew. I managed to find some colour photographs online of men who had flown onboard these aircraft during WWII, and set to work. 

IMG_20190214_214557

Leaving these to dry I began building the cockpit, before adding my crew and securing it into the fuselage. 

IMG_20190214_214817

As I expected from an aged kit, the cockpit didn't fit very well, lose in some places tight in others. However, with a little jiggling I managed to bring the halves together and tape them in place.

IMG_20190216_091321

IMG_20190216_091326

The seam is going to need a good sand, as a light coat of Mr.Surfacer 1000 has revealed. 

IMG_20190216_091332

My next job is to drill out the airbrakes, and build the wings.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I last posted my progress on this build, and I've realised quite a lot has happened. I have attached the wings and tail plane (this went together fairly well), and attached the engine and cowling (which didn't go together well). I then fitted the canopy (which really didn't fit together well.....grrr) and required a lot of filler! I then masked the glass up. A quick blast of cockpit green for the inside colour of the canopy frame and I was ready to prime. I have to say, a coat of Vallejo acrylic primer made the build look better. Then came the time consuming job of preshading. I loaded my airbrush with some Vallejo black and began carefully airbrushing over the panel lines. Once this was dry I masked up the top side of the build and airbrushed my Vallejo medium sea grey.

IMG_20190225_220457

The preshading is still visible, so another very light coat and the underside will be finished. I'm feeling happier now with the build.

• Like 8

Hi Michelle,

Now you are talking dirty!

Pre-shading, etc... For a paint brush user like myself, this is sci fi talk...

Whatever, you are doing a grand job with such an ancestor.

And as you are doing a French scheme, you are forgiven to be so high tech!

Keep having fun.

JR

• Thanks 1

A second coat of the medium sea grey and the Dauntless was ready to be masked up for the dark earth. I masked up the grey underside, carefully adding some Quick shine to the edges of the tape to hopefully eliminate any bleeding and set to work. I mixed up the dark earth (6:1) and began spraying. Although the build has raised panel lines and rivets and the plastic is rather, shall we say old, the paint settled well and I am very happy with the results.

IMG_20190228_220824

I plan to give it another light coat later and see how she looks then.

• Like 3

I have given the Dauntless another coat of Dark earth, and happy with the coverage sealed it in with Quick shine gloss varnish. I then masked up the wings to airbrush the black stripe (I opted to paint this on rather than use the decal). Once I was happy with the masking, I gave the aircraft a blast of black. Another coat of gloss and I can move on to decals.

2019-03-05_03-01-51

• Like 6

I have spent the last couple of evening's applying decals to the Dauntless. The decals themselves were fine, not thick or discoloured and came away from the backing paper easily. My mistake was not sanding the build down a little before I painted it. Because of this the decals had a very pimply surface to adhere to, which made applying them more time consuming. However, with the use of micro sol they have thankfully settled, and have been sealed in.

IMG_20190310_103328IMG_20190310_103340

IMG_20190310_103349

Soon time for a spot of weathering.

• Like 6

With the decals sealed in place I began weathering. First mixing up a dark grey wash for the underside, for this I used black and medium grey. Thinning the paint down with water I carefully brushed it over the underside, allowed it to dry a little, and wiped it gently away in the direction of airflow. I repeated the exercise a couple of times, before adding some oil stains and rust patches with Vallejo rust.

2019-03-13_07-17-21

I then secured the undercarriage in place using PA glue, and started work weathering the top. For this I mixed up some Vallejo brown and black, to make a dirt wash, and as before brushed it over the top side of the aircraft. Several coats applied and wiped away later I was happy with the effect. I applied some chipping with Vallejo Aluminium and left it to dry. Finally I added a coat or two of Vallejo satin varnish, and the aerial wire and the build is complete. For all its flaws, the build went together fairly well. The amount of flash, and raised rivet details were a challenge, but with patients the build has come together.

2019-03-13_07-14-592019-03-13_07-16-162019-03-13_07-16-56

I will post more photos in the ready for inspection forum, thanks for joining me on the build.

• Like 9